What's new

Advice on RTA and Smok RBA

Azzy_M

Postman
Afternoon all,

Hope everyone is keeping well!

So i'm new in the sense I've not been vaping for a few years, but i'm trying to cut down on smoking shisha so decided to give vaping another go. I'm currently running a Smok G Priv kit with a TFV8 Cloud Beast tank, and although i'm fairly happy with the vapour production, I find the flavour doesn't tend to last much longer than a week or so.

Considering the price of replacement coils, and the rate at which i'm going through them, I've decided to go down the RBA route. The TFV8 came with an RBA deck, so I reckon that's a decent enough starting point, but I want to run a couple of tanks so I can switch up the flavours.

I've got a spare TFV12 Cloud Beast King tank still in the box, but it doesn't come with an RBA deck, so my dilemma is do I go down the route of getting a specific RBA deck for the TFV12 as well, or are there alternative RTAs which people would recommend?

I'm currently using V8-T8 coils which are rated best at 120-180 watts, and even though I tend to keep it at the lower end of that range, it drinks like a fish. So if someone could share their thoughts on something which could still chuck respectable clouds, but improve the flavour longevity as well, that would be braw! :thumbup:

Stay safe,
Azzy.

Not my vaping style I’m afraid, so I can’t help recommend a suitable rta. I would definitely go with an actual rta though, over an rba for a stock coil tank. In my (quite limited) experience, they’re just easier, you have more space and a proper built-in deck to work with, if that makes sense.

Agree with Leni about getting a dedicated RTA. RBA decks rarely perform as well and are usually more fiddly. Can't advise as I'm MTL as well.

Hi @Azzy_M, as the guys above said, a dedicated RTA is a better option for performance and building ability BUT, like you, I do try to purchase RBA decks for my stock coil tanks.
I go down this route to allow me the option of being able to build on the RBA when I wish if I'm waiting for stock coils or fancy a change for the reason of saving money on stock coils and also, further down the line when the tank gets older, if you can no longer get the coils, you can always keep the tank going by using the RBA deck for it.
The argument against this may be if the tank is old then buy a newer nicer better one which I would agree with but I do like to keep all options open.
One example is my old Kanger sub tank mini. Coils not as easy to come by, but I use the RBA deck with it as I still love the tank. Eeekks out the stock coils too.

Not my vaping style I’m afraid, so I can’t help recommend a suitable rta. I would definitely go with an actual rta though, over an rba for a stock coil tank. In my (quite limited) experience, they’re just easier, you have more space and a proper built-in deck to work with, if that makes sense.

Agree with Leni about getting a dedicated RTA. RBA decks rarely perform as well and are usually more fiddly. Can't advise as I'm MTL as well.

Thanks for the feedback @Leni and @rew - I understand this may not be compatible with your vaping style, but I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Perhaps I've posted this in the wrong sub-section; might try sticking it in the Rebuildable Mods and Devices section for more specific advice.

Thanks again guys.

Hi @Azzy_M, as the guys above said, a dedicated RTA is a better option for performance and building ability BUT, like you, I do try to purchase RBA decks for my stock coil tanks.
I go down this route to allow me the option of being able to build on the RBA when I wish if I'm waiting for stock coils or fancy a change for the reason of saving money on stock coils and also, further down the line when the tank gets older, if you can no longer get the coils, you can always keep the tank going by using the RBA deck for it.
The argument against this may be if the tank is old then buy a newer nicer better one which I would agree with but I do like to keep all options open.
One example is my old Kanger sub tank mini. Coils not as easy to come by, but I use the RBA deck with it as I still love the tank. Eeekks out the stock coils too.

Hit the nail on the head there @Richard Winter - I feel like it would almost be a waste if I had the tank but stopped using it because the coils were too expensive to constantly replace.

On the other hand, I don't want to stick with a tank for the sake of saving a few quid, and end up with a sub-par vaping experience. Hence the dilemma.. :confused:

Hit the nail on the head there @Richard Winter - I feel like it would almost be a waste if I had the tank but stopped using it because the coils were too expensive to constantly replace.

On the other hand, I don't want to stick with a tank for the sake of saving a few quid, and end up with a sub-par vaping experience. Hence the dilemma.. :confused:
Just got one of these 2 days ago and it's a good little tank and cheap

https://ecigone.co.uk/products/advken-manta-rta-resin-version?variant=32139317379117

Some very good RTAs out there so I would suggest getting one or two but I would also suggest for the tanks that you like, if theres RBAs available, I would get them too lol.
I quite often get some of the old stuff out and vape on them and really enjoy it. Yes not always the best vaping experience but hey, I dont mind as I alternate between tanks and mods a lot anyway.
Also sometimes I cant be asked to build so it's nice to just chuck a stock coil in, other times I'm in the mood for a bit of fiddling and see how good I can build on them little bloody fiddly decks.

I agree with all the comments posted. A good dedicated RTA will give you so much better flavour and be cheaper to run. A word of warning though, in my experience RTA coils don't last as long as stock coils, especially if you vape sweet juices. And there is a learning curve that has to be overcome before you can build a coil and wick the RTA reliably.

Some very good RTAs out there so I would suggest getting one or two but I would also suggest for the tanks that you like, if theres RBAs available, I would get them too lol.
I quite often get some of the old stuff out and vape on them and really enjoy it. Yes not always the best vaping experience but hey, I dont mind as I alternate between tanks and mods a lot anyway.
Also sometimes I cant be asked to build so it's nice to just chuck a stock coil in, other times I'm in the mood for a bit of fiddling and see how good I can build on them little bloody fiddly decks.

Lol I like how the solution to the dilemma is just buy both options! It's difficult to say no tbh, but i'm trying to be sensible just now and slowly build up my collection over time. I guess I want the best of both worlds i.e. cost saving of RBA deck for an existing tank, but with the performance of a dedicated RTA.

Back
Top Bottom