What's new

Ni80 wire

redmatt76

Postman
Hi all. Just received ni80 wire instead of kanthal. Can I use Ni80 wire coils with vw/vv regulated mod?

yes you can..there is another active thread around now on the same subject...check it out

I got sent a spool of this for free, no idea what to do with it as it's hair thin

Not touched Kanthal since @MrTeaTime put me on to Ni80 its the bees knees. VV/VW no problem just use STEAMENGINE to make your coils as its a lower resistance to Kanthal

So playing on steam engine, to get a 0.4ohm coil to fit my RBA, I would need to twist two lengths together then make a parallel coil with two twisted lengths! Sounds complex to me

If you have a battery drill you can easily make a length of twisted wire. There are lots of good youtube vids showing you the process. Takes a few seconds. Rip tripper is a good guy to watch.

So playing on steam engine, to get a 0.4ohm coil to fit my RBA, I would need to twist two lengths together then make a parallel coil with two twisted lengths! Sounds complex to me
Sounds like you selected the wrong options - Parallel coils halve the resistance, as does twisted wire (well more or less). Unless of course you're using a mech and deliberatelty trying to hit 0.4 - but if you're using a regulated device you can build higher and just turn down the power...

Ye mate, once you go nichrome, kanthal is just a pain in the arse.

If you have a battery drill you can easily make a length of twisted wire. There are lots of good youtube vids showing you the process. Takes a few seconds. Rip tripper is a good guy to watch.
I've just been looking at some actually, will definitely give it a go

Sounds like you selected the wrong options - Parallel coils halve the resistance, as does twisted wire (well more or less). Unless of course you're using a mech and deliberatelty trying to hit 0.4 - but if you're using a regulated device you can build higher and just turn down the power...
I May well have done, it's a bit confusing but I'm getting there. I always check the ohms with a multimeter before installing coils, even premade ones.

The ni80 I've got is 34 gauge, which I believe is quite thin, maybe that's part of it. I'm aiming for 0.4 because that's what I liked in the regular coils but maybe I'm Barking up the wrong tree aiming for that with an RBA?

Back
Top Bottom