What's new

Review Dr Johns liquids

u8myufo

Achiever
Here we go then :D Most if not all should know how subjective this can all be.The thoughts expressed here are of my own and are in no way influenced by either the vendor or POTV. I recently purchased 3 samples and a 30ml bottle.

As mentioned in a previous review the vender @drjohn can be easily contacted through his facebook page and again as mentioned answer any relevant questions.After placing the order my goods arrived in a timely fashion,all was as it should be with no leaks.The 30ml bottle had a screw tight top on it and was accompanied by a glass dropper cap to use.The label whilst looking pretty gave only an indication of the name of the vendor and the name of the liquid,no warnings either printed or a tactile poison sticky thing.The bottle was a good 30ml.The one I chose was the Smoke & Mirrors, just like that other chunt who did a review on this stuff, I also cannot get enough of the Castle Long.So after being reccomended the Smoke & Mirrors by said chunt,I had to give it a try, I knew it would be a tall order for anything to come close to satisfying my Five Prawns tastebuds but could not let the opportunity pass me by,especially with the price difference.

Ok I have now tried this in a couple of builds with a dripper and a Kayfun,I will not bore you all with the science of things as most of you all know how it works,but I have never just done one build and used one tank to get the feel of the quality of liquid I am using.So the advert goes.

SMOKE AND MIRRORS- The Dark Doctors brand new and most complex mix...a vape for the discerning vaper, hints of cognac, cream, vanilla, & ****** (well that would be telling!)

Well tbh I was pretty dissapointed,the taste itself is pleasant enough but for me the taste of cream and vanilla is non existent. The main flavour I am getting, and I would not mind betting, it is the ( well that would be telling) flavour, and that if I am guessing right is an Anise or similar.I learnt with the Castle long liquid in a tank and a variable that by changing the power one way or the other,you can actually push the different notes of the liquid forward or backwards to suite yoiur taste.Try as I might I cannot lose this Aniseed flavour if that is what it is.Would I buy it again? The verdict on that will remain open for a while whilst I let it steep for a couple of weeks or more and testing in between, but it will not replace my Castle Long.Like I say though to me it is not an unpleasant liquid,and is worth the £8.50 for 30ml I thought I would just come back to this one again after writing about the testers.The more I vape it the more it seems like a Snake Oil typo juice,not so strong and certainly not fruity but there is a complexity there for sure.

Moving on to the testers and once again I try a couple of variations with the builds to give it a chance.These findings will be rough and ready.

AMALTHEA- Mother to the gods, this is Dr Johns take on the mythical Mothers Milk Eliquid - a rich blend of Cream,vanilla, Cheescake, Dulche de Leche & Strawberrys.

Picking up slightly on the cream Vanilla and Strawberry,not much else happening.

MIDLIFE CRISIS- rich coffee flavour with a hint of chocolate and almond & walnut

Getting the Coffee but certainly not picking up on any other notes.

VELLOCET- a super creamy creme that uses 5 flavourings!

Not really sure what this tastes of tbh.

The reason I kept that brief was because as far as I am aware, the vendor makes up his orders fresh.I do not know if that includes the samples, so a bit of steeping might well improve things.I have also been trying to hunt down a good Coffee but so far have drawn a blank.Maybe Coffee is something nobody can get right at the moment,all the ones I have tried leave me with an almost synthetic taste in my mouth. As with the Coffee I have tried numerous claims to a Creme Brûlée, so far I have only found one which I favour. To me a Creme Brûlée should be just that,just like the real deal if you have evered tried it,adding other flavours to a pudding does nothing to add to the pleasure imo.Just like I tell the wife when she thinks adding Cinamon to bread and butter pudding or whatever makes it fucking special.

Well that is about it from me,you may try some of the liquids from Dr John and either agree or disagree,that is the nature of this game.I have tried to be as honest as I find here, I do not feel as if I have been ripped off so he can sleep easy, and I wish him all the best in the future.

Last edited:
Further to my review posted the other day, which was based on 1.5ml samples, I received a large bottle of Smoke & Mirrors this morning and I too am picking up notes of aniseed, something which wasn't there in the sample. I really hope that goes away with some steeping because what I had was a really nice juice, currently, this ain't it. I shall return to it after a week or so.

