What's new

Parliament Petition: Don’t ban flavoured e-liquids for e-cigarettes

depends what you do for a job. i would encourage people with meaningless, non socially useful jobs to do as little as they can get away with.

there was some research that i was reading a while ago where they argued that 80% of work people do ranges from not useful to society in the slightest, to extremely detrimental. fuck that :)
Where the hell were you reading that drivel?

Commies are us ?

;)

Where the hell were you reading that drivel?

Commies are us ?

;)

no, they’re sometimes the worst for the “virtue through suffering” work ethic stuff. it is pure delusion.

can’t remember what it was i was reading, but it wasn’t this book by david graeber.

“In the year 1930, John Maynard Keynes predicted that, by century's end, technology would have advanced sufficiently that countries like Great Britain or the United States would have achieved a 15-hour work week. There's every reason to believe he was right. In technological terms, we are quite capable of this. And yet it didn't happen. Instead, technology has been marshaled, if anything, to figure out ways to make us all work more. In order to achieve this, jobs have had to be created that are, effectively, pointless. Huge swathes of people, in Europe and North America in particular, spend their entire working lives performing tasks they secretly believe do not really need to be performed. The moral and spiritual damage that comes from this situation is profound. It is a scar across our collective soul. Yet virtually no one talks about it.

Why did Keynes' promised utopia—still being eagerly awaited in the '60s—never materialise? The standard line today is that he didn't figure in the massive increase in consumerism. Given the choice between less hours and more toys and pleasures, we've collectively chosen the latter. This presents a nice morality tale, but even a moment's reflection shows it can't really be true. Yes, we have witnessed the creation of an endless variety of new jobs and industries since the '20s, but very few have anything to do with the production and distribution of sushi, iPhones, or fancy sneakers.

So what are these new jobs, precisely? A recent report comparing employment in the US between 1910 and 2000 gives us a clear picture (and I note, one pretty much exactly echoed in the UK). Over the course of the last century, the number of workers employed as domestic servants, in industry, and in the farm sector has collapsed dramatically. At the same time, ‘professional, managerial, clerical, sales, and service workers’ tripled, growing ‘from one-quarter to three-quarters of total employment.’ In other words, productive jobs have, just as predicted, been largely automated away (even if you count industrial workers globally, including the toiling masses in India and China, such workers are still not nearly so large a percentage of the world population as they used to be.)

But rather than allowing a massive reduction of working hours to free the world's population to pursue their own projects, pleasures, visions, and ideas, we have seen the ballooning of not even so much of the ‘service’ sector as of the administrative sector, up to and including the creation of whole new industries like financial services or telemarketing, or the unprecedented expansion of sectors like corporate law, academic and health administration, human resources, and public relations. And these numbers do not even reflect on all those people whose job is to provide administrative, technical, or security support for these industries, or for that matter the whole host of ancillary industries (dog-washers, all-night pizza delivery) that only exist because everyone else is spending so much of their time working in all the other ones.

These are what I propose to call ‘bullshit jobs’.”

I cant read a passage that long unless its got zombies, stormtroopers or vampires in it.

But i get the drift - there is defo some truth to it.

I get tens of calls every day from either telemarketers or people whos job somehow sits in the middle of us the manufacturer and you the end customer / “ you need to use our review app - you will get more reviews”, “have you wver thought of joining a paid trade association”, “how about outsourcing your human resources?”

We call them “middle man bullshit” - i have a tendency to hang up or be uncharacteristically rude, depending on how much of a zone im in on what im doing.

On thinking about it - i guess there are HUGE sectors as well.

I cant read a passage that long unless its got zombies, stormtroopers or vampires in it.

But i get the drift - there is defo some truth to it.

I get tens of calls every day from either telemarketers or people whos job somehow sits in the middle of us the manufacturer and you the end customer / “ you need to use our review app - you will get more reviews”, “have you wver thought of joining a paid trade association”, “how about outsourcing your human resources?”

We call them “middle man bullshit” - i have a tendency to hang up or be uncharacteristically rude, depending on how much of a zone im in on what im doing.

On thinking about it - i guess there are HUGE sectors as well.
You can add the whole financial industry to the 'middle man bullshit'.
You give them some of your savings and they play with it to make money for themselves, and give you back a little extra. If they didn't exist, your life wouldn't change, you would just get a little less interest on your savings. Fucking parasites.

Even the weed is fruity and candy named now... Zkittlez for example.

It's definitely a very deliberate tactic by some of these drug dealers. They absolutely couldn't give a toss who they hurt. All they care about is trying to get people, particularly kids, hooked on drugs so they can make more money.

Yeah, the weirdly named Cali strains were starting to appear as I was stopping. Gelato and Girl Scout Cookies etc. AK47, Jack Herar, Super Silver Haze and White Widow were the classics in my day. It's not something I could go back to, but I have no issue with adults doing it in the comfort of their own homes.

It's definitely a very deliberate tactic by some of these drug dealers. They absolutely couldn't give a toss who they hurt. All they care about is trying to get people, particularly kids, hooked on drugs so they can make more money.
Maybe we need a government petition. Legalise it, give out supplier licenses and make it taste of tobacco or menthol. 🤣

Sorry, that sounds like politicians' morality talk to me...

Yeah sure, there will be some unscrupulous drug dealers out there, but there also some that are simply responding to a demand in the market, and trying to earn some money.

I'm not trying to advocate taking drugs, but where there's a demand, there will be a supply.. and so what if they call whatever variants by fancy names...
(a lot of the names relate to a whole sub-culture behind it anyway)

depends who you define as a drug dealer.

Back
Top Bottom