What's new

UK to raise smoking age from 18, by one year, every year.

I read something ages ago, that obesity causes more health problems than tobacco

miby, it’s no a drug though. maybe the worst case would be some poor cunt who is an obese alcoholic heroin addicted chain smoker? :)

but anyway, the more i think about it the more this new law seems daft. smoking is dying out anyway. i think it’s a smokescreen to distract our attention away from the dire mess that sunak and the tories are in and the return of lost mary :)

Surely the burning question is how did Mary get lost in the first place?

they aren’t necessarily. what we do know objectively is smoking is the most harmful in terms of health impact, though.
I think everyone disagrees with you on this.. so it sounds totally subjective (from your point of view)...
this is true, and i think it’s definitely the case that smoking fags kills more people than any of the class a drugs ;)
Well, of course it does, loads more people smoke than take class A drugs!
And not all Class A drugs can kill, e.g. LSD (although people have jumped off buildings on it).. but that is presumably Class A due to it's potent effect on the mind.. and being somewhat counter-cultural...
miby one of the criteria is “no therapeutic use case” which puts fags right up there :)
We've already established that there is therapeutic benefit to smoking (the nicotine).

miby one of the criteria is “no therapeutic use case” which puts fags right up there :)
We've already established that there is therapeutic benefit to smoking (the nicotine).
Here -
https://safernicotine.wiki/mediawik...erapeutic_benefits#Mental_Health_-_Depression
Nicotine is used for a number of reasons. In human studies, acute administration of nicotine can have positive effects on cognitive processes, such as improving attention, fine motor coordination, concentration, memory, speed of information processing, and alleviation of boredom or drowsiness. Some nicotine users benefit from self-medication effects for alleviation of stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental health and medical conditions, including schizophrenia and Parkinson’s Disease. Nicotine also reverses cognitive deficits caused by withdrawal. It is not clear if chronic use of nicotine enhances cognitive function.

I think everyone disagrees with you on this.. so it sounds totally subjective (from your point of view)...

maybe i was exaggerating a bit for effect. but i found an easy read version of the study linked above, which includes this graph. and it turns out they did include tobacco.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-11660210.amp

upload_2023-10-9_17-20-57.jpeg

it’s more harmful to the end user than amphetamines and just almost neck and neck with cocaine. so it’s definitely up there with the “class a” category. so maybe we can put this point to rest :)

Well, of course it does, loads more people smoke than take class A drugs!
And not all Class A drugs can kill, e.g. LSD (although people have jumped off buildings on it).. but that is presumably Class A due to it's potent effect on the mind.. and being somewhat counter-cultural...

it is true that there seem to be more smokers than drug users. but i don’t think as much as you think, it’s probably quite marginal. maybe five times more smokers than class a drug users. but add cannabis and other types of drugs and i think it might even be pretty similar. and that’s not accounting for the clandestine tendencies of drugs users. it will definitely be underreported.

anecdotally we could say that, but the state and the medical establishment believe it has no therapeutic use, only associated harms. and it is them who decide how drugs are categorised, penalties for transgressions and suchlike. remember that is where we started with this.

Back
Top Bottom