What's new

Gone and done it now!

Dont give in, try 55 watts with the air flow fully open, if that`s better take it up in 2 watt steps. If that`s no better drain the tank, remove the wick and dry everything off, including blowing down the drip tip. If you used all of the cotton supplied, try with about 2/3 the thickness, some manufacturers have a strange idea of how much cotton it takes to fill a 3mm coil, rebuild the atty, refill and leave it for 15 minutes to soak the wick, try at 50 watts and increase in small amounts until you get a decent vape.
You dont always need 70 watts to get a decent vape out of .19 ohm coils, you should start feeling it at about 55, then it`s personal preference.

Well I messed up there completely forgot to let it sit and wick properly as didn't think rtas needed it. Lesson learned.

70 is a little high for me but I set it there as the 0.37ohm Ni80 Clapton Coils seem to take a while to ramp up with a very loose draw, and I was running out of lung room before decent vapour was being produced.

My choice of flavour for my first go wasn't a good idea so will no doubt start again today. (Hence I'm up super early )

Only other question at this time is how to clean the deck with the coils in place, or do Ii take them out for that purpose. Usually soak my gear in vodka.

Having followed your journey, I would first like to send my admiration for your efforts thus far. It isn’t easy to learn how to build, and that’s with perfect eyesight. Remember that it will take time to learn, we all experienced it, but the feeling of pride and mastery will make it worthwhile!

As I am a mtl vaper, I’m not much use in this thread, but I will try to help when I can.

You have some massive coils there, and they are going to take time to heat up. Take a half draw, blow it out, and then take a full one. If you’re using a geekvape mod f ex, you can create your own wattage curve. Start high for a second to get that preheat, and then ramp it down to normal. Here’s some info on power curves:

https://vapinghardware.com/vpc-explained-variable-power-curve/

Myself, I’ve always used too much cotton, but your experience may vary. Imo it’s wicking that is the key to rebuildables. You want enough to keep the tank from leaking, but not so much that it stops the wicks from fully saturating. This is a challenge, especially for those starting up, but even for more advanced vapers. Practice and perseverance is the only alternative.

You can leave the coils in place when you clean your deck, just rinse it in a bit of warm water and some dishwashing liquid. Then heat up the coils, and that should clean them and dry it out. I wouldn’t advise using alcohol, at least not without removing the orings, as they’ll get dried out. Recommend that you pick up an ultrasonic cleaner; it’s quick and easy.

Wish you luck today! :2thumbsup:

Last edited:
Having followed your journey, I would first like to send my admiration for your efforts thus far. It isn’t easy to learn how to build, and that’s with perfect eyesight. Remember that it will take time to learn, we all experienced it, but the feeling of pride and mastery will make it worthwhile!

As I am a mtl vaper, I’m not much use in this thread, but I will try to help when I can.

You have some massive coils there, and they are going to take time to heat up. Take a half draw, blow it out, and then take a full one. If you’re using a geekvape mod f ex, you can create your own wattage curve. Start high for a second to get that preheat, and then ramp it down to normal. Here’s some info on power curves:

https://vapinghardware.com/vpc-explained-variable-power-curve/

Myself, I’ve always used too much cotton, but your experience may vary. Imo it’s wicking that is the key to rebuildables. You want enough to keep the tank from leaking, but not so much that it stops the wicks from fully saturating. This is a challenge, especially for those starting up, but even for more advanced vapers. Practice and perseverance is the only alternative.

You can leave the coils in place when you clean your deck, just rinse it in a bit of warm water and some dishwashing liquid. Then heat up the coils, and that should clean them and dry it out. I wouldn’t advise using alcohol, at least not without removing the orings, as they’ll get dried out. Recommend that you pick up an ultrasonic cleaner; it’s quick and easy.

Wish you luck today! :2thumbsup:

I'm on my 3rd rewick and now I've nailed it. Set at 60 watts and its amazing. Plumes and plumes of vapour.

Thank you very much for the kind comments. The advice on cleaning is a godsend as Google throws up so many ways, and it helps when you can speak one on one with others.

I'm so happy with it and the help and patience of you all has been overwhelming compared to where else iI was asking.

My vape club wishlist has now grown to epic proportions.

Once again i thank all who have commented and helped.

Glad to hear it is going well. A small fine wire brush is also useful for cleaning gunk off coils.

Glad you got that sorted, there are loads of theories on dry burning and cleaning coils, it all depends on how far you want to take it, personally I discard the wick, but look at it first, it should still be relatively clean and unscorched under the coil, swish the whole deck under the tap and dry off, I dry burn to a dull cherry red and after they`ve cooled down give them a once over inside and out with an interdental brush.
The more complex your coils the longer ramp up and cool down times, as Zen says there are mods with built in software that allows you to hit the coils hard for a fraction of a second then drop the power to what you`ve selected, or you could just press the fire button and count to 2 before taking your hit, comme ci comme ca. For every day use a dual core staggered fused clapton of 0.6 ohms (0.3 dualled) is about right for me and I run that set up between 45 - 60 watts, my rule of thumb is to use a dual cell mod for a dual coil atty, but that`s because I dont want to become a slave to the charger.
If you intend to stick with rebuilding it`s worthwhile investing in a few tools and a tab (ohm meter that allows you to test fire your build) and a pair of magnifying glasses cos if you cant see it, you cant build it.
Now you enjoy your vape, you`ve earned it, and keep researching, there are a load of ways to get to the same place, and remember the only thing that matters in vaping is what comes out of the drip tip.

Glad you got that sorted, there are loads of theories on dry burning and cleaning coils, it all depends on how far you want to take it, personally I discard the wick, but look at it first, it should still be relatively clean and unscorched under the coil, swish the whole deck under the tap and dry off, I dry burn to a dull cherry red and after they`ve cooled down give them a once over inside and out with an interdental brush.
The more complex your coils the longer ramp up and cool down times, as Zen says there are mods with built in software that allows you to hit the coils hard for a fraction of a second then drop the power to what you`ve selected, or you could just press the fire button and count to 2 before taking your hit, comme ci comme ca. For every day use a dual core staggered fused clapton of 0.6 ohms (0.3 dualled) is about right for me and I run that set up between 45 - 60 watts, my rule of thumb is to use a dual cell mod for a dual coil atty, but that`s because I dont want to become a slave to the charger.
If you intend to stick with rebuilding it`s worthwhile investing in a few tools and a tab (ohm meter that allows you to test fire your build) and a pair of magnifying glasses cos if you cant see it, you cant build it.
Now you enjoy your vape, you`ve earned it, and keep researching, there are a load of ways to get to the same place, and remember the only thing that matters in vaping is what comes out of the drip tip.

Thank you for that. I use the GeekVape T200. Yes I'm ordering the coil builders kit from my usual online store.

One thing that came with the RTA that i only saw this morning was a 5ml bubble glass spare. Any advantage other than itholds more than 2mls Over the straight glass I have on?

Glad to hear it is going well. A small fine wire brush is also useful for cleaning gunk off coils.

I just use her an old toothbrush, does the same job, as long as the coil's cool.

I just use her an old toothbrush, does the same job, as long as the coil's cool.

That'd do but I hardly ever bother cleaning coils, I usually just replace the whole build but that's home made simple wire ones so dirt cheap.

See when you're visually challenged, anything to eke more time out a coil, I grab with both hands.

Back
Top Bottom