What's new

Question for some experienced vapers regarding builds + flavour..

Laurie1992

Initiate
Hi Everyone,

I'm delving into the world of rebuildables again (after failing to enjoy my first RTA - Obs engine mini) and am stuck in a bit of a rut.

I enjoy my sub ohm tanks that are easy to use and give me good flavour, but I have always liked the idea of building my own coils and any review I ever read tells me pretty much most things built taste better and give more substance than the likes of the crown, tfv series and my personal favourite the wotofo flow.

So, I did a bit of research and went and got myself a Wotofo Troll RTA and have been trying various builds on it recently (and on my OBS) with some nice claptons, fused and alien ones too with some cotton bacon.

I'm sure i'm building it right, i've tried loads of wicking methods with shorted and thinner wick, longer and slightly bigger..etc and all the same result... - Definitely muted flavour from what the juices smell like and taste in my sub-ohm tanks, sometimes a not so nice aftertaste on my throat or a cough, huge pops that spit out liquid on the odd occasion that puts anyone else off from trying it and I just don't know what i'm doing wrong?

Starting to feel like this is actually what it's all about and that a lot of people just prefer it.. Any help guys? Will try and post a picture of my deck in an update once I have got through this liquid this morning!

Hi @Laurie1992 , I haven't used that rta but placement of the coils could affect flavour a little, try placing your coils closer to the airflow and see if that helps.

Troll is a cloud chasing RTA and not particularly good on the flavour front. As for popping, you've either got a hotspot on your coil or not enough wick through the coil.

I've got the Obs engine Mini too, and wouldn't call that a flavour tank either! flavours are quite muted and dull.

popping, dry throat and weird taste all sound like a wicking issue. got pics?

I had a similar problem with flavour (or lack of) from my TFV12 RTA.

Turns out, I got carried away building my own coils and made a 3.0mm 6wrap fused Clapton that was simply too big for my device to heat and vapourise juice properly (unless I blasted it on 200W which wasn't particularly pleasant on the lungs).

My advice is trial-and-error, play around with builds until you find a coil size, wire, wick etc that works for your tank and juice. If you're like me, you'll cock it up about 6 times until you get it right.

As others have said, it might be that you have the wrong hardware for what you're after. Just another excuse to get some new toys

Pics would definitely help. I can't commend on the flavourfulness of the two you have, but the popping/spitback and weird dry taste does sound like a wicking issue. I've always ignored the less is more school of thought with cotton. More is more for me! Especially with cotton bacon. That is some damn good cotton

A friend of mine uses an OBS engine and he uses it with dual parallel coils about 2mm diameter just round kanthal wire, he vapes it at about 70w and it's okay but I prefer a lower power etc. He loves it though.

As people have said it's all about trial and error, especially with RTAs they leave less room for error compared to RDAs...

First things first, are you getting all the hotspots out of your coils and making sure they glow from the inside out before putting cotton through them?

Next up would be coil size and placement, I'm not familiar with the deck of the troll but from what I can see online you're gonna want your coils placed fairly low down, close to the two tubes which bring the air in.. Inner diameter would be a rough guess for me, I'd say start with 3mm, ensure your coil doesn't hang too far past the airflow holes on either side..

In terms of spitback, you want the cotton to be fairly tight in between the coil...

Wicking on it would be completely trial and error, but try thinning the cotton out slightly before you tuck it in

If still in doubt, watch some YouTube reviews and see how those guys have built there's

Think @Fez-Vapes has given a pretty full guide there. 2 things I find key for flavour in RTA's which is all I use. Thin the hell out of the cotton. I cut at an angle the cotton up to the coil at each side. I find less cotton is key to flavour but there are fine lines. But I always trim cotton off and then fluff the shit out of it. Those pincer pliers are great for doing this. Then lightly fold or tuck cotton in, depending on deck.

OBS is no flavour tank and Troll is not the best either. Liquid popping as stated above is either down to not enough which actually in the coil (needs to be fairly tight) or not enough power being applied to the coils.

Really is trial and error and hope you manage to suss it.

Back
Top Bottom