What's new

Kayfun Mini v3 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bix_vapes

Postman
So after what looked like a decent first build and a decent vape I started running into dry hits.

image.jpeg

The build came out at 1.33 ohm and I was only breaking it in at 9 watts. I'd already given the juice control roughly 2 and a bit turns as I was using 60/40 but gave it another full turn with no joy. I assumed the wicks were too long as the air flow was set probably tighter than I would like. So I cut the wicks down and still no joy until the wick was buggered!

So re-wicked this time with shorter wicks and giving plenty of room by the juice holes on the bottom of the deck. Tightened the airflow to the point it was almost closed and gave the the tank a fully 3 and a half turns.....still dry!

'Bugger it' I thought and just took the whole build out and started again.

This build came in at 1.28 ohms (a very tidy coil this time imo) I rolled a thinner bit of cotton and made the wicks shorter still. Stuck with the 'standard' 2 turns of the tank and predictably i then got flooding!

So re-wicked this time with slightly thicker cotton and slightly long either side,1 and a half turns this time and air flow now pretty much as open as possible. Still flooded, i then cleared the flooded again best as possible and only turn the tank half a turn, no flooding but very harsh draw a CE4 flavour!

I bumped the wattage up in 0.5 increments thinking maybe this would solve the problem. The draw got more harsh and I kept checking the wicks every couple of pulls and they had plenty of liquid but still nasty draw.

I then got the right hump with it, scrapped the whole thing and started again....long story short there was still some flooding and a nasty harsh draw regardless of wattage, tank turns, air flow etc.

Apologies for the long post but wanted to cover as much as possible to save the 'tried that' replies!

All the builds were nice and central and roughly 3mm clear of the deck and were firing nice and even.

I did a lot of reading up of RTA's and made the very educated decision to go with the Kayfun Mini v3 thanks to the apes who contributed to my thread! I have also watched more build videos than I care to remember and took my time with each build to make sure everything was how it should be.

Any suggestions if your still reading at this point??? :17:

If I'm being impatient and everyone goes through this please let me know as that will be almost as nice to hear as a solution :2thumbsup:

@bix_vapes Hmmmm .... I think 'expert' is pushing it, but I have two and use them every day, so I'll tell you what I do and see if that helps? My build is 28AWG kanthal on a 2.5mm diameter rod, about 7 wraps aiming for around 1.4 ohms. This isn't mine but looks pretty much like this, about so far over the air hole:

Screen_Hunter_188_Aug_18_01_30.jpg

Cotton snug enough to fill the coil but not tight, should pull through pretty freely, and trimmed so you can tuck it into the well without it buckling on the bottom (If I cut downwards and line long scissor blades up against the edge of the base it works out about right) Get your tweezers and pinch the wick end flat and fold or tuck it into the well and sort of fan it out so it fills the channel and the ends are just reaching to the floor.

Screen_Hunter_189_Aug_18_01_52.jpg

That works great for me on 50/50 juice with just over a single full turn to open the juice flow. I've had a 60/40 VG/PG juice in there, for which I opened it one and a half turns. My air flow screw is about half way down the shaft, just over half actually - I can only just screw down the 510 pin and plate properly.

I hate to say this because it sounds soooooo 'nyah nyah', but I've never had a dry hit off them and the flavour's lovely. No idea if that's of any help? I hope so - let me know!!

And if you fancy yet another build video, this is pretty much my method (and where I nicked my pics from). The coil installation and wicking is at about 10 mins onwards.

Thanks @Crewella I'll give this a viewing and follow your tips whilst I attempt build number 4 :)

I'll check back in and let you know how I get on! :2thumbsup:

Please do, and good luck! I don't really feel experienced enough to be confident in giving advice, so I thought it best to just tell you what works for me and hope it helps. :)

I kept checking the wicks every couple of pulls and they had plenty of liquid but still nasty draw.

Did you wash the tank before first use? If there's machine oil residue it will taste nasty even if you've set it up perfectly.

I have same problem as you. Tried loads of times. The only way I don`t get dry hits is by keep opening the top cap to let air escape from the juice well. I have followed every video so far & done same as said on here with no joy. I might try again in a few weeks. I wasn`t impressed with taste anyway so I won`t rush to sort it out.

By the way, I have bought other tanks after reading great reviews on here. One example is the Wotofo Serpent. It was supposed to be good for MTL vaping which is all I do. No way is it good for that. The only way to get MTL from it is to put a vape band with a hole in it over the air inlet. The only reliable rebuildable tank I have found is the Kayfun Lite. I recently bought 8 tanks for under £30 which are better than all the other tanks I`ve tried for taste & non-leaking. Only good for MTL though.

The only thing I would add is that the Mini v3, for me at least, is very picky when it comes to nicotine levels. In my Nautilus Mini, I can happily take an 12mg hit. Nice throat hit, not too harsh, decent flavor. In my Kayfun Mini v3, unless I build to 1.8ohms+, even 12mg is way too harsh for me.

Honestly, if you're looking to MTL on a 1.2-1.3ohm coil in a Kayfun Mini v3, to get the same level of "harsh" you would get from a Nautilus Mini with 12mg, you would need to drop your nicotine down to 6mg but you then lose the 12mg throat hit.

It may well be that I was building mine wrong (most likely) or I've just become used to lower nicotine levels, but for me, anything above 6mg of nicotine felt way too harsh for me in the mini v3 unless I built a 1.8-2ohm coil. Yes, my last build was a 1.94 ohm coil which was just about right for me with 12mg!

People using 12-18mg on 1-1.4 ohm coils are crazy :)

As for the wicking, I would definitely say that the most important thing is to have enough cotton in to sit on the juice feed holes. Any less and it'll flood like a fucker. With a 50/50 juice you can be a little more generous with the cotton, anything higher and the wick ends just need to sit on the juice flow holes. It's possible the dry hits are coming from the fact that your cotton is not covering the juice flow holes, and therefore not getting enough juice feed. You can be a little more generous with the cotton than you think :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom