What's new

Mask exemptions

"Misfit"

Veteran
I have tried wearing a mask around the house to see how i got on with them.
I struggle to breathe in the thing, i feel like i'm suffocating.
I have COPD and Asthma and suposed to be exempt from wearing a mask.
How do i prove this to any shops i need to go to ?
Do i need a Doctors letter or will showing my inhaler be proof enough ?

I think these 'exemptions' are for public transport only.... if shops require you to wear a mask you'll have to wear one but none I've been in make it a requirement of entry.

It's not comfortable I know, I struggle with it too. I'd suggest using a simple, thin cloth covering rather than any kind of medical type.

Phone your gp perhaps and ask what they advise? in the morning of course ;)

Do you have to travel in the early morning tomorrow? if so could a loose knit scarf or similar present you with less resistance and a casual observer peace of mind and avoid unnecessary conversations?

Phone your gp perhaps and ask what they advise? in the morning of course ;)

Do you have to travel in the early morning tomorrow? if so could a loose knit scarf or similar present you with less resistance and a casual observer peace of mind and avoid unnecessary conversations?

Dont need to go out til Monday, same day as GP is back open.

Had a look online and it says you can show them this on your phone
upload_2020-7-10_23-5-12.png

Also says on here i dont need to wear one ? https://www.asthma.org.uk/about/media/news/face-covering-advice-for-people-with-asthma/
I am fairly certain i dont need to wear one but my problem is proving why.
If all else fails i will try and rig up something where i can breathe ok

I wouldn't worry too much about being pulled for it, even in situations where they're mandatory, half the people don't seem to give a damn and they don't seem to be enforcing it from the stories I've heard about public transport.

You should be fine just visiting the shops, if anyone of authority pulls you, then explain to them and hopefully they see sense. Anyone not of authority pulls you, tell them to bugger off.

I don't see that picture being much use, as it looks like anyone and their grandma can get their hands on it, whether they have asthma or not.

Looking at Boris today, he is getting ready to tell us to wear them all the time!

I understand how you feel mate.
For the last 10 years I could work I had to wear them while working in customer labs for hours on end, but nowadays I struggle to breathe at times, and in January was sent for chest x-rays etc. At the time my GP gave me an inhaler, and has added them to my monthly prescription list.
The only places where the current regulations say you must wear a mask are GP surgeries, Hospitals, and Public Transport. However people such as you, and I with breathing difficulties are exempt.
If you have to use one of these just explain the circumstances, I have not got a doctors letter, but I do keep an inhaler in my jacket pocket just in case.
Most people will be okay with an explanation.
If you go to a shop, and are spoken to, just explain, if they infer you are not being honest, just ask to speak to the manager, and failing satisfaction from a manager complain in writing to head office.
So far I have not had a problem anywhere, mind you I have not been on a bus in ages, but I did earlier this week have a conversation with a friend who said he had not had any problems on a bus.

I understand how you feel mate.
For the last 10 years I could work I had to wear them while working in customer labs for hours on end, but nowadays I struggle to breathe at times, and in January was sent for chest x-rays etc. At the time my GP gave me an inhaler, and has added them to my monthly prescription list.
The only places where the current regulations say you must wear a mask are GP surgeries, Hospitals, and Public Transport. However people such as you, and I with breathing difficulties are exempt.
If you have to use one of these just explain the circumstances, I have not got a doctors letter, but I do keep an inhaler in my jacket pocket just in case.
Most people will be okay with an explanation.
If you go to a shop, and are spoken to, just explain, if they infer you are not being honest, just ask to speak to the manager, and failing satisfaction from a manager complain in writing to head office.
So far I have not had a problem anywhere, mind you I have not been on a bus in ages, but I did earlier this week have a conversation with a friend who said he had not had any problems on a bus.

Buses wont be a problem for me as i never use public transport, my concern was more for the shops
i always carry an inhaler with me, will play it by ear on Monday and if any probs will ask for manager.

Looking at Boris today, he is getting ready to tell us to wear them all the time!

Will never happen mate.

Lets consider the implications.
Government say it is now law that you have to wear one when outside.
If that happens, where do all these masks come from, if everyone in the UK has to wear just one each day it would create a sourcing need for 68 million per day, at a time when countries are struggling to obtain just their medical establishments needs.
Even if that amount can be sourced, who is going to pay the 30 million or so cost.
Conclusion, the government (no matter who / party) will not do it, because if it becomes law these two factors alone would be down to the government.

Screenshot_20200711_054728_com.android.chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom