What's new

TC - the maths and the real world

I'm just playing with your magic analogy. It's cool. :)
Also, it's questioning the veracity of entering a number precise to 10 decimal places into a calculation that's only outputing a decent guess.
I prefer to think of it as a precisely calculated approximation. Don't spoil my illusions!

Has to be better having the device trying to calculate things based on the correct wire rather than us offsetting things for some wire the device isn't even attempting to compensate for, non? That's how I feel anyway. Wasn't really comfortable using NiFe in a device that didn't at least pretend to specifically cater for it.

I prefer to think of it as a precisely calculated approximation. Don't spoil my illusions!

Has to be better having the device trying to calculate things based on the correct wire rather than us offsetting things for some wire the device isn't even attempting to compensate for, non? That's how I feel anyway. Wasn't really comfortable using NiFe in a device that didn't at least pretend to specifically cater for it.
I'd like nothing more than precision. It would bring me deep joy to have it opaque in a black box. Precision with simplicity.
However, the fact is vapers can make coils from materials not supported by the device and still get a satisfactory outcome. Which you can feel positive or negative about and why I refer to the real world. Accuracy of resistance reading and the precise reading of temperature is not a real world objective, it's a technology objective. In the real world I want a warm vape, I want coils not to gunk up and I want my wicks to last longer, I want to taste the complexity of the juice and I want it all to be as safe as possible, given that I'm choosing to vape rather than not vape. Yep, you could say that I'm still in the shower, with a linear temperature adjustment from blue to red, not increments of 1 degree C/F ... or based values to 10 decimal places.

Also, it's questioning the veracity of entering a number precise to 10 decimal places into a calculation that's only outputing a decent guess.

The important thing really is significant figures (in this case 3) rather than decimal places. A decent set of kitchen scales can accurately measure 0.000123 tonnes, for example.

Science is a series of decent guesses, which get better as more data is gathered, experiments are done and technology is improved. A decent guess is better than a random guess, and pushing technology to it's limits encourages efforts to raise those limits. It's why we're not still sitting in caves in piles of our own shit. :)

Accuracy of resistance reading and the precise reading of temperature is not a real world objective, it's a technology objective.

OK, I think I am seeing your point now. So your ideal device would be something with a dial with an arbitrary scale, say 1-100 or blue to red, and it will fire any wire? I see no reason why that couldn't be done in principle, you'd just have to remember to use a low setting for SS, higher for Ti, higher for NiFe wires, and finally higher for Ni.

In theory, you'd have this if you had a device with a TCR set to around 0.003. You'd need a slightly expanded range to cover both SS and Ni properly. With a chip that normally does 100-300C, a TCR of 0.003 would just about prevent burning with SS (set at 100C) and just about get hot enough to vape with Ni (set at 300C). If you forget about SS, any currently available TC mod will be able to fire and control all wires in Ni mode.

There are a couple of issues with that though - loss of fine tuning ability and non-linear effects.

1. If your wire's actual TCR is lower than than the device "thinks", then you reduce the number of settings available in your normal vaping temperature range. For example, the normal 200-230C range (7 individual settings), might translate to the 150-170C range (5 settings) with the lower TCR wire. This is hard to explain without creating graphs, but this is what the maths says. You do get the opposite effect if the wire's actual TCR is higher than the mod "thinks" - you'd end up with more settings than usual in your vaping range. This is true for wires with a constant TCR (linear TCR profile).

2. Not all wires have linear TCR profiles in real life, Ni200 notably deviates significantly. This might result in strange things happening if you put a linear TCR wire on a mod expecting a non-linear TCR wire (or vice versa). NiFe30 (linear) on a DNA40 (which uses a non-linear Ni TCR curve) works pretty well - the temperature rises steadily as you increase the temperature up to about 200C. After this point, based on the TCR profile of Ni200, the mod starts expecting the TCR of the wire to significantly increase (as it does with Ni200). NiFe30 doesn't do this though, so as you start increasing the temp past 200C, NiFe30 suddenly gets hot very quickly.

So you can vape TC in 2 ways:

Method A. Vary the TCR profile as necessary, and vape in the same temp setting range regardless of wire.
Method B. Vary the temp setting range, and vape with the same TCR profile regardless of wire.

With either method, you have one variable and one constant - so I'd argue that neither method is operationally simpler. However, method A preserves fine tuning ability and avoids quirks of mismatches in linearity.

Last edited:
The important thing really is significant figures (in this case 3) rather than decimal places. A decent set of kitchen scales can accurately measure 0.000123 tonnes, for example.

Science is a series of decent guesses, which get better as more data is gathered, experiments are done and technology is improved. A decent guess is better than a random guess, and pushing technology to it's limits encourages efforts to raise those limits. It's why we're not still sitting in caves in piles of our own shit. :)

I always have an approximate shit

You can put any wire you like in a DNA 200 device and use TC if you can get the TFR curve file for it. You just upload it in escribe and add it to your device. I think manufacturers of vape wire will be supplying these with new wires as routine in the future, or people using the successors of DNA 200 type devices will just not buy them.

If you want to you can even make your own curve, if inclined to go to the trouble, but I believe this will get easier also.

friendly looking icons and navigation with customisable Themes like Windows.

Remember this little bastard?
paperclip.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if vape wire spools soon have a tiny usb key cliped into them with the TFR (
Temperature Factors of Resistance for newbies like me) file in it, and other useful stuff like images for your display and promotional offers etc.

You can put any wire you like in a DNA 200 device and use TC if you can get the TFR curve file for it. You just upload it in escribe and add it to your device. I think manufacturers of vape wire will be supplying these with new wires as routine in the future, or people using the successors of DNA 200 type devices will just not buy them.

If you want to you can even make your own curve, if inclined to go to the trouble, but I believe this will get easier also.
You see, I looked at a review of a Dicodes mod and marvelled at how much user-adjustable it is .... no, I'm lying, I laughed like a drain and thought it was simply crazy.
Same goes for the escribe software for the DNA200 - I laughed my head off. Is this really for vapers or 0.0000001% of vapers geeky enough to spend hours inputting data and setting up stuff that the manufacturers should be setting up? What are Evolv doing here - passing the buck onto users? They need to get real. That's not an advance, it's arse about face, that's the tail wagging the damn dog again.
It's just symptomatic of how early days the technology is. We'll all look back on this and laugh one day.

Back
Top Bottom