What's new

Vape Tax.. we all knew it was coming

my view would be, it was good while it lasted. i’ve been puffing my home brew liquid for almost free for years now :)

How long do the tax changes take to enact? Might have to stock up before we see an extra 20% (+?) added

How long do the tax changes take to enact? Might have to stock up before we see an extra 20% (+?) added

It varies but I would imagine that as this is a new tax they will allow time for businesses to gear themselves up for it so I wouldn't imagine it'll be instant. I'd guess at least 3 months.

Immediately is usual for levies and duties assuming the HoC approves it, so March 6th or shortly thereafter. That said as there is no current levy/duty on e-liquids the pos systems retailers use may well have no facility to collect it.

Immediately is usual for levies and duties assuming the HoC approves it, so March 6th or shortly thereafter. That said as there is no current levy/duty on e-liquids the pos systems retailers use may well have no facility to collect it.
I was under the impression that tax will be collected via the wholesaler, not retailer...
(I could be wrong though)

I was under the impression that tax will be collected via the wholesaler, not retailer...
(I could be wrong though)

You may well be right though will their systems cater for it. It appears there may be a flat rate on zero nic e-liquid and varying rates based on the mg of nicotine per ml.

This tax could push folks back to smoking if the tax is high, though this may well be a good hit for the government, whatever you choose, your taxed.

This tax could push folks back to smoking if the tax is high, though this may well be a good hit for the government, whatever you choose, your taxed.
Governments tax anything that people find pleasurable so I'm not surprised vaping will be nexted.
I would of thought a big majority of vapers that switched from smoking did it for health reasons so I would be surprised just because vaping gets taxed it will make capers go back to smoking.

Thia is only really confirming what we already knew but if the rumours are true their plan is to keep the vape duty below that of cigarettes.

The other point is, as many DIYers already know, it is possible to make vaping incredibly cheap when you mix your own juice. It's not as if people can make their own cigarettes in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom