What's new

Don't think vaping is for me

olddude

Initiate
Hi i stopped smoking and started vaping 50/50 licquids and after a few days got an uncontrollable cough and had to go to the doctors for med and started smoking again.

After a few weeks i thought try again after someone told me to try 100%VG so i got some with no nicotine, but when i vape it i go light headed all day plus if i try to enale even a small amount i start coughing.

I do want to vape but just need to get the right advice or perhaps my body just hates the stuff.

PS my wife has had no problems at all

It makes perfect sense to me that vaping doesn't suit everyone and maybe it's just not for you.
However, it needn't be an all or nothing thing. Nowt wrong with smoking and vaping, a bit of each. Time spent vaping isn't time spent smoking, so it's still a win win.

Maybe it is the make of eliquid you are using.

I have noticed one particular liquid seems to make me cough.
Have tried quite a few brands, flavours along the way, some bad, some good, but this one just seems to make me cough.

Just a thought :doh:

I'd speak to your doctor again.

It may just be that your lungs are just clearing the shit out now that you're trying to go off the fags. I was a 20-a-day smoker and, when I quit, I had a few days where I had a phlegmy cough before that eventually subsided.

Some people are sensitive to PG, but for the reasons above, this may not be your issue. I wouldn't start with a 100%VG juice if you can avoid it because the vapour production will be huge (high VG liquids can make me cough on occasion even now) and you'll be needing higher-end hardware to vape it, which requires more knowledge and experience on your part to be operated safely.

P.S. I also wouldn't start with a 0mg juice, as you will be getting nicotine cravings and won't find vaping satisfying. I started on 18mg and, again, I was a 20-a-day smoker. This was a little harsh and I dropped to 12mg after a week or so. 12mg can still be a little harsh on the throat depending on the flavour (e.g. strong lemon or lime flavours).

I thought a harsh cough was fairly common when you first switch, I certainly had one for a good month or so. One thing that I did find very helpful was investigating how to vape as I had assumed you just treat it like a cigarette but that wasn't quite right. I googled 'how to vape properly' and found a great little blue g post by vapebitch. That introduced me to the idea of clambering so my lungs got the break they needed and the cough went away shortly after. Might be worth a look for you too

I wonder if it was the VG of the 50/50 juice that bothered you then. Might be worth trying an 80/20 PG/VG juice. What equipment were you using? Perhaps vaping isn't for you but if you want to see if the problems you have had can be explained and worked through, maybe it would be worth letting the Apes guide you a bit. Whatever suits you, of course.

Remember that nicotine does suppress a cough (used to be the remedy for a cough in ye olden times) so jumping on a zero nic juice would likely result in a fair amount of coughing as your mucous linings in your airways start to become more responsive. I'd imagine that just starting out a higher nic juice would be more likely to help with the craving. My first 2 months or so using decent kit I had an awful cough and several bouts of bronchitis but they may also been working kiddies in paediatrics during the winter months and unrelated to vaping. I agree that some people just don't get on with vaping but things are always changing and getting better. I didn't get on with cigalikes several years ago so put vaping on a back burner and when I returned to it in the age of vv devices and decent clearomisers I managed to quit straight away.

P.S. I also wouldn't start with a 0mg juice, as you will be getting nicotine cravings and won't find vaping satisfying. I started on 18mg and, again, I was a 20-a-day smoker. This was a little harsh and I dropped to 12mg after a week or so. 12mg can still be a little harsh on the throat depending on the flavour (e.g. strong lemon or lime flavours).

No i wont get any cravings because i am still smoking. Just wanted to see if i could vape.

I wonder if it was the VG of the 50/50 juice that bothered you then. Might be worth trying an 80/20 PG/VG juice. What equipment were you using? Perhaps vaping isn't for you but if you want to see if the problems you have had can be explained and worked through, maybe it would be worth letting the Apes guide you a bit. Whatever suits you, of course.

Hi i have an MVP 3.0 Pro and Aspire Nautilus Mini BVC

Back
Top Bottom