What's new

Temperature Control (TC) a brief beginners guide

I know a lot of folks don't use, understand or get on with TC mode but there's no better way to squonk or drip in my experience. I know it baffled me until I sat down and gave it a go.

This post might look long winded but the whole process is as simple as a normal RDA build and a couple of extra settings.

Don’t let the daunting appearance of temperature control put you off, in essence it is quite simple and forgiving if you start off low, here’s why TC mode is so useful:
  • NO dry hits
  • Cotton lasts longer
  • More hits per squonk/drip
  • Refine your vape as warm or cool as you like.
  • You can achieve a warmer vape without damaging your coil and cotton
  • More forgiving for under-squonking (not enough juice)
Not all wires work with TC though, to keep it simple I will just use stainless steel SS316L which is widely available in pre-made coils or wire spools.

How it works: Instead of just applying the set power constantly, it measures the temperature of the coil instead, e-liquid naturally cools the coil down and decreases the power applied to the coil automatically (once you have the basic settings applied, let’s say 240c and 80watts).

So for example; if there’s plenty of juice then you will get that full powered vape, but as the juice lessens after a puff or two, then the coil is too hot and TC will reduce the power accordingly, (juice flow is what cools the coil) the vape will get a little cooler each time but not drastically (you just naturally notice when to squonk or add more). Now without TC and in normal wattage mode, you would get the start of a dry hit, and each hit after gets hotter and burns the cotton (and your throat) until enough juice is delivered to cool it back down.

Just to illustrate how dry hits occur, if you pop a coil with dry cotton into your RDA and apply wattage, say 40watts, then it will simply burn the cotton and intensifies that burning for as long as you press fire, it is purely juice that stops cotton burning and how much power is applied. You can still get a dry hit with plenty of juice, if the coil is rated for 40 watts and you apply 100 watts, it will burn for sure – dry hit from hell!

Hopefully I’ve kept it simple, but I will use my review build as an example:

Wire: SS316 (Tank Track but any SS316L wire will do)
Ohms: 0.23
The first setting you need to set is the wire type, you will find the material in the main modes so find SS316 (you will see the screen change to Temperature once selected).

Let’s say I would usual vape this setup at 45 watts in VW (Variable Wattage), you can usually add 20 watts to that in TC mode to get a better hit but I will start with 45 watts.

The scary ‘Temperature’ setting is just a fluffy bunny if you start off low, I work in Celsius and I tend to start around 220c, but let’s take this all on the cautious side and set it to 200c

So our settings for a 0.23ohm coil:

Mode: SS316
Temperature: 200c
Wattage: 40 Watts
With your RDA juiced up and ready to vape, you can take a vape…..

Fairly tame wasn’t it? That’s fine as it was our safe starting point (if you found it worked for you then simply keep those settings and vape on), I tend to bump up the wattage first which gives you the intensity of the vape, try in 10 watts increments (50/60/70/80) and see which you prefer. This doesn’t have to be too precise as it’s the temperature that does the main work.

You will likely notice the hit is quite short and cools off quickly, that's because the temperature is too low at this point.

Getting better? I hope so but now comes the simple setting, simply apply 5 degrees and take a vape up until you find the warmth you prefer (don’t forget to keep squonking to keep the coil soaked when setting up).

So let’s say we landed at 230c and 60 Watts and that’s how you like it (I ended up at 245c and 90 watts!), so now it’s time to see TC mode in action……just chain vape away without squonking juice (we want it to run dry-ish). You should notice the flavour start to drop off and the vape is cooler, and it decreases subtly with each draw. That is exactly how it should behave and it shows TC is working.

If you take a look at your coil and cotton, it should start to look dry but you should see NO signs of it burning, you can happily squonk more juice in with no damage done to your coil/cotton/lungs.

That really is all there is to it, you have now got the basics of the mysterious TC mode sussed. You can play around with those settings, but be aware as you keep on increasing you can get to the limits, for example if the temperature was right up to 400c (it won’t go that high) then the juice cooling effect isn’t as great and you run the risk of burning your cotton. Just keep it simple and push it as far as you’re comfortable with.

This is a basic intro, but you can get a load more help and advice on the forum’s TC section:
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...diy-discussion/temperature-controlled-vaping/

I hope that helps.

Will give this a go tonight, TC scares me with all the settings
but this simplifies it :2thumbsup:

I admit I use it a lot on the Dovpo Rivas. Life and sanity saver for me. :)

Will give this a go tonight, TC scares me with all the settings
but this simplifies it :2thumbsup:

It's one of those things where you will kick yourself after a couple of goes, the novelty of vaping my cotton dry never wears off.

Most mods handle it well but DNA's are even more fun as you can really refine the vape in TC mode.

I've never really got on with TC in RTA's though, I don't see as much benefit unless it's one of those that doesn't keep up with chain vaping.

It's one of those things where you will kick yourself after a couple of goes, the novelty of vaping my cotton dry never wears off.

Most mods handle it well but DNA's are even more fun as you can really refine the vape in TC mode.

I've never really got on with TC in RTA's though, I don't see as much benefit unless it's one of those that doesn't keep up with chain vaping.

Will try it on my VT Inbox

Nice write up @Vapaneezer Scrooge!

I prefer to think of it as Temperature Protection, rather than Temperature Control. A mod doesn't try to reach a Temperature, it throttles back the Wattage when a Temperature is reached (technically it's a calculated temperature based on the change in resistance). The mod is still pushing a set Watts into the coil, until it throttles the Watts back.

That slight change in thinking made TC far less complicated for me.

Of course there are other things like pre-heat etc. and I only use DNA's for TC, but in general, I think it's easier to think of it that way around.

Great post @Vapaneezer Scrooge

Back in the day i tried it a couple of times and it wasnt for me. After 7 years i think ive only ever had 2 dry hits in wattage using shop coils.
I will never forget the warning My E Pack put out as everyone was trying TC when it first came out but there was actually no coils on the market at the time that used Ni & Ti and even SS was very limited.
A lot of the high powered kits released even today have pre installd mostly Kanthal coils so i still try to warn new members to do some homework and check which coil is installed before trying TC but the posts ive seen over the years is always questions after theve tried TC and it was always with the wrong coil.

Back
Top Bottom