What's new

Quit smoking, started vaping, feeling like crap, help me, please!

The fact you had no cravings proves you are getting the nicotine. 12 isn’t that high but we all react differently to it. You could try dropping to 6 or 9 mg and see how you get on.
I’d recommend drinking more water and perhaps get yourself some vitamins to help boost your immune system. Quitting ciggies can do all kinds of weird stuff to your body. It’s not uncommon to feel bad for a while, get a bad cough or catch something else.

The other thing I’d look at is your other habits. Has anything else changed since you quit smoking? More tea and coffee for example? We can often overcompensate when removing something from our lives.

If you’re worried then go to your doctor, don’t just rely on a bunch of vapers and their anecdotal evidence ;)

Y'all so nice and helpful, thanks! :)

Um. I'll try to answer everything. Yep, I've fitted the correct coil (1.0 ohm). The device itself seems to be working just fine: no leaks, liquid in mouth, burnt taste. And yes, I do clean it :).

As for my lifestyle: I'm boring otherwise, 3L water a day, pretty much healthy eating, moderate with coffee/tea, taking vitamins/supplements and nothing's changed since I've started vaping.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I don't think it's too much nic that's causing the problem, rather than the withdrawal. I guess I just needed some support (which I've got :) ) and confirmation that there are other folk who experience/experienced the same. Just a thought: if it would be nicotine overdose, then I should feel normal after a nights sleep as soon as I wake up, before starting vaping? And yet I don't. I'm feeling crappy as soon as I open my eyes. But I'll try lowering my nic a bit just in case, to rule the overdose out.

I'm not going to give up and will crack on. Vaping is actually awesome (despite feeling shitty atm): tasty, enjoyable, nice-smelling, healthier and cheaper! I've smoked a cigg last friday (stupidity+curiosity+booze) and it was rank. After just one week!

when I started vaping it took a few months to feel human again. I was bringing all this yuck up. I felt ill I was checked by a doctor. she said everything was fine. now I feel amazing. I've got over 20 months without a cig under my belt. what I did to stop smoking was the following. I got a tank a eleaf ikonn 220. in that I put a 3 nicotine. then I got a pencil vape a t18. in that I put a 12 nicotine. if I had a bad craving for a cig i'd vape on the t18. hope that helps. hang on in there. I was smoking 40 to 60 cigs a day.

I wouldn't worry too much, It sounds like you are only vaping when you need to vape and vaping when you feel you need nicotine, I would be very surprised if you are getting too much, most people are very good at self regulating.

Giving up a long smoking habit isn't easy on the body and you'll still be withdrawing from everything else other than the nicotine, in other words you'll still feel some of the effects of giving up smoking, feeling like crap isn't uncommon and neither are tummy issues. What vaping does is minimize the cravings.

Stick with it and try not to worry..... see how you feel in a few weeks. :)

I'd also very very surprised if you are taking in more nicotine than you were smoking 20 fags a day, you've probably halved it if anything.

How much liquid are you getting through a day? ... when I first switched I was vaping at least 5ml a day of 12mg, I still often vape that now.

Haven't read the full post in detail so excuse my ignorance a second......

Nicotine sounds about right - you know about nic rush if you chain smoked & felt sick

You might be feeling crappy either coz of a reaction to VG/PG

OR

allergic to the juice/flavourings in the juice itself ???
you "might" have a slight allergy to something in the juice's flavourings
maybe/maybe not - but it is a possibility in my book

I'd try a few modest 12mg trusted brands without too much flavouring intensity
or a popular slightly sweet tobacco maybe but nothing too intense

if all else fails then a mild base juice or diluted 50//50 nic shot ???

with me it took about a few days to a week - craving was still there
after a few weeks I knew I cracked it but still needed a bit of will power

well done & best of luck btw

I'd also very very surprised if you are taking in more nicotine than you were smoking 20 fags a day, you've probably halved it if anything.

How much liquid are you getting through a day? ... when I first switched I was vaping at least 5ml a day of 12mg, I still often vape that now.

I really don't vape that much (I think?). 10mls last me 2.5/3 days.

I switched from 18mg to 12 nic because I did feel a bit sick after all day of vaping 18 and thought it to be a bit much. Before starting, I've read that new vapers/heavy-ish smokers would be better on 18 and stupidly bought like 25 bottles of various flavours with 18nic. Not sure what to do with it all now :).

Another thing which came as a surprise are the flavours. As a long time smoker, I thought I would like tobacco flavours the most. So I bought a lot of that. Secondly, I thought I'd enjoy a nice fruity vape - stocked up on that too. And it turns out, I pretty much HATE the tobacco ones and not much into fruits/fresh stuff either. Cloyingly sweet stuff is the best for me, the sweeter - the better. Custards, cinnamon, cakes, sugar, chocolate and the like. Funny that :).

As for allergies.. Well, I must be one of the least allergic people on this planet. Not allergic to anything: nuts, honey, milk, other foodstuffs. Dust or pets. Washing powders, shower gels and the like, I could eat total crap and bathe in gasoline and would still be fine, probably. But you never know, it's possible that I'm allergic to some juice/its component.

Even though I don't feel that great now, I'm still optimistic. I'll lower my nic a bit and wait for a week or so for everything to improve. At least a bit. It HAS TO, eventually, I'm sure :)

I switched from 18mg to 12 nic because I did feel a bit sick after all day of vaping 18 and thought it to be a bit much. Before starting, I've read that new vapers/heavy-ish smokers would be better on 18 and stupidly bought like 25 bottles of various flavours with 18nic. Not sure what to do with it all now :)

Dilute it if you like the juice itself......

juice = VG/PG + nicotine + flav

if you take 18mg juice & dilute with a base mix of VG/PG.....

10ml 0mg + 10ml 18mg = 20ml @ 9mg
BUT also flavour is diluted too - which atm might not be such a bad thing

I mean you could do 2:1 juice/base mix eg:
2 x 10ml 18mg + 10ml 0mg base = 30ml @ 12mg & not so diluted on flavour as half n half

The above is just an example, depends on how much you paid for juice
if it was cheap & you hate it completely just tip it down the sink
if you want to try & use it then diluting it is a viable option

you'll suss it out I'm sure

tbh - don't worry too much about this mixing stuff just yet perhaps.....
:diy:
put it to one side for now & look at other options/strengths of nic/flav etc.....

to me a decent vape shop should be offering sound advice like on here
but then they are there to make money and also keep things simple & profitable

but reckon you did good by registering & posting on here
& somehow you will be able to nail it down & find something that works for you

Last edited:
I really don't vape that much (I think?). 10mls last me 2.5/3 days.

I switched from 18mg to 12 nic because I did feel a bit sick after all day of vaping 18 and thought it to be a bit much. Before starting, I've read that new vapers/heavy-ish smokers would be better on 18 and stupidly bought like 25 bottles of various flavours with 18nic. Not sure what to do with it all now :).

Another thing which came as a surprise are the flavours. As a long time smoker, I thought I would like tobacco flavours the most. So I bought a lot of that. Secondly, I thought I'd enjoy a nice fruity vape - stocked up on that too. And it turns out, I pretty much HATE the tobacco ones and not much into fruits/fresh stuff either. Cloyingly sweet stuff is the best for me, the sweeter - the better. Custards, cinnamon, cakes, sugar, chocolate and the like. Funny that :).

As for allergies.. Well, I must be one of the least allergic people on this planet. Not allergic to anything: nuts, honey, milk, other foodstuffs. Dust or pets. Washing powders, shower gels and the like, I could eat total crap and bathe in gasoline and would still be fine, probably. But you never know, it's possible that I'm allergic to some juice/its component.

Even though I don't feel that great now, I'm still optimistic. I'll lower my nic a bit and wait for a week or so for everything to improve. At least a bit. It HAS TO, eventually, I'm sure :)

Fingers crossed for you. I hope it all works out. If you are still having problems get back to us.

I had similar symptoms when I stopped smoking 20 a day and started vaping..it was like having the flu or a bad cold..I felt like this for around 2 weeks and it just went away.
I vape 12mg since the start of my vaping journey as it’s the level for a 20 a day person more or less..You will need to experiment unless your lucky enough to get the kit and eliquids that suit you straight off..I think it took me about 6 months of experimentation and asking a huge amount of questions on here but I was always given very sound advice and recommendations..in fact every bit of vape kit I have was a recommendation as for eliquid that’s a real personal thing..for me it’s sweet tobacco vapes and Manabush eliquids..
As others say 12mg is perfectly fine for the amount you smoked it’s all about the kit and eliquids.
Personally I prefer a cooler vape and use 1.6ohm coils and these suit me perfectly using a 50/50 eliquid at 11 watts..tank I use is a innokin zenith along with various mods..

Back
Top Bottom