What's new

Vaping 'no better' than smoking regular cigarettes

Its ok say bullshit, but why would the independent publish this? its not exactly "the star" newspaper

Sadly good journalism in regard to vaping is very rare, most articles being nothing more than copy and pasting press releases.

This independent headline suggests that a study has found that vaping is just as bad as smoking. In reality it showed the opposite.

Petri dishes of human cells, those found in the mouth and lungs, were exposed to an extract of vape every three days for eight weeks. At the end of that time it was found that some of the cells had died. Hence "vaping bad". However what didn't get reported was that they also treated cells with tobacco smoke and all those cells died within 24 hours!!

So to recap, ONE dose of tobacco smoke killed all cells within 24 hours, whilst over EIGHTEEN doses of vape extract killed SOME cells after EIGHT weeks.

Here is Professor Linda Bauld writing about this study in the guardian.

Hope this reassures you.

Scare tactics yet again,what a crock of utter shite,no doubt another attempt at getting people to carry on smoking the stinkies whilst lining the pockets of the already rich...Feckers..

Sadly good journalism in regard to vaping is very rare, most articles being nothing more than copy and pasting press releases.

This independent headline suggests that a study has found that vaping is just as bad as smoking. In reality it showed the opposite.

Petri dishes of human cells, those found in the mouth and lungs, were exposed to an extract of vape every three days for eight weeks. At the end of that time it was found that some of the cells had died. Hence "vaping bad". However what didn't get reported was that they also treated cells with tobacco smoke and all those cells died within 24 hours!!

So to recap, ONE dose of tobacco smoke killed all cells within 24 hours, whilst over EIGHTEEN doses of vape extract killed SOME cells after EIGHT weeks.

Hope this reassures you.
Nice summary ;)

The short answer is that no research that comes out of California or New York can be trusted. These states, among others, are in hock to the tobacco companies, having borrowed extensively on the basis of future income from commission on cigarette sales. That income has been drastically reduced by vaping, so they need to find a way to get people smoking again.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't an atheist, it would be very satisfying to think that Karma would get these people.

Hope this reassures you.

Well extracted mate, getting fed up with everyone telling me how bad vaping is for me.

Too many people believing all the rubbish that's coming out. Just reading the tag lines and not the full story.

I believe in what PHE( public health England) has said,vaping is 95% safer than smoking

Newspapers are not an authority on these matters so take what they write with a pinch of salt

I no longer read mainstream media or newspapers.

They only print what they want you to see, and twist things terribly. Also, they leave out real news in Favour of a celebrities new breasts for example.

I was a bit upset, as I like Motorhead-I didn't find out till 3 days after his death that Lemmy had died. David Bowie my mum told me on the day.(I know that is contradictory in a way, but I feel a death of a band frontman that shaped a genre and culture is a bit more important than someones boobs)

But, like @arewethereyet , I am believing the PHE and not MSM.

Last edited:
The short answer is that no research that comes out of California or New York can be trusted. These states, among others, are in hock to the tobacco companies, having borrowed extensively on the basis of future income from commission on cigarette sales. That income has been drastically reduced by vaping, so they need to find a way to get people smoking again.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't an atheist, it would be very satisfying to think that Karma would get these people.

The 'science' for these studies are based on an exaggeration of the truth, that exploits a US tax break. :)
They base the results on the nasties 'contained' in eliquid. (The ones that aren't actually there)
In a lot of US states tobacco tax is LOW. In eliquid there are, at NEGLIGABLE or TRACE levels, some of the nasties contained it burning tobacco (the same things are in some foods at higher, but still 'non harmful" levels) BUT, by saying they're present in eliquids, and marking the bottles with the apropriate warnings, they can exploit the lower taxation band offered to 'tobacco products' so increasing profit.
The studies just use the assumption they're in there. QED. :))

Back
Top Bottom