What's new

End of lockdown

B&Q had all but paint mixing/kitchen sales/timber cutting open. Staff were on hand to keep people moving throughout the store & yes garden section & hardware were open. Customer numbers were low due to queuing aka supermarket style & busy sections were marshalled by staff to prevent bottle necking. Actually felt more comfortable there than some of the supermarkets I've had to visit.

So garden centres , homeware shops , tile shops etc etc will also have a valid arguement that they should be allowed to open. We only need the infection rate to creep up again and we are fucked, and at the end of the day no one at the moment has got a clue what that is because no one is being tested.

So garden centres , homeware shops , tile shops etc etc will also have a valid arguement that they should be allowed to open. We only need the infection rate to creep up again and we are fucked, and at the end of the day no one at the moment has got a clue what that is because no one is being tested.
Never said I disagreed but there is a list of permitted businesses allowed to open as long as they comply with recommended guidelines. The issue of building sites etc is less clear & something HSE, the industry, employers & employees need to work on to provide the necessary PPE & distancing measures & all sing from the same book.

When lockdown first happened, the work my brother was doing was postponed.

He had the Friday off, then towards the end of the following week was told if there was no update on lockdown the site was opening back up the following week. He's been working ever since, but they take the guys temperature ever day before they can go in.

The guidelines were if you can, work from home. Which is great for office workers.

A load of companies are feeling the pinch now. At a guess it's either work starts again, or the whole business is a risk, meaning staff cuts to try and keep it going.

Wasn't the plan to protect the NHS, which seems to have worked, capacity is good (atm), time for some herd immunity? @oldhippydude , what do you think? you've seen the video.

For sure the pressure has got a bit less on the NHS.
The next few weeks should see improvements on that front.

As for herd Immunity I do not think that is a factor yet.

More important in determining what steps we take next will be what happens in those European countries that are relaxing restrictions before us. They are all making different choices about who can go back to work or school and we will be able to learn from that.

I do think that the Scottish plan to get back as much of the economy as poss while not letting hospitals get swamped, will be more or less the plan for the uk. It was more or less the original uk plan anyway and it still seemed to be the implication on the .gov site though the words from the podium rapidly changed to something else. At no point was it likely to be the case that we would get the virus by restricting things for a few days or months then get back to normal.

The fear factor was ramped up to get us to comply with restrictions and they were not wanting to discourage us by being truthful about the fact that the virus is here for the long haul and we will have to find ways to live and work with it because we can not afford to do anything else from a host of economic, social and health perspectives.

The companies going back now were never ordered to close and in my mind they are lucky to be getting a chance to get back to work sooner rather than later. Obviously working with social distancing is something more of us will have to learn about, sooner or later. Some companies will do it well others will not care, and that will have to be dealt with. Scotland is giving the police power to check work places for compliance. The rest of the UK will have to decide how to enforce this.

@andi52 As for the video I do not see the Swedish method as being particularly relevant in the short term. Even he said all we can do is go back down the ladder one rung at a time. If the Swedes are right, all it means is when it is all over we end up with similar death rates but we have to try in any case not to swamp the health service as we try to get back to work.

If cases of covid increase in the next few weeks beyond what the hospitals can handle, then they will be closed down again, or it will result in delaying the return of other industries. The sooner you can get back to work the more likely you are to have a job in the long run.

I am still working from home and will be doing so for a while after lockdown is lifted as well. The government never actually told construction sites to close, they did because of pressure from the public. Some building yards also remained open. I do though think that the majority of places that are going to reopen have had plenty of time to work out social distancing, and if they don't they should be closed down straight away.

So will bandq be shutting their homeware and garden sections ? I think not .
There is no way at work we can social distance , for starters you have 2 or 3 fitters in a van and some of the windows we fit take 7 or 8 blokes to lift. Building site toilets are a hazrd at the best of times and very rarely have running water.
It just seems so pointless for us all to have followed the rules for a month to throw it all away before we are in a position to say we are on top of it.

For starters, you should not have two or three fitters in a van.
Ms Hippydude does essential work that requires two man lifting for some items. Such jobs that used to be done with one van now requires two vans, obviously for the actual lift they are as close as they have to be but at all other times distance is maintained.

I do not want to get too much into the specifics of your job but people are going to have to go back to work and find the safest ways to do it. You are lucky your work is in the building trade and not pubs or tourism.

I'll be lucky to have a job given it relies wholly on the pub trade restarting. We work alone in cellars but can't get access while they're shut & even if we could, because they're not trading we can't complete the job. Customers aren't going to pay twice for call outs if we can't complete in one visit.

I'll be lucky to have a job given it relies wholly on the pub trade restarting. We work alone in cellars but can't get access while they're shut & even if we could, because they're not trading we can't complete the job. Customers aren't going to pay twice for call outs if we can't complete in one visit.
Anyone in the pub/restaurant business I generally feel sorry for as they will be the last to open, how they are going to manage is something I fear about.

Back
Top Bottom