Further to my review posted the other day, which was based on 1.5ml samples, I received a large bottle of Smoke & Mirrors this morning and I too am picking up notes of aniseed, something which wasn't there in the sample. I really hope that goes away with some steeping because what I had was a really nice juice, currently, this ain't it. I shall return to it after a week or so.

Well after speaking to the Doc,he said he was surprised,but the extra flavour is in fact that of the Hibiscus Flower.All things being what they are it may well be some reaction going on in there,flavours do indeed change.Like I say it is certainly not unpleasant,just not what I was expecting to be honest.The other thing I would add after trying this a few more times,is that the overall taste seems very flat and watery,there is not that flavour kick what you get with a lot of liquids.Well the rest will go to steep now and see what happens.

/rant on

I'm growing a little tired of companies telling me that a liquid needs steeping. To the point where I probably won't buy them. I dunno, it seems a bit like a smokescreen to me, because the best e-liquids I've tasted have been fresh out of the bottle and haven't needed any further steeping. "This e-liquid is soooo much better after you've locked it up in a cool, pitch black zone where the temperature is regulated at a constant 6 degrees." Get away, If you want me to buy your product it should be fit for use when it comes through your letterbox. This isn't fine wine, it's e-juice.

I'm not suggesting that there isn't a place for steeping, but if small UK companies can pre-steep, then why can't all of them?

Actually, sod it. I am suggesting there isn't a place for steeping.

/rant off

Lol - even christmas cake benefits from a stand man. Calm yer neck n have some fine wine :grin2:

Hope its ok to pipe in on this thread rather than do a 'review' as such just to add my findings.

Received 3 of Dr John's this morning and reading the reviews on here thought i would give the Smoke & Mirrors a bash.
Seems to be a bit of mystery this one, i am not getting any aniseed type tastes, i am tasting the cognac and some other things but not any cream or vanilla. 'Tis a lovely vape tho, dont know why and this is probably me talking bollocks as been messing about trying to build coils all day and my head is bubbling but to me it feels like an evening type of vape, if that makes sense. can see me toasting in the new year with some of this in a my magma dripper with a morgans spiced & coke in the other hand.

Lol @the grumpy vapour, thats my sentiments exactly. The snake oil guy has got it right, if i remember his juices are sent on a rotational basis, where the juice he is mixing as i type this will be the ones sent out to customers in a months time.

/rant on

I'm growing a little tired of companies telling me that a liquid needs steeping. To the point where I probably won't buy them. I dunno, it seems a bit like a smokescreen to me, because the best e-liquids I've tasted have been fresh out of the bottle and haven't needed any further steeping. "This e-liquid is soooo much better after you've locked it up in a cool, pitch black zone where the temperature is regulated at a constant 6 degrees." Get away, If you want me to buy your product it should be fit for use when it comes through your letterbox. This isn't fine wine, it's e-juice.

I'm not suggesting that there isn't a place for steeping, but if small UK companies can pre-steep, then why can't all of them?

/rant off

Well Damon,it seems we had a good little chat about this earlier so we both know the score ;)

/rant on

/rant off

I'm really not sure about this 'steeping' business either, but my issue is whether steeping does any good at all, rather than whether or not makers should pre-steep.

It's not even technically steeping, as the definition of steeping is the "...soaking in liquid (usually water) of a solid so as to extract flavours or to soften it." No solids in juice, as far as I'm aware.

The usual justification for steeping is that it allows the oxidation of compounds that are in the juice. I've no reason to doubt this happens, my issue is that it assumes a) that this oxidation will affect taste and b) will improve the perceived taste.

There's no doubt that some people perceive differences in taste between fresh liquid and older liquid. But maybe the difference isn't in the juice but in the taster? I've had juices that I've tried and immediately disliked yet when I retried them I actually liked them. Perhaps the first try 'primed' my taste/olfactory system? It makes me think about things which are described as 'an aquired taste' - returning to something you at first did not like then eventually liking it. Most alcoholic beverages fit this criteria for me, as did smoking cigarettes.

/rambling off

If only he had some liquids named things like "Gris Gris", "Iko Iko", "Mos Scocious" and "Mardi Gras Day". Must be an age thing? That is what Dr John means to me.:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom