What's new

As another battery explodes in a pocket-who do you blame?

Forgot about Ecolux leaflet, it is hard to read though. The bit about trying cells in mods for size is probably more to do with 26650s which vary in size.

Glossy full colour both sides, 105 x 149mm (6 by 4 imperial)

2016-09-12 ecolux 02.jpg
2016-09-12 ecolux 01.jpg

At what point, did people decide that finding out if something is stupid/dangerous, or you shouldn't do it, was SOMEONE ELSES responsibility ??
There's no excuse for not finding out for yourself. Even as a kid, I wouldn't carry batteries (I'm talking double/triple A) in my pocket, so there was no chance of accidently draining them. If something has 20 or 25A on the side, it's not fuckin rocket science to figure out its not a good idea to risk shorting it out. If anyone can't figure that out for themselves, they've no business using them !

Exactly my thoughts.

I knew as a small child that batteries were not to be messed with(double and triple A's as you mentioned.

Now i'm 31 and messing with much bigger batteries, you better believe I made it my business to know what I was dealing with when I got into vaping with 18650s. How can others think differently?

That's like knowing a 9mm pistol is dangerous then assuming an AK47 isn't. Or saying "Don't mess with sowing needles, they can give you a nasty prick. But lets swing this samurai sword around, what could possible go wrong"? Where's the logic in that? Since when was the fact that even small batteries can be dangerous not common knowledge?

I place blame 100% on the user, warning or no warnings.

This is going to sound harsh for some but if you don't know, as a fully grown adult. that even small batteries are dangerous then you're an idiot and I hope natural selection takes you before your stupidity can harm others and/or be passed onto any offspring, leaving us with more idiots in the population.

I can see this turning from a card into a book. I wrote down some notes today and let's just say, it'll need to be a big piece of card.

- storage and handling
- 'short' warning
- broken wrap warning
- charging safely warning
- mix battery warnings
- max amp discharge warning
- over discharge/over charge warning
- battery life span warning

All the bases?
I can see it being hard to fit all information onto a card if you are covering all bases.

If you want to include all that information, then even better, but even a simple stop sign of a battery going into a pocket, with a tick showing a battery box, and a small explanation that these need to be handled correctly.

You could then probably fit information in text form for the most important things, such as shorts, broken wraps, and safe handling.

Maybe something along the lines of "LI-Ion batteries can be dangerous if misused or mishandled, never store batteries loose and always in a suitable container, ensure the wrapper is intact on the battery before each use, and ensure batteries are paired together from new for multi battery devices. Never leave batteries charging unattended, and remove them from charging immediately upon charge completion. Ignoring these safety precautions could result in a catastrophic failure resulting in severe injury to the user".

Most new users will be using a regulated mod, so things such as amp limits with beginner kits should be OK with all the protections built in, and the way regulated devices work making it harder to have a catastrophic failure of a cell.

I think what you are doing is great, but I have no idea how much a booklet would cost, even just a small card would be better than no advice at all and hopefully keep costs to a minimum.

EDIT: This is only my thoughts on the matter, what everyone is giving is very good advice regarding safety.

Last edited:
Thanks for that @conanthewarrior the cost isn't really an issue as there's actually a printing place next door to us that'll do us some mates rates. They come in at about 1p each - and that's only because I want 350gsm card with a nice matte finish :2thumbsup: Sometimes I wish I wasn't so fussy :(

There is a big difference in the quality of care given to customers in regards to batteries.
Today I received a couple of batteries in the post from @Ben fogstar.
Each battery was separately wrapped and they came in a sealed plastic case.
A couple of months ago, I bought some batteries from a very popular B & M.
I asked for a plastic case which I was willing to pay for to be told he does not stock them and only sells them in a cardboard tube with no writing on the outside indicating it's contents.
It was raining heavily at the time so the cardboard tube could have got soaked on the way home but luckily I managed to keep them dry and safe in an inside pocket.

There is a big difference in the quality of care given to customers in regards to batteries.
Today I received a couple of batteries in the post from @Ben fogstar.
Each battery was separately wrapped and they came in a sealed plastic case.
A couple of months ago, I bought some batteries from a very popular B & M.
I asked for a plastic case which I was willing to pay for to be told he does not stock them and only sells them in a cardboard tube with no writing on the outside indicating it's contents.
It was raining heavily at the time so the cardboard tube could have got soaked on the way home but luckily I managed to keep them dry and safe in an inside pocket.
Bizarre innit? Like buying petrol in a brown wax coated paper bag.

Back
Top Bottom