What's new

Should we be encouraging this?

I don't think the users are who needs to be pressured, it's the manufacturers IMHO.
And to do that it needs to start at the sellers and pushers

Last edited:
I appreciate they are different environmental problems and think that there is understandable concern around pods and their single use nature but I think to ignore the fact that someone may choose to carry on smoking and still continue to pollute the environment that way isn't helpful. I think as vapers in general on here we get so fixed on pods when they are useful for people to quit smoking and we forget other areas as well. I've seen loads of discussions about how bad pods and disposables are but where's the discussion around why 10ml bottles come in a box? Why are we still getting vape gear packaged with plastic inserts and all manner of wasted plastic and card or paper? Why aren't we encouraging recycling of all vape devices, no one ever points out that if you have a lipo device the recycle it properly when the battery fails. We should also point these things out as well to be consistent in our environmental standpoint.

"where's the discussion around why 10ml bottles come in a box?"

There was a lot of discussion about it at the time, most of the packaging for the small liquid bottles is because of the TPD. But I don't see cardboard anything like the same as plastics. Before that the vast majority of liquids were sold in glass bottles. There was also a lot of discussion about how much more plastic waste the 10ml bottle rules would create. People don't don't talk about it now because we lost.

"Why are we still getting vape gear packaged with plastic inserts and all manner of wasted plastic and card or paper?"

As you know some companies have moved away from plastic inserts like Innokin, even their coils come in paper. Again I think there is a big difference between cardboard that can easily be recycled and made from recycled card and single use plastic. But yeah less packaging is better obviously.

"Why aren't we encouraging recycling of all vape devices, no one ever points out that if you have a lipo device the recycle it properly when the battery fails"

Because a lipo mod will usually last a couple of years, not a couple of days. It's not the same is it? I think we would encourage everyone to recycle everything they can. I don't see it as such a pressing matter.

"We should also point these things out as well to be consistent in our environmental standpoint."

I'm not too fussed about it, go and talk to Greta... I do what I can and I hope others do what they can .. I'm more concerned about the negative effect it's having on vaping right now.

Personally - i see no place where a fully disposable one time use pod system is a good thing

i think its a blight on the entire industry - and is bad for both end users and manufacturers and vendors.

every day i talk to wholesalers and other manufacturers and industry guys. And all are negatively affected by this. Even the label printers we use said they are being affected negatively by it.

It's so fucking obvious what's going to happen if this carries on, I'm sick of talking about it. So I'm done.... less talk more rock! ;)

I get that they are better than disposable vapes, but is there a reason why the pods can't be designed to just pop the exact same coil out and replace it with a new one, and top up with the exact same juice ?

Trust me to hit on a touchy subject.. but I was watching someone vaping away on their pod, then they pulled out the pod and threw it in the bin, then getting a new pod out of a massively oversized plastic package and throwing that away too, it just got me to thinking that this is just wrong, but the bit I am really questioning is the need for this? convenience is obviously one of them, and I can see that it is easier but surely the same coils and the same juice would negate the waste and wouldn't be that much harder? and yes anything is better than fags.

it’s convenience. it is used as a selling point because a lot of people can’t be arsed and will select the option that they perceive as presenting less hassle for them. it’s a bit like the plastic packets of sliced apple they sell in supermarkets. for some folk eating an apple as it comes must be too much effort. :)

If it gets you off the fags that's the main thing and I imagine newbies are likely to move on from disposables. That said manufacturers could be doing more to reduce wastage , so could a certain supplier of 10ml eliquid bottles that each come in a minature whisky package. The dreaded TPD hasn't helped either.

Obv the less waste the better. And the TPD hasn't helped.

But if you're looking to decrease environmental damage caused by vaping, I would have thought that low haning fruit like disposable battery vapes, and mods that are designed to last 6 months are the place to start.

Are people forgetting the Ego/CE4 kits that many started vaping on. Disposable cartridges (unless you had the eyesight of a sewer rat & could recoil/rewick the dam things) & the Ego battery, sealed unit that once it died was binned. Vaping styles keep going full circle, just the production materials have changed.

Are people forgetting the Ego/CE4 kits that many started vaping on. Disposable cartridges (unless you had the eyesight of a sewer rat & could recoil/rewick the dam things) & the Ego battery, sealed unit that once it died was binned. Vaping styles keep going full circle, just the production materials have changed.

OMG I remember re-wicking those (They looked just like fags with glowing ends) You had to pop the filter style plastic cover off and with a magnifying glass take out the burnt cotton and try and ram in some organic cotton sheet stuff then soak it.. it could last for about 50 drags then burn the shit out of your lungs again.

Agreed - but that was at the start of it, we moved on. This is a backward step

Non replaceable coil pods are far from ideal but they aren't as wasteful as people make out, when you examine the construction of these pods they are far less complex to produce than a stock coil and I suspect much less manufacturing total energy needed.

It's difficult to quantify the waste, mixed materials etc. and obviously plastic is lighter than metal, without going too deep it's worth considering the carbon footprint of producing these materials and how or IF they are actually recycled or if they are made from recycled materials.

Empty 10ml bottle = 6g (including lid)
Smok ACRO fixed coil pod = 8g (including metal base & coil)
5 pack of EZ pod coils = 33g (including packaging)
IVG disposable vape = 21g (including battery)

Fully disposable vapes are the worst offender by far as that's once a day waste, in principle I totally agree that these are the worst way of vaping for the environment but equally I am not blinkered as to not see that they exist as a choice and offer the simplest way to vape.

If I was going to give myself a hard time of lobbing an 8g pod away every fortnight then I'm in for a world of pain as I go through all the other waste I produce, one look in my 'recycle' bin is enough let alone all the landfill in my wheelie bin, then all the rest of the carbon footprint to freak out about.

(for the record I only vape DIY coils and wicks other than review stuff)

Back
Top Bottom