What's new

Tips for people new to diy mixing....

Try some of the oneshot concentrates, find 2-3 you like & keep a rotation going. Then you can play around mixing different flavours in testers until you find some you like enough to make in bulk. Majority of mine are oneshots but do have 2/3 I mix & tweak.

So, scales: I don’t get how this is easier? Takes me about 2seconds to unscrew a top, draw 1ml, and squirt it in a bottle....? And I’d argue that even if syringes were inaccurate (lol, now THAT would be worrying for the medical usage) the difference would be so slight, my old tonge couldn’t tell the difference!
The first time you mix by weight, you'll know the answer to that question. :D

Try some of the oneshot concentrates, find 2-3 you like & keep a rotation going. Then you can play around mixing different flavours in testers until you find some you like enough to make in bulk. Majority of mine are oneshots but do have 2/3 I mix & tweak.
You know what, I’ve never even looked at oneshots before (face palm) I didn’t even know what they were hahah....that looks like a good move for the likes of me and others that can’t seem to grasp mixing! They do seem to be three times the price, but, 3x of shitty mixes, or 1 good mix um, “I ain’t great at mafs, butt I fink I mite giv dat a go” :) Any companies you could recomend?

The first time you mix by weight, you'll know the answer to that question. :D
My girlfriend has some scales she never uses, always complains they add half a stone to her .... they’ll do :)

@doobiesnax You need jewellers type scales, up to 1kg (500g is fine unless your mixing more than 0.5l), with 2 decimal places & Tare facility. Around £6 on Amazon or there's some in @MrDJ vendor thread stickied in this section.
Personally I use Chefs Vapours & Darkstar but again recommendations in the Mixology thread.
As for cost I pay around £9 for enough concentrate to make 150ml. Add VG/PG & nic & it's still cheaper than £1 for 10ml. Keep an eye out for discount codes/special offers & before you know it you'll be bathing in juice :eek:

but yes would like a bit more ‘zing’.
-malic acid- I bought some ‘sour’ from chiefsflavours (can’t remember what brand) tried a two drops in 10 ml, couldn’t tell the difference, will try 0.1 ml in 10 ml when I get in tonight (I’m assuming ‘sour’ is malic acid and a bit of citric?)
Yes i would imagine it would do the job although i dont know what the malic/citric ratio would be.
Lorran tart and sour will do the same.
If cost is important nipping into the brew shop will stock you up forever for a couple of quid.

Fruit Flavor Enhancer 1oz-Tart & Sour https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001689RKO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_lQ9SAbPDZGHDF

Yes i would imagine it would do the job although i dont know what the malic/citric ratio would be.
Lorran tart and sour will do the same.
If cost is important nipping into the brew shop will stock you up forever for a couple of quid.

Fruit Flavor Enhancer 1oz-Tart & Sour https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001689RKO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_lQ9SAbPDZGHDF

Thanks for that as always, much appreciated.
I actually had some ‘sweet and sour’ that I forgot I had bought, never used it. Smelling it it has a lovely zing, and at 1%, made a massive difference to the simple blackcurrant, perfect!

@doobiesnax You need jewellers type scales, up to 1kg (500g is fine unless your mixing more than 0.5l), with 2 decimal places & Tare facility. Around £6 on Amazon or there's some in @MrDJ vendor thread stickied in this section.
Personally I use Chefs Vapours & Darkstar but again recommendations in the Mixology thread.
As for cost I pay around £9 for enough concentrate to make 150ml. Add VG/PG & nic & it's still cheaper than £1 for 10ml. Keep an eye out for discount codes/special offers & before you know it you'll be bathing in juice :eek:
Sorry, forgot to reply.
Indeed, it certainly works out about a third of the price of what my local vape shop would charge, and I haven’t been that impressed with most of what they stock anyhow (because I only like fruits) I went to town and bought various oneshots on chefsflavours, should definitely make things simple, and give me the results I’m after.
As for the jewlers scales, yep, i was aware that bathroom scales aren’t any good unless I want to make 25litres at a time .......not quite at that stage...yet hahaha. If these one shots are any good, I’ll be knocking up 100mls at a time, so yeah, syringes will be slow and messy for sure.

If mixing by weight remember that weights vary

10ml VG = 12.6g
10ml PG = 10.4g

ect ect... May be best to find out the density of the items you are using before proceeding, They do vary between supplier and concentrates can vary wildly too...

If mixing by weight remember that weights vary

10ml VG = 12.6g
10ml PG = 10.4g

ect ect... May be best to find out the density of the items you are using before proceeding, They do vary between supplier and concentrates can vary wildly too...

Another reason why I feel syringes are easier. I have an inate irrational fear of maths, it’s really like a kind of dyslexia but just with numbers. My brain goes to mush just trying to work out percentages! This is partly why I like working with ten ml bottles, when I get a mix right, I can then just multiply the amounts by the quantity I want...the idea of having to calculate different weights for differing vg/pg amounts just makes me want to hide under the bed hahaha!

Back
Top Bottom