What's new

Mesh vs coil rebuild issue. Need advice

SlapNutz

Hi guys

so it goes like this. I have been vaping by for a while from the days of Pens to then rtas coming out. Built own coils from kanthal to mesh.

I’m on pods now and found a way to rebuild my pod.

Issue I’m facing is this. my pod is a 0.8ohm mesh coil. I strip everything out make a kanthal 26g single coil of 0.8ohm. It reads at 0.8 ohm but when I fire it, it’s very slow to warm up on same wattage infact I hardly get any vapour. Not sure what’s going on after all 0.8 ohm is 0.8ohm right, same wattage works on mesh but nothing on kanthal? Isit because of the thickness of the kanthal wire?

the pod device is a oxva slim pro.

Warm regards
Slapz

To be expected. There's a lot more metal to heat up in a Kanthal coil than a mesh strip.

To be expected. There's a lot more metal to heat up in a Kanthal coil than a mesh strip.

Ahaa, I had a feeling that might be the case. What would be the best course of action here?

thinner wire? Or same wire less turns?

regards
Slapz

Thinner wire, less wraps, reduce the amount of metal. You could also try Ni80 or SS316L wire as they heat up quicker.

I think you're going to have a difficult time if your intention is to mimic a 0.8 ohm mesh coil using roundwire.

The mesh will be very fine and cover a relatively large amount of cotton - the roundwire will be thicker (take slightly longer to heat up because of the increased mass) and cover a smaller area of cotton.

Just because a coil has the same resistance as another coil or a piece of mesh it does not mean it will provide the same vape. I sometimes use a 6 wrap 3mm i.d. 24/36 Ni80 Clapton in my DL Dvarw that comes out agt around 0.5 ohms. I'll also use a 0.5 ohm coil in my OG Drop RDA on a stacked mech tube - the coil I use for this is a 7 wrap 22/38 Ni80 Flatwire with a 5mm internal diameter. Both coils are Ni80, both have a resistance of around 0.50 ohms, but the 24ga clapton is sweet at 40 Watts - the 22ga flatwire needs at least 80 watts, probably 100+ before it hits the sweet spot.

If you compare the two coils the 3mm i'd 24 gauge coil looks absolutely puny compared to the 22 gauge and even though they have the same resistance the 22 gauge needs 150% more power to give a decent vape because it has much more mass than the 24 gauge - if you tried to run both at the same wattage the 22 gauge coil would take forever to heat up.

That is an extreme example - but you are facing the same problem trying to make a roundwire coil respond like a mesh coil. You could make a coil that works and gives a satisfactory vape but it is going to take some experimentation with different wires, different number of wraps and different resistances - but forget trying to make a 0.8 ohm round-wire coil that will vape like 0.8 ohm mesh as it won't happen. Sadly the resistance is only one part of the equation - you also have to take into account how long the wire will take to ramp up, how much cotton it will cover, how hot it will get inside the pod - and, if you're using a simple pod mod with battery voltage output only you're going to have to use ohms law to figure out if the mod can send the voltage you need to the coil.

You COULD manage to get a decent vape out of a roundwire coil in your pod, but it won't be the same and you may have to buy several different wires before you find something that works for you. Sometimes things that sound easy turn out to be hard - I think this may be one of them.

I think you need to step back and take in the bigger picture here. What is your end goal? Saving money? All too easy to disappear down a hole trying to recreate tthis on the cheap but in effect costing yourself more in time and money, maybe look into a rebuildable tank that'd do similar.

Back
Top Bottom