What's new

The return to MTL and restricted lung vaping

Hi apes. My apologies if this is a bit long winded.

Got a package full of shinnyitus this morning, as well as some concs to continue mixing, as some numpty forget to check all the recipes and making sure he had the concs to make the mixes he'd earmarked.:banghead:

From left to right we have the Hotcig GT-s V2, the Kayfun Mini V3 and the Calix clone.

20160521_121609.jpg

Rather surprised with the packaging for the Kayfun Mini, which despite being sandwiched between the other two boxes, still managed to get damaged. Upon opening, the contents were unscathed tho and first impressions were tiny, but eye catching and the word that sprung to mind is slick. Upon strip down the first thing I noticed was how very nicely finished it was and the quality of the machine threading on all parts. It came apart and went back together a dream and makes the Nautilus look like it was made by a caveman. Sorry Aspire, but it just does. The deck is fiddly for someone with short chubby digits and somewhat on the small side. Don't know what I was expecting, but after coiling my Velocity, it did feel tiny. I tried a 26g Kanthal build, following a video on YouTube, but I could not get the tiny screws to hold the wire secure.:17: 28 gauge worked a great deal better and 9 wraps finally popped up at 1.34 ohms. I then built the other coils for the other decks to the same spec, in order to get them all around the 1.6 ohms of the Nautilus coil. My reasoning was, if I'm going to compare these tanks with the Nautilus they were purchased to replace, then as level a playing field for test purposes would be desirable. All the tanks have been filled with the same juice for the purpose of this test too.

The Hotcig GT-S V2 came in a very unusual box and even my wife commented on it's great presentation box. This has bar far the biggest tank of the three and to me, the heaviest. It immediately felt well finished and like the Kayfun the machining and quality of fit made the Nautilus feel inferior. The deck on this one is very very similar to that of the Kayfun and the coil build went much smoother and I ended up with a 1.37 ohm build, identical to the Kayfun. One problem I did encounter with the build on this deck was the fact that if one pushes the cover that surrounds the deck to far into the base, the screws on the deck will not permit the top cap to be replaced, but once experienced easily rectified. By the time I put this one back together I was beginning to feel that the Nautilus was not in the same league as these two and in fact the Calix kicked the Nautilus very squarely into 4th place. For some reason this one ended up on my mod and I've been chuffing away quite happily on it at 11 watts and first impressions are very flavourful, but most importantly, no loss of flavour so far, as happens quite quickly with the Nautilus, but it is early days in the testing.

The Calix is the dumpiest of the three and again, to my eye, pleasing to look at. Again the feel of quality came straight through and just like the other two was machined well and came apart and went back together without a hitch. The deck on this one is a little different and to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of it. If you check this link you will see what I mean, as I forgot to take pics whilst they were apart.

https://www.fasttech.com/product/3950500-calix-styled-rta-rebuildable-tank-atomizer

Anyway I finally got the 1.63 ohm coil in place, but it wasn't pretty to watch and thankfully you weren't. Other than that slight niggle and I assume that I will get better with practice. all in all, it's another a very good product, well finished and well made.

So what do I think overall, well all three well made, look the part as far as I'm concerned, building on them all was a bit of a challenge for me, but then in my defence I am relatively new to coiling lark, but if I can build on these decks anyone should be able to. All three tanks only cost a total of £33.87 and to be perfectly honest for £11 average cost per tank they certainly outperform their meagre price tag and so far I'm quite impressed, but one should bare in mind I have no experience of the authentic models, or any top end tanks for that matter.

If you've got this far, thank you and I hope I haven't bored the gonads off you all.

Hi apes. My apologies if this is a bit long winded.

Got a package full of shinnyitus this morning, as well as some concs to continue mixing, as some numpty forget to check all the recipes and making sure he had the concs to make the mixes he'd earmarked.:banghead:

From left to right we have the Hotcig GT-s V2, the Kayfun Mini V3 and the Calix clone.

View attachment 91387

Rather surprised with the packaging for the Kayfun Mini, which despite being sandwiched between the other two boxes, still managed to get damaged. Upon opening, the contents were unscathed tho and first impressions were tiny, but eye catching and the word that sprung to mind is slick. Upon strip down the first thing I noticed was how very nicely finished it was and the quality of the machine threading on all parts. It came apart and went back together a dream and makes the Nautilus look like it was made by a caveman. Sorry Aspire, but it just does. The deck is fiddly for someone with short chubby digits and somewhat on the small side. Don't know what I was expecting, but after coiling my Velocity, it did feel tiny. I tried a 26g Kanthal build, following a video on YouTube, but I could not get the tiny screws to hold the wire secure.:17: 28 gauge worked a great deal better and 9 wraps finally popped up at 1.34 ohms. I then built the other coils for the other decks to the same spec, in order to get them all around the 1.6 ohms of the Nautilus coil. My reasoning was, if I'm going to compare these tanks with the Nautilus they were purchased to replace, then as level a playing field for test purposes would be desirable. All the tanks have been filled with the same juice for the purpose of this test too.

The Hotcig GT-S V2 came in a very unusual box and even my wife commented on it's great presentation box. This has bar far the biggest tank of the three and to me, the heaviest. It immediately felt well finished and like the Kayfun the machining and quality of fit made the Nautilus feel inferior. The deck on this one is very very similar to that of the Kayfun and the coil build went much smoother and I ended up with a 1.37 ohm build, identical to the Kayfun. One problem I did encounter with the build on this deck was the fact that if one pushes the cover that surrounds the deck to far into the base, the screws on the deck will not permit the top cap to be replaced, but once experienced easily rectified. By the time I put this one back together I was beginning to feel that the Nautilus was not in the same league as these two and in fact the Calix kicked the Nautilus very squarely into 4th place. For some reason this one ended up on my mod and I've been chuffing away quite happily on it at 11 watts and first impressions are very flavourful, but most importantly, no loss of flavour so far, as happens quite quickly with the Nautilus, but it is early days in the testing.

The Calix is the dumpiest of the three and again, to my eye, pleasing to look at. Again the feel of quality came straight through and just like the other two was machined well and came apart and went back together without a hitch. The deck on this one is a little different and to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of it. If you check this link you will see what I mean, as I forgot to take pics whilst they were apart.

https://www.fasttech.com/product/3950500-calix-styled-rta-rebuildable-tank-atomizer

Anyway I finally got the 1.63 ohm coil in place, but it wasn't pretty to watch and thankfully you weren't. Other than that slight niggle and I assume that I will get better with practice. all in all, it's another a very good product, well finished and well made.

So what do I think overall, well all three well made, look the part as far as I'm concerned, building on them all was a bit of a challenge for me, but then in my defence I am relatively new to coiling lark, but if I can build on these decks anyone should be able to. All three tanks only cost a total of £33.87 and to be perfectly honest for £11 average cost per tank they certainly outperform their meagre price tag and so far I'm quite impressed, but one should bare in mind I have no experience of the authentic models, or any top end tanks for that matter.

If you've got this far, thank you and I hope I haven't bored the gonads off you all.
Well done mate. They are fantastically well made. And vape like a dream. Can't.keep off the kayfun and gt 2. The coiling gets easier bit once done if you dry burn and rinse it will last for months. Believe it or not after all this time I coiled a spare kayfun yesterday the wrong way round. Ie: the cotton would have laid onto the screws. I put it down to the tablets. Took me ten minutes to make that coil too.

Really thinking of buying a couple of the rtas mentioned on this thread but don't think building, will be for me decisions decisions.
My primary enjoyment from vaping is flavour clouds aren't for me

I checked it & it was tight, the block's firmly in place too :(

I'm done faffing for today, mixed 300ml of juice, built & wicked the Tsunami & pissed around with the Cthulhu's wicking, time to relax, I'm suffering vape exhaustion:56:

If the centre post is properly tight then I would check that the post screws are tight and you don't have any stray tails sticking out from the base, finally make sure the 510 screw holding the square baseplate is fully tight as well. Not much more it could be, unless one of the o-rings is too small.

Really thinking of buying a couple of the rtas mentioned on this thread but don't think building, will be for me decisions decisions.

Building is not that hard, if you can wrap a piece of wire round a screwdriver then screw it down you're good to go, the Kayfun Mini V3 is by far the easiest to build on and most forgiving of these RTA's and is a flavour monster.

I'd suggest watching a build video on YouTube to see just how easy it is, once you have a coil in place it should last for months, with a dry burn and changing cotton taking 5 minutes.

I'm kind of the same, I don't really enjoy building like some people do, I'm more of 'stick a coil in the nautilus' kind of bloke. .... but for the price of the Kayfun V3 clone, I think it's worth a punt even if it's just for back up if you run out of coils or are waiting for some in the mail or whatever.

If the centre post is properly tight then I would check that the post screws are tight and you don't have any stray tails sticking out from the base, finally make sure the 510 screw holding the square baseplate is fully tight as well. Not much more it could be, unless one of the o-rings is too small.

Touch wood mate, all seems good now, sitting pretty at 1.3 ohms.

Like I said Friday, everything with the atty looks ok, I just played around with the AFC control screw & it started to behave, 520's in tight. The build's solid too, screws down tight, leads clipped short, no part of the coil touching the deck or chimney. I've coiled Kayfuns dozens of times & never had ohm readings fluctuate

I do suspect a o-ring's too small as it wasn't keeping it's vacuum at first but a couple more refills & it's holding steady. I'll keep my eye on the little sucker ;)

I'm kind of the same, I don't really enjoy building like some people do, I'm more of 'stick a coil in the nautilus' kind of bloke. .... but for the price of the Kayfun V3 clone, I think it's worth a punt even if it's just for back up if you run out of coils or are waiting for some in the mail or whatever.
Maybe consider a Kanger Subtank Mini. Takes pre made coils. Can go from MTL to restricted lung hit, to full lung hit. Comes with an easy to coil RBA deck. For many it's the bridge from pre-made to making their own coils.

I've got one in the classifieds, as do a few others. Not the reason I'd recommend it though...

Back
Top Bottom