What's new

Parliament Petition: Don’t ban flavoured e-liquids for e-cigarettes

You recently signed the petition:

Don’t ban flavoured e-liquids for e-cigarettes
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/656683

Because of the General Election, the closing date for the petition you signed has changed. All petitions now have to close at 00:01am on 30 May. This is because Parliament will be dissolved, which means all parliamentary business – including petitions – must stop. This means the petitions site will be closed and people will not be able to start or sign petitions.

We’re sorry we weren’t able to give you more notice that this would happen.

The petition will be available for people to read on the site even though it will be closed for signatures. This petition won’t be reopened after the election.

The Government can’t respond to petitions during the election period. This means if the petition has over 10,000 signatures, it can’t receive a response from the current Government after 29 May. After the election, the new Government will have to decide whether to respond to petitions from before the election.

The current Petitions Committee, the group of MPs who decide whether petitions are debated, won’t exist after 30 May. This means that if the petition has over 100,000 signatures, it can’t be scheduled for debate during this Parliament. After the election, a new Petitions Committee will be responsible for deciding which petitions are debated.

The petitions site will reopen when a new Petitions Committee is appointed, but at the moment we don’t know exactly when. You can follow us on X (formerly Twitter) @HoCPetitions for updates, or check back on the petitions site for news.

You can find out more about what the General Election means for your petitions on our website: https://committees.parliament.uk/co...petitions-and-the-2024-general-election-faqs/

Ahead of the General Election on 4 July, make sure you’re registered to vote. You can check whether you’re eligible to vote and find out how to register at: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote. The deadline to register to vote is Tuesday 18 June.

Many thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

The General Election means that the petitions website and all petitions must close on Thursday 30 May. Those petitions will not reopen after the election.
Why is the petitions site closing?
When there is a general election, Parliament closes for a few weeks before the vote, for the election campaign. The petitions website is part of the official work of Parliament, so it has to stop too.
The petitions site will close at 00.01am (just after midnight) on Thursday 30 May because the General Election means that Parliament has to be ‘dissolved’.
What will happen to the petitions?
All petitions that were open on the site will be closed and will no longer be able to be signed. They won’t be reopened after the election. They’ll still be available for people to read on the site.
Will my petition be opened again after the general election?
No. You can start a new petition when the site re-opens.
Can I carry over the signatures my petition has already collected?
No. You can start a new petition and collect new signatures once the site re-opens. This can include people who signed your previous petition.
When can I start a new petition?
The petitions site will open again once the House of Commons sets up a new Petitions Committee. We don't know yet exactly when that will happen.
You can follow us on X (formerly Twitter) at @HoCPetitions for updates, or check back on the petitions site for updates.
My petition got 10,000 signatures before the site closed. Will the Government still have to respond?
The Government can’t respond during the election period. It will be up to the new Government to decide whether to respond to petitions from before the election.
My petition got 100,000 signatures before the site closed. Will it get debated?
The current Petitions Committee (the group of MPs who decide which petitions are debated) will no longer exist when Parliament is dissolved. Decisions about whether to debate any petitions from the current Parliament will be the responsibility of the new Petitions Committee. This has generally happened after previous elections, but would be up to the new Committee.
What happens to the Petitions Committee when there is a general election?
Following the dissolution of Parliament on 30 May, all select committees, including the Petitions Committee, cease to exist. New Committees will be appointed by the new House of Commons and until then, there are no Chairs or Members of Committees.
Further information
We’ll update this website with news about the new Petitions Committee and reopening of the site. You can also follow us on X (formerly Twitter) at @HoCPetitions for updates.

As I see it if the threat to vaping is renewed by a new government the petition will have to be renewed.

As I see it if the threat to vaping is renewed by a new government the petition will have to be renewed.
Unfortunately the petition had slowed between 40k-50k, and slowed even more after 50k (presently at 54.5k), and would have been extremely unlikely to have reached 100k by the end (would have normally run for 6 months).

A new petition would seem unlikely to gain more traction (maybe less, as all the same people would need to sign again)...

Unfortunately the petition had slowed between 40k-50k, and slowed even more after 50k (presently at 54.5k), and would have been extremely unlikely to have reached 100k by the end (would have normally run for 6 months).

A new petition would seem unlikely to gain more traction (maybe less, as all the same people would need to sign again)...
My mantra is not to worry about something that I have no control over so lets wait until the bridge is built before we try to cross it.

So basically we get to start all over again when the next shower of whatever form a government.

Back
Top Bottom