What's new

Covid reality

Maybe worth sharing as people seem a little fed up with it all at the moment.

I work in a wide variety of places and I'd estimate i visit around 120+ different establishments pee month from pubs, schools, hospitals, carehomes, prisons, food manufacturers, shops and many others.
I've been working right through the pandemic with the exception of a few weeks furloughed during the first national lockdown.

I use hand sanitiser before i enter a premises, sometimes during my inspections, and again when i leave.
I use a mask everywhere indoors but didn't up untill the government brought it in as advice.
I'd be careful what i touch and stopped touching my face thoughtlessly pretty early on.

I'd probably fair pretty well if i caught covid but I'm not so sure about wifey hence the reasons I've been very careful.
I've not knowingly breeched any of the given restrictions at said given times.

I know ive been in some proper covid infested places from food factories with nearly 20% down with it to pubs where the whole workforce went down with it also.
Ive been somewhere where over 25% of the establishment was either covid ridden or on isolation.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is given what i do and where i go I'd guess the risk of exposure for me would be extremely high but given the way I've behaved as detailed above it's meant that I've not caught it yet and so long as people follow the rules, are not thoughtless with face touching, mask wearing, hand washing, and sanitizing etc people can go about their normal business without catching it either.

Happy new year and here's hoping 2021 marks the back of all that has been 2020.

I feel pretty much the same, we've been careful, none of my family (or extended family that live near) have had it, none of my friends have had it.

...... or have we? I think I'm correct in saying (although this is worth checking) that only 1 in 3 people suffer symptoms that you might be worried about. I've had a snotty nose for a while a month back, my son had a occasional cough for a few days, my missus had a few days off work where she wasn't feeling too good a while back.

My brother inlaw had it (he lives in wales) he's a prison officer, neither his missus or his 2 kids got it, who he obviously shares a house with and until tested positive was having daily close contact with them. For that reason I also think that it isn't 'easy' to pass on.

The problems with covid and its spread is we have to many folks who don't know what they are doing or saying. I have had other members tell me i am wrong for who i blame i think they are either stupid or just looking for something to argue about, etc. But i know i am right, just common sense. But some folks do not understand the fact we are all individuals and Covid affects us all no matter, even if you never catch it. Someone you know might, someone you know might be vunerable.
You can bet those who argue have no underlying illness's, and just want to do as they wish.
Some people are to blame for the spread, round the midlands it's full of dickheads who all look the same and they are the ones who won't try to keep others safe and think of themselves only. Moaning about this and that, yet they have not had to shield they have been able to go out and about which has the potential to spread or catch Covid. Some of us have spent 10 months shielding and have been out less than others. But don't complain about the guidelines lockdowns etc. This is where my stance comes in. Whats wrong with spending 6 weeks or whateverin lockdown?. You have plenty of tech available to pass the time, plus you haven't got to mix with folks you may not want to, no body to spill your pint, no one getting in the way of the TV like in pubs. Plus you won't catch covid if you stay home or the chances are reduced to nearly nothing. Which is the idea of a lockdown.
Anyone who won't follow the rules could well be classed as criminal either manslaughter or intent to cause harm to others. If someone believes Covid is a myth they should be made to work on covid wards with no ppe, it may make them realise how bad the Covid is.
@StrawberryRipple i feel for you in your line of work, i wish you all the best in staying safe.
The forum is full of folks who have gave up smoking for health reasons etc, why can't everyone agree that Covid is like smoking, some will die from it some won't. I think the idea should be to avoid Covid like you now avoid smoking as both have the potential of death. How many folks on here have complained about having to vape around smokers?. I see Covid as the same, you don't want to breathe in second hand smoke so why risk catching second hand Covid?.

Maybe, but the tin foil hat lad says he's exempt from wearing one. He's fragile and says he can't have anything on his face [emoji57] yet he has a beard and his mobile phone is always stuck to it. [emoji34]
Face shield.

Excellent. I'll tell the boss that if mask wearing becomes compulsory and tell him I won't come to work if the bloke doesn't wear one.
Thanks.
There's someone I work with that struggles with a mask due to asthma. She wears a face shield. :)

There's someone I work with that struggles with a mask due to asthma. She wears a face shield. :)
I've seen older people wearing them in the street and in shop's so there's no excuse for other's not to if they don't want to wear a mask.
Sometimes I just think it's an excuse for some and they don't really suffer from anything. You would have thought if they did have a breathing problem of some sort they would want to protect themselves.

This new variant makes it a whole lot easier to catch apparently

I've seen older people wearing them in the street and in shop's so there's no excuse for other's not to if they don't want to wear a mask.
Sometimes I just think it's an excuse for some and they don't really suffer from anything. You would have thought if they did have a breathing problem of some sort they would want to protect themselves.

Breathable masks are available for those who feel they can't breathe in normal masks. I think those using said excuse should think about whether they prefer to put up with a bit of irritation or would they rather die? Face shields do not work they let in air from underneath the visor. they are usually for added protection by security staff etc incase they get spat at, they won't stop you breathing in the virus. If and only if someone has a real excuse ie a mask reminds them of being choked by an ex then they should class themselves as vunerable (due to no protection) and thus just stay home like other vunerable folks have to. It may sound harsh but it is the only way they can make sure they remain safe. One of the most common covid quotes is " I did try and tell them, but they wouldn't listen and now they are.......".
A friend of my Mums so a pensioner stayed in for weeks, then she's been to the shops, she had been out just to fetch money just to get out for an hour, The next week she is in hospital sadly she did not live. She wore masks. But like many others she got fed up staying in and it cost her her life.
So the proof is there, go out you can still catch covid even if you try to keep safe, no one really knows why covid kills some but not all and that's the biggy. what are the odds on winning this weeks lottery are 45'057'474 to one. yet folks enter it. Covid is a much lower odd's 66.65 million people live in the UK 75k have died which is 0.88% of the population so almost a 1 in hundred chance of dying but the transmission rate will be a bigger percentage as folks do survive. Lets see how bad things get the next 2 weeks, get ready for more lockdown time because it is coming.

Back
Top Bottom