What's new

Was scared of batteries and high power mods. This thread changed it all.

Do you own the smok alien yourself?

• Total voters
Gonna crash out soon but if the calculator don't help you I would need more details on what core is clapton and wrap size. Size of your ID of coil ect. Single coil I presume?

Guys I came across something that I still dont understand fully here.. @conanthewarrior you might be able to answer me on this? Anyone feel free to explain tho :p I understand now that the amps = volt / resistance. So when it shows 5.096V and the coil is 0.419ohm the amp is 12.16. This is at 55W. I cranked it up to 65W and then its 5.566v so 13.28 amp. How would I know what the voltage would be if I were to set the vape to 100? I would like to be able to calculate this BEFORE trying it and the display shows me. What do I do? :P

I dont know if im doing something wrong here, but if i take 8.4v as I have understood is the highest volt of both my batteries combined, and divide that by the resistance in a coil I havent used yet which is 0,15 ohm, its over 50 amps.. can i not use this coil then or am i using the wrong maths here?

I got the baby beast with the alien, and it comes with a 0.4 and 0.15 coil. Unless im doing the wrong maths here, i cannot use that coil??
(sony vtc5a battery)

Last edited:
Guys I came across something that I still dont understand fully here.. @conanthewarrior you might be able to answer me on this? Anyone feel free to explain tho :p I understand now that the amps = volt / resistance. So when it shows 5.096V and the coil is 0.419ohm the amp is 12.16. This is at 55W. I cranked it up to 65W and then its 5.566v so 13.28 amp. How would I know what the voltage would be if I were to set the vape to 100? I would like to be able to calculate this BEFORE trying it and the display shows me. What do I do? :P

I dont know if im doing something wrong here, but if i take 8.4v as I have understood is the highest volt of both my batteries combined, and divide that by the resistance in a coil I havent used yet which is 0,15 ohm, its over 50 amps.. can i not use this coil then or am i using the wrong maths here?

I got the baby beast with the alien, and it comes with a 0.4 and 0.15 coil. Unless im doing the wrong maths here, i cannot use that coil??
(sony vtc5a battery)
Hi mate.

I have to be quick as I am popping out but will be on later- for a regulated mod please DON'T calculate at 8.4V! If you was using a series mechanical mod, then this is correct, but amp load is highest on your batteries at cut off with a regulated mod, not at full capacity like a mechanical mod.
A lot of people make this error, and I believe it is due to where mechs were once the only way to vape at higher wattages, and Ohms law was really drilled in for safety. This carried over to regulated mods but it is an error. (At least on the input stage, on the output stage you can calculate as you always have, this is what most mods displays show but it is NOT the amp load on the batteries, it is what is hitting your atomiser).

This is due to the way a regulated mod actually works to supply your set power, in watts. It pulls more amps to the board, which then does its 'magic' to convert to your requested voltage and watts. (Remember it isn't magic, it is a DC-DC converter in most cases, but magic sounds better :p).

Take this calculation for example, of 50W.

At 8.4V, 50/8.4= 5.95A. At 6.2V, 50/6.2=8.06A. This is before efficiency, but you can see how amp load is higher at a lower voltage, the board has to compensate someway for the drop in voltage and does this by drawing more amps to supply what you want.

To calculate BEFORE the board, you use the calculation I provided. To calculate AFTER, you use the standard ohms law calculations. The one that is taxing your batteries is the input, pre board calculation though.

I will go more in depth if needed when I am back but I hope that makes sense for now.

I hope this helps.

(Edited for Clarity).

Last edited:
Sorry I had to answer quickly earlier.

@Yoda vapes , you mention wanting to build under 0.2, is this regulated? If so, you can do so safely with a regulated mod. The way they work is how you can build 0.06 TC builds without the batteries exploding on you, let alone even getting warm.

All that matters with a regulated mod is the set watts, and minimum voltage when it comes to your batteries. Think of it as two different circuits, this is what I find easiest. One that is the actual amp load on your batteries, at the input stage, and one that is at the output, which is what hits your atomiser after the board has done its conversions.

The VTC5A tests out as a good 25A battery according to Mooch, so is a pretty good cell if you can get your hands on the genuine article, and will be suited to high power vaping.

Here is an explanation by Mooch (Who is highly regarded in the community with his tests on batteries), explaining how to calculate current draw on a regulated mod. He is a bit better at explaining things than me, but the reason resistance does not matter is because your atomiser is not connected straight to the battery- it is connected to the output of the board/regulator.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...attery-current-draw-for-a-regulated-mod.7532/

It is how mods like the DNA 200 have a fuse that blows at 25A on the input side, and the input should be at a maximum of 23A hence the 25A fuse, but can output a burst of 55A.

In this article, he splits the batteries in his explanation, I find it quicker to not do this though, the results turn out exactly the same, and I recommend everyone to try for themselves though to make sure the calculations work out as I have.

EDIT: To make things clearer, he splits the battery so for a 150W mod, it is 75W at 3.2V.

So, 75/3.2=23.43A.

I double this, so 150W at 6.4V.

150/6.4=23.43A. Exactly the same. I just find it quicker to calculate using the batteries voltage in series, although as you can see either way will give you the same result.

Last edited:
Gonna crash out soon but if the calculator don't help you I would need more details on what core is clapton and wrap size. Size of your ID of coil ect. Single coil I presume?
Idk mate what wire etc i want to use. Making clapton seems easy enough using a drill and a spinning hook. The rda will sumtin like a russian 91% http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kayfun-3-0-...%3A778be2331580a34fcc5cecb6fff57c7e%7Ciid%3A2 i want to start small on a mvp 20 watt tho something like a single clapton thats above ohm ideally 1.8ohms. What two wires do i need and how many wraps also the diameter of the screw driver or an drill bit. I find the calculators online are a bit too advance. Ive seen some manufacturers like herakles etc have 1.8ohm stock coils which can be fired at 50watts ??? I assume thats dependant on thickness of the wire right. I want a coil that has a watt range from 10 watts - 20 watts max too. PM me yoda i dont want to high jack another persons thread lol

Yes @conanthewarrior, not ready for the word of direct power just yet though one day I will want to. Still reading up on all that yet and a lot to understand before I venture into the realm of mech mods lol.

Got the RX 2/3 on way with the limitless Classic RDTA, then my fun will start lol. Not saying I'm going to run coils that low all the time but I find that level of building a hobby. Sitting there over the evening doing a build just to say I done one if you get me? I'm still building in the kanthal range ATM but will do some TC builds in time.
My batteries will prob come from fogstar as recommend to me by a fellow ape

Yes @conanthewarrior, not ready for the word of direct power just yet though one day I will want to. Still reading up on all that yet and a lot to understand before I venture into the realm of mech mods lol.

Got the RX 2/3 on way with the limitless Classic RDTA, then my fun will start lol. Not saying I'm going to run coils that low all the time but I find that level of building a hobby. Sitting there over the evening doing a build just to say I done one if you get me? I'm still building in the kanthal range ATM but will do some TC builds in time.
My batteries will prob come from fogstar as recommend to me by a fellow ape
That is sensible, I used and collected regulated mods for a long time before I even thought about my first mech! And when I did get round to getting one, I still vape regulated most of the time- I don't really like the way you can feel the power dropping during the discharge of the battery, and also how early you have to pull the battery.
I imagine if I vaped on a mech alone I would use about 10 batteries a day lol!.

The RX2/3 is a nice mod for the money, I use it mostly in dual 18650 mode as I find it a nice size like that, and have the standard RX200 and the DNA version for triple 18650 config. You will benefit from a longer run time and also more power to play with though if you use 3 batteries.

I completely understand not building that low- I don't build that low myself, I only did when NI200 was the big thing and all builds turned out really low. Now I mainly use SS for temp control I usually end up around 0.25 with dual coils.
Also I know where you are coming from doing a build just so you have done one, soon enough though it will be normal to you and you will be making coils, and recoiling in no time at all.

I haven't actually ordered batteries from Ben myself, but he is very highly regarded on here and does sell batteries for a fantastic price, so it does seem a good idea to get them from Fogstar. When I need to order some new batteries I will likely order from him too.

That is sensible, I used and collected regulated mods for a long time before I even thought about my first mech! And when I did get round to getting one, I still vape regulated most of the time- I don't really like the way you can feel the power dropping during the discharge of the battery, and also how early you have to pull the battery.
I imagine if I vaped on a mech alone I would use about 10 batteries a day lol!.

The RX2/3 is a nice mod for the money, I use it mostly in dual 18650 mode as I find it a nice size like that, and have the standard RX200 and the DNA version for triple 18650 config. You will benefit from a longer run time and also more power to play with though if you use 3 batteries.

I completely understand not building that low- I don't build that low myself, I only did when NI200 was the big thing and all builds turned out really low. Now I mainly use SS for temp control I usually end up around 0.25 with dual coils.
Also I know where you are coming from doing a build just so you have done one, soon enough though it will be normal to you and you will be making coils, and recoiling in no time at all.

I haven't actually ordered batteries from Ben myself, but he is very highly regarded on here and does sell batteries for a fantastic price, so it does seem a good idea to get them from Fogstar. When I need to order some new batteries I will likely order from him too.

Thanks for that feed back, and really looking forward to my new kit getting here, will be such a different set up to my sigeili 75w TC with the doge3 lol
I pretty much max that device on 60w and still not getting the best from my RDA, looking forward to the pre heat too

Thanks for that feed back, and really looking forward to my new kit getting here, will be such a different set up to my sigeili 75w TC with the doge3 lol
I pretty much max that device on 60w and still not getting the best from my RDA, looking forward to the pre heat too
Ahh, I have the Sigelei 75W TC in my collection!

Mine has a very annoying issue though that seemed to be a problem with many- the battery life. I can put in a fresh battery, and within say half hour, the battery bar will display just under full, but when I fire sag so much the battery drops down to empty!
It has been like this since I got it, and it was only my third mod if I remember correctly, so at the time I thought it was normal as a TC mod.
Unfortunately, I was wrong, does yours have any battery life issues? As I actually like the look of the mod, it just hardly ever gets used as realistically I can only use it at around 25W maximum, and even then the battery life is not great.

I have a Doge, I think mine might be the V2 though and not the V3.

You will definitely get a better vape if you want to use it around 60W with the RX 2/3 in either dual or triple 18650 set up vs the Sigelei 75W. You will also be putting a lot less strain on your batteries, less with 3 batteries but still perfectly safe with 2.

What batteries do you plan on using? As if you are not planning on vaping at very, very high power, some of the 3000MAH, 20A CDR batteries will give you fantastic battery life :).

Yes I have exactly the same issue but only when firing etc, full battery I use 40 W then when I feel my vape weaken I then pump up the watts to 50 using a 0.25 coil.

I got the v3 doge, good RDTA but a pain when out to keep juicing up hence I getting the classic limitless as then can use the tank with side fill.

Will be getting the VTC5A's x6, IUO that this will give a good battery life as a tri cell and also cover a low ohm build when I want to?
Also been told they 35A even though it is not stated there on websites etc. just what been told from experienced vaper.

Yea will have 2x tri married sets of cells if you get me

Back
Top Bottom