What's new

Coils, ohms, safety etc.

Puffed Daddy

Achiever
Hello all.
Wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but guess a "mod" will soon move it to the best place.

I'm only posting this, as I've had a few DMs during my time on here, and questions asked whilst helping out in my local vape shop.

Newbies ask quite often about coils, clouds, flavour, all the usual stuff, and which coils I use, ohm reading, size, etc.
Then ask me to make them some.

Firstly, I'm not a pro coil builder, I started making my own Clapton wire, because of the cost & sometimes, quality of claptons/aliens I'd bought, were in my opinion, sub standard.

Just a few things to remember, before plunging into making your own wire, or, just wrapping coils from pre-made Clapton wire.

If using a regulated, you won't need to be as worried about your ohms reading, as if it's far too low, in most cases, it'll be safe enough, as your mod won't fire, or will warn you "ohms too low"

However, mechanical mods, you need to be careful.

I'm sure there are plenty of posts, somewhere on here about all this, but worth saying.

You need to build to the safe parameters of your battery.
Start with a higher ohms reading, 0.25-30 before you start hankering for super fast ramp up and 0.12 ohm builds.
Remember, a single coil will read twice the ohms of a dual coil.
Do don't buy 0.15 pre made Aliens, and chuck em in a dual atty, you'll get 0.07 and you don't want that.

Never use old or damaged batteries.
If buying a mech, go the 21700 route.
Ask advice from more experienced vapers.
Read up or go online, to check ohms law, watch videos, etc.

I'm not being horrible by refusing to make coils for those who've asked, I only make coils for my own use, and for a few friends local to me.

Just read up, check out, ask questions, but most of all be safe when venturing into the Mech world.

Cheers.

A.

Hello all.
Wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but guess a "mod" will soon move it to the best place.

I'm only posting this, as I've had a few DMs during my time on here, and questions asked whilst helping out in my local vape shop.

Newbies ask quite often about coils, clouds, flavour, all the usual stuff, and which coils I use, ohm reading, size, etc.
Then ask me to make them some.

Firstly, I'm not a pro coil builder, I started making my own Clapton wire, because of the cost & sometimes, quality of claptons/aliens I'd bought, were in my opinion, sub standard.

Just a few things to remember, before plunging into making your own wire, or, just wrapping coils from pre-made Clapton wire.

If using a regulated, you won't need to be as worried about your ohms reading, as if it's far too low, in most cases, it'll be safe enough, as your mod won't fire, or will warn you "ohms too low"

However, mechanical mods, you need to be careful.

I'm sure there are plenty of posts, somewhere on here about all this, but worth saying.

You need to build to the safe parameters of your battery.
Start with a higher ohms reading, 0.25-30 before you start hankering for super fast ramp up and 0.12 ohm builds.
Remember, a single coil will read twice the ohms of a dual coil.
Do don't buy 0.15 pre made Aliens, and chuck em in a dual atty, you'll get 0.07 and you don't want that.

Never use old or damaged batteries.
If buying a mech, go the 21700 route.
Ask advice from more experienced vapers.
Read up or go online, to check ohms law, watch videos, etc.

I'm not being horrible by refusing to make coils for those who've asked, I only make coils for my own use, and for a few friends local to me.

Just read up, check out, ask questions, but most of all be safe when venturing into the Mech world.

Cheers.

A.

Maintenance - Essential to keep your mod running as it should. Clean before first use and regularly

Never put a mech in your pocket without making sure the fire button is locked... happened to me once on the king mech mod I think it was, was in Debenhams at the til years ago buying the Mrs the birthday present when my crotch started vaping lol

Never put a mech in your pocket without making sure the fire button is locked... happened to me once on the king mech mod I think it was, was in Debenhams at the til years ago buying the Mrs the birthday present when my crotch started vaping lol
Seen that happen too, not good.
Think nowadays, most of the newer mechs have more solid fire buttons, I have loads of newish mechs, and no worries of a phantom firing!
Good advice though, 100 watts in your groin is not to be advised....:18:

Seen that happen too, not good.
Think nowadays, most of the newer mechs have more solid fire buttons, I have loads of newish mechs, and no worries of a phantom firing!
Good advice though, 100 watts in your groin is not to be advised....:18:

haha yeah if I remember right the King had a locking ring. I either didn't lock it off properly or it came unlocked in my pocket and turned into a crotch rocket. Luckily the girl behind the counter found it funny that my pants had a load of vapour coming out of them. I on the other hand was beetroot red with hot balls haha

haha yeah if I remember right the King had a locking ring. I either didn't lock it off properly or it came unlocked in my pocket and turned into a crotch rocket. Luckily the girl behind the counter found it funny that my pants had a load of vapour coming out of them. I on the other hand was beetroot red with hot balls haha
great-balls-of-fire.jpg

At least you have your own theme tune!!

Back
Top Bottom