What's new

The future of vaping............

I haven't seen the Tax % they are going to add, surely they can't put it in the same bracket as Tobacco.

Tough times. Don't know what to say. Vaping had about 3 years' worth of bloom and then the last 7 years being slowly rotted away from both within and outside. Disposables have been the catalyst but it would have happened anyway. Cigarette sales are going to skyrocket and general health will deteriorate faster than it already is.

At 20% Tax i can't see myself vaping after it arrives.

More than that. £10 50ml shortfills with 1 nic shot today costs £11. With the new duty, it will go to £18-20, depending on nic strength.

£3 10ml 20mg salt will go to £7 ish.

Politicians may be stupid, but the bean counters aren't, they will have worked out how much they are loosing in tobacco tax from a switch to vaping and want it back.
Vaping will be a luxury not afforded by many and seen as also a waste of money by most people wanting to quit the fags.
That only leaves vaping as a smoking cessation tool short time use only then stop, which means less customers all round.

£1/10ml of 0% nic (i.e shortfills). £2/10ml of 0-10.9mg nic. £3/10ml 11-20mg nic.
That's just for 2026-27.

ASH UK:
  • The excise tax on vaping will raise £120 million in 2026-7 rising to £445 million by 2028-9
By 2029 tax income from vaping is set to treble, but where is the money coming from?

Last edited:
More than that. £10 50ml shortfills with 1 nic shot today costs £11. With the new duty, it will go to £18-20, depending on nic strength.

£3 10ml 20mg salt will go to £7 ish.
That is a best case scenario. I doubt that many end sellers can take the risk of selling a 50ml shortfill with the same profit margin - buying stock in will be far more expensive and tie up a lot of capital. Any written off outdated stock will put a huge hole in their profit margin as they will have paid the tax on it in advance. I think the end sellers will be forced to raise prices in addition to the tax amount because of their higher financial risk. The only other option for them is to only buy in a very limited range of juices and adopt a 'buy this or fuck off' approach.

IMO smoking roll ups will be the cheapest option instead of vaping, you don't need to buy hardware and coils, just a pack of papers and a cheap disposable lighter.

In the longer term the real winners from this will be tobacco companies - and I would give odds that the current anti-vape/save the children campaigners will mysteriously lose most of their funding after Tobacco companies inevitably start producing their own juice lines. The tobacco companies absolutely can afford to pay taxes in advance on e-liquid manufacture and take financial losses to undercut any opposition.

In the longer term the real winners from this will be tobacco companies - and I would give odds that the current anti-vape/save the children campaigners will mysteriously lose most of their funding after Tobacco companies inevitably start producing their own juice lines. The tobacco companies absolutely can afford to pay taxes in advance on e-liquid manufacture and take financial losses to undercut any opposition.

I think you're onto something there. Watch out for any black helicopters circling your house.

You can make a nice 100ml of juice yourself for around a quid or less, and use empty juice bottles to store it in Obviously legal juice manufacturers need to pay for all the stuff needed to sell it. Sterile work space, new bottles, labels, advertising, website, etc, etc.
There will still be a profit margin, but it will probably only be mass producers that will survive. I fear for the future of most of the smaller manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom