What's new

As another battery explodes in a pocket-who do you blame?

conanthewarrior

Achiever
Hi everyone.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-left-horrific-burns-after-8806111 (Efest-although this time it is probably not their fault).

I was readying through one of the Sunday papers to see another story, this time a middle aged man holding a 18650 that had vented with bad burns to his leg. It was being kept in his pocket.

I have always thought when I hear these stories "What donuts"-but my Mum made a good point, maybe he didn't even know you shouldn't keep these batteries loose in your pocket? We discussed this and agreed that people should know this, but who do you think the responsibility falls on?

I realise that people who join forums are not the majority, most buy a device to vape with and kick the cigarettes, so mostly aren't as clued up as people who discuss things on a daily basis.

I think at the very least shops should advise people to never carry batteries loose, then if it does happen it is the individuals fault, no one elses. I remember when I was younger and in my RC hell stage, thinking that LI-Po's couldn't be THAT dangerous? Could they?

After spending time on forums I realised that yes, they could, so I think new vapers really need to know carrying loose batteries is something you don't do.

What are others thoughts on this? And who do you think responsibility lies with to inform people of the potential dangers of batteries when mishandled?

Last edited:
I think battery companies should put more warning on labels. I normally get a unlabelled box with my batteries.

I think battery companies should put more warning on labels. I normally get a unlabelled box with my batteries.
That is one good idea. Also, I think that all of my batteries have come with a plastic box, or at least enough that I never would have to carry loose batteries. Do people think this is just for shipping, and throw these away?

You mention they come unlabelled, is this the same with your batteries? I only ask as shipments via air are required to have stickers on them, so are either on the slow boat from China or sourced elsewhere.

I've gone mental at someone at work before as he keeps spare batteries lose in his pocket, I've even given him cases to keep them in but does he use them. NO!! He has 3 young kids at home and I've spoken to him quietly, I've told him, I've shouted at him but nothing. Just shows you can try and help/educate people but it's down to the individual for his actions. I agree that there should be more from shops and online vendors to protect people to use cases, some people might be first time buyers.Most top battery sellers provide cases but it's down to the individual what they do.

Nice to know as this is the first time I've heard of this in about 4 months of vapeing, does this apply to just leaving a loose battery on the floor of a night time as I only have a 2 bay charger with a 3 battery mod so I charge 2 then put the other one in in the middle of the night ?

Warning labels will all add up to extra cost
That would be the excuse used to hike up prices

At the very minimum there should be some kind of warning printed on each battery
Then there are no excuses for these kinds of accidents

Look at cigarette packets, we have had warnings on those for years
The onus for any health problems, are then passed onto the smoker

A month or so back i was recommended a video to watch. It was a well respected reviewer who obviously knew his stuff, or so i thought. So imagine my horror when i saw him sitting with a table full of loose 18650's. Im not a battery expert but having been around this forum i know that batteries have the potential to act as violently as a hand grenade and they NEED to be stored correctly. If i didn't know this and having seen that video i could have quite easily assumed that i could be throwing loose batteries together in anything i fancied. Im my bag, in a bowl, in my pocket.

Battery safety should be one of the biggest priorities for all sellers, forums and vapers and more emphasis should be put on getting this information out to people

Just to add. This forum is the single best resource for giving good solid safety advice but it's kinda scary what goes on out there.

I've gone mental at someone at work before as he keeps spare batteries lose in his pocket, I've even given him cases to keep them in but does he use them. NO!! He has 3 young kids at home and I've spoken to him quietly, I've told him, I've shouted at him but nothing. Just shows you can try and help/educate people but it's down to the individual for his actions. I agree that there should be more from shops and online vendors to protect people to use cases, some people might be first time buyers.Most top battery sellers provide cases but it's down to the individual what they do.
Hi mate.

I do applaud you for trying to get your friend to be safe, and not carry loose batteries in his pocket, even giving him cases to use but he still ignores this.

In a case like this, if something was to go wrong, there is no one to blame but your friend (Sorry if it is a good friend, I don't mean this nastily), and like you say down to the individual and what they do.

So yes, some people will not listen to any advice which is a shame, my fiancee did not seem to understand just what could happen when an 18650 does fail, and did carry batteries loose completely against my advice. I showed her a video of one venting, and since she always uses the boxes I have given her.

Maybe if shops could show exactly what happens when a battery fails this would make people use cases? Not to scare off new vapers, and it would have to be explained this is what could occur if you don't follow advice? It would take half a minute to show a new user a video of a cell venting, and could just be enough if you explain your front pocket is right next to your crown jewels lol.

Warning labels will all add up to extra cost
That would be the excuse used to hike up prices

At the very minimum there should be some kind of warning printed on each battery
Then there are no excuses for these kinds of accidents

Look at cigarette packets, we have had warnings on those for years
The onus for any health problems, are then passed onto the smoker
I guess a warning label could work for a lot of people, but as @stu pid pointed out, he has a friend that will not listen to any advice given on the matter.

I was thinking that a video of a catastrophic failure may be a good idea to show what can happen if you don't handle these batteries correctly.

A month or so back i was recommended a video to watch. It was a well respected reviewer who obviously knew his stuff, or so i thought. So imagine my horror when i saw him sitting with a table full of loose 18650's. Im not a battery expert but having been around this forum i know that batteries have the potential to act as violently as a hand grenade and they NEED to be stored correctly. If i didn't know this and having seen that video i could have quite easily assumed that i could be throwing loose batteries together in anything i fancied. Im my bag, in a bowl, in my pocket.

Battery safety should be one of the biggest priorities for all sellers, forums and vapers and more emphasis should be put on getting this information out to people

Just to add. This forum is the single best resource for giving good solid safety advice but it's kinda scary what goes on out there.
I think I may know who you are talking about, was they sitting behind him on display standing up?

Batteries when treated correctly are safe, we use similar batteries in our phones, laptops and other devices daily.

I think that it should be a big priority for sellers, most vapers on forums offer sound advice regarding safety which is good to see, especially when it is helping newer vapers.

And it IS scary what goes on out there, I agree.

@jsixtysix do you mean every battery should come with an easy to read label, or actual pocket :20: lol.

Back
Top Bottom