What's new

photo's too large?

Cant you just save them as jpegs? Unless there already jpegs over 1mb
People post straight from their phones, it's not so much an issue on a pc or laptop. These days most phones have decent photo editing software though.

thx all, i view the forum on pc so the easiest way is to use photos on windows. view the pic in photos, click the 3 dots and hit resize and lower the pixels using the slider.

like so

Screenshot (34).png

To try and help people understand what difference it makes, the file size of that Del Boy photo I uploaded was 27Kb. A typical photo from a phone is around 2 MB. That is in the region of about 75 times larger file size.

As I often feel like an IT moron, I’m not really sure if what I do is within the 1mb limit :hmm:

Ever since the old days on FastTech, I’ve uploaded my pics to Imgur, and taken my gifs from GIPHY… I’ve always assumed that because it’s a link, it is therefore a very small file size for the servers :11:

Am I wrong in my assumption (making an ass out of me and me)? :18:

As I often feel like an IT moron, I’m not really sure if what I do is within the 1mb limit :hmm:

Ever since the old days on FastTech, I’ve uploaded my pics to Imgur, and taken my gifs from GIPHY… I’ve always assumed that because it’s a link, it is therefore a very small file size for the servers :11:

Am I wrong in my assumption (making an ass out of me and me)? :18:

I use Imgur and Giphy too. Even before the limit my photos were usually too big to attach to posts and I'm too lazy to resize.

Pretty sure if you just enter a url they hotlink it, so no file size concerns.

The DPI doesn't come into web display, it just does the pixel thing regardless. That's more for when you're printing.

A 1mb limit is quite restrictive, but I guess there are a shitload of photos on here, I've probably uploaded half a gig of stuff myself over the years. Just pics of atties and stuff. :ape:

I'm surprised that there isn't a native way to resize an image in android, when you think of all the crazy shit you can, but rarely want to do - retouching, hue / sat, etc. FWIW these apps come recommended on SE: https://android.stackexchange.com/a/162967

DPI resolution is very important and is a big part of the reason why two different photos that may look exactly the same on screen have such wildly different file sizes. You see the difference in how long some photos take to load.

I'd have thought the forum software should be able to handle resizing images when they are uploaded?

Back
Top Bottom