What's new

As another battery explodes in a pocket-who do you blame?

I think any warning leaflets should be mainly regarding safe storage and carrying. Most accidents are caused by hard shorts rather than low builds and most hard shorts usually occur due to idiots carrying them loose in their pockets or continuing to use them when the wrap or insulator is damaged.

I think it's important to remind buyers that cells have different ratings for different uses AND a warning to never mix different cells.
Perhaps also a reminder to only use chargers that come well recommended on forums.

I think it's important to remind buyers that cells have different ratings for different uses AND a warning to never mix different cells.
Perhaps also a reminder to only use chargers that come well recommended on forums.
I'd agree but the main focus should be on safe carriage and storage. I may well be miles off base though.

I've read through the thread, and I agree with all of you. Feel really bad for the guys leg.

I'll have a designer work on some safety cards today. And I'll supply them with all batteries shipped out in the future @mannikon suggested this to me the other day, I'll make it a priority.
This is fantastic to hear, I hope other dealers start to do this as has been mentioned, a lot of people who want to vape will just go into a shop and buy a mod and a battery, and treat them like 'normal' batteries, they are used to handling them and most people don't realise an 18650 isn't really a general consumer product like AA cells are.

This really has made me happy to read though, there are no excuses when information is given regarding safety, if it is ignored I then blame the person who ignored it and in no way a supplier such as yourself going to the extent of sending cards on battery safety with each order.

Well done mate, you could well be saving someone a lot of pain.

That is also a very good point regarding not mixing cells, and also ratings of cells, I am thinking for the average new user more than anything though, the type who buys a simple mod and has no clue that 18650's are different to the batteries they are used to handling-but is still sound advice that people should know by the time they are using a multi cell mod.

I'd agree but the main focus should be on safe carriage and storage. I may well be miles off base though.
I did mean in the OP mainly about carriage and storage, so you wasn't wrong at all, but all information regarding safety to new users I feel is important.

I am really glad to see that Ben from Fogstar is arranging for cards to be sent with his batteries covering safe handling of them, well done @mannikon for having talks with him on this matter too- we can offer advice to new users, which is fantastic. If a user then decides to ignore this and has an accident, I blame them completely.

I think that because batteries are not always specifically sold for use with vaping devices, the warnings about battery use should be included with any device in which they are going to be used, and be in big bold red font in several different languages. If it adds a £ or whatever to the cost of the device it is better than a trip to the emergency room, not that some people will bother reading it.

Here is an advert showing mixed cells in one mod :11:

dont mix cells.jpg

26F I think on the right which is old ICR chemistry ...

This has been lifted from Smok by whoever but better than nothing!

cell wrap safety.jpg

Even Efest issue these sometimes:

efest safety card.jpg

and a couple more which could be used or adapted

mech cell safety.png

(not so sure about that last one)

battery-mod-safety.png

I can see this turning from a card into a book. I wrote down some notes today and let's just say, it'll need to be a big piece of card.

- storage and handling
- 'short' warning
- broken wrap warning
- charging safely warning
- mix battery warnings
- max amp discharge warning
- over discharge/over charge warning
- battery life span warning

All the bases?

Marrying batteries (to each other in sets, not to mods)

Dispose of used cells safely

Dispose-Batteries.png

I can see this turning from a card into a book. I wrote down some notes today and let's just say, it'll need to be a big piece of card.

- storage and handling
- 'short' warning
- broken wrap warning
- charging safely warning
- mix battery warnings
- max amp discharge warning
- over discharge/over charge warning
- battery life span warning

All the bases?

Ecoluxshop have a leaflet they stick in with their batteries, can't seem to find one knocking about but as well as some warnings it also has a bit about trying the cell/s in your device before charging them first to see if they fit. I'm guessing because a charged cell is a used cell which is outside the returns policy.

@Ben fogstar it's great to read your thinking of doing this and I applaud you sir for listening and giving it a go. Just because some of us more experienced vapours take this as a given we should stop and think about the new people getting into vaping that don't know the ins and outs of safety (we've all been there), and anyone implementing procedures to stop things like in the OP should be helped and supported to try and stop bad things happening in vaping. Top Man.

Back
Top Bottom