What's new

How do other people react when they see you Vape - Are you embarrassed?

AndyC1971

Veteran
I would love to get peoples views and opinions on this topic.

Yesterday, was the first day that I used my new best friend properly, and as I had lots of things to do and some research, (Sorry, that post is to come!) I chose to take Vicki the Vamo out. (Sad, I know that 'she' is named, but I do feel that you have to have a personal bond, and be on first name terms with anything that you put in your mouth, drunken nights out excluded!)

I ventured out, and picked up a good mate, and followed the burnt out cars to get into the town centre. Now being of quite a confident nature (Only on the outside), I thought I would guage peoples reactions to the art of vaping. Up until now, the most awkward situation that has been bestowed on me, was entering my local Tescos, and having to purchase a shopping list which consisted of, 1 x Large Cucumber, 1 x Bottle of Lube, 1 x Banana, 1 x Tub of Vaseline and 1 x packet of condoms, and not being allowed to use the self checkout, whilst having to pretend that I had tourettes. Why I enter into these stupid bets, I dont know, something me and my Probation officer have discussed on several occasions with no resolution, since the incident with the German lap dancer, when I thought 'Nein', meant the amount of times I could touch her. Anyway, I digress, apologies.

I had conducted the business that I needed to do, and if your town is anything like mine, it is full of Charity shops, Mobile Phone shops and Coffee houses, we decided to reward ourselves and frequent Costa, and after arguing with my mate, who was supposed to be paying, I sat down and waited for my friend to sit down. It was at this moment, that I reached down, and pulled Vicki out of my coat pocket.

Now I could see the horror and shock on some peoples faces, so I had checked to make sure, that my 'man bits' (called Jon, if anyone was wondering, (mouths and all that!)) had not flopped out, without me noticing, another frequent conversation me and the Probation officer, he just doesnt believe me when I tell him, Jon is clever and undoes my flies all by himself!) So you can imagine my relief when he was fully covered and fast asleep. I then continued to switch it on, and by the time I made that 5th click, I could see the panic on the faces of what at first seemed a really nice couple.

Now, I decided to break my bail conditions, and explain to this couple that the contraption that I was intending to use, was actually an electronic cigarette, and it was perfectly legal, and did not constitute any threat to them of passive smoking. This must of got lost in translation from leaving my mouth and entering their ears, because as I was taking a drag, I heard the mutterings of 'taking drugs, in a coffee shop whatever next'. I put this down to ignorance, and whilst I felt a little embarrassed, I have done worse things, right?!

Oh, how wrong was I, upon leaving the establishment, this couple decided to speak to the manager and was looking and pointing, but I did chuckle to myself, as I saw he had the Daily Mail tucked under his arm. Whilst I took another drag, and was discussing the merits to my mate, and trying to convert him, using the same tatics as a rabid Jehovahs Witness, when this manager who was young enough to be my son, came storming over and asked me 'what the hell did I think, I was doing?' I tried to explain nicely what it was, and if he did not want me to use it, I would refrain. Now to any normal human being, surely this would be enough, but I can only assume the lack of brain cells, coupled with Costa management training, section 4. 'How to try and 'belittle & ridicule' a customer', the mumblings were about taking drugs. At this point I really had enough, and explained that did he really think I was taking drugs, and not to call me 'sonny' as I have what looks like a badger on my head (Grey), and I was old enough to be his father.

I decided to leave, and did have a good laugh to my mate, as I pointed at the fire extinguisher on the wall, and said, that will I will upgrade to that in a few weeks. Upon leaving, I felt a little disgruntled and embarrassed, but that cant be the view of everyone could it?? I then decided to do my good deed for the day, and take my mate to his kids infant school, to pick his little 'un up, who trust me is literally the 'sperm of the devil'. The real reason was to ogle up the 'yummy mummys' but again I digress.

Upon arriving at the school, that does resemble Colditz on a cold winters morning in 1943, my mate begged with me to behave, and after entering the playground (bail conditions broke again!), I think I blended in. Bored with waiting to hear the bell, I reached into my pocket and pulled Vicki out again, in her fine glory. As I took a drag, The horrified look on peoples faces were a picture. I know my dress sense is old fashioned, but there was no way I looked like Gary Glitter in his 70s glam rock era, but it must of looked like, I was going to start playing a tune on my silver flute to lure the children like the evil child catcher. At this point, I gave up, after a long hard glare from my mate, I put it back in my pocket, held my head in shame, and proceeded to drop them home.

When I got home, I reflected on the days events, and am really disappointed in peoples reactions to this. I did feel embarrassed and feel like I have been put in the same category as Murders and Rapists.

I have decided I am going back to Vaper Train to order a more discreet and portable one, for when I go out, but really why should I have to? Has others experienced these views??

That was an entertaining read to say the least :D I LOL'ed quite a few times!!

I don't vape, where I wouldn't smoke, however I have tested the boundries and vaped in pubs, a few times in Frankie and Bennys (with permission from management) and regularly so at Mecca and the Hip Bingo here in town. Pretty much everyone who knows me in town, knows I don't smoke and the longer I vape the more questions I get.

I refuse to vape on school property. This is years of being told to go OFF school property to smoke (as a student). My 4 year old is in Nursery and knows the No Smoking sign by heart and proudly skips by it every morning and squeals Mummy n Daddy dont smoke, THEY VAPE. Shocking that a 4 year old can understand the difference, but some adults simply can not. As when I had my 2 week relapse in August he would often point to my lavatube or EthelKing tin and ask me to use that instead ("It smells better." according to him :) )

I don't vape in shops, or where a lot of people are eating (the f&b thing was on a slow afternoon and we were off on our own). I also try not to vape when I am in a crowded space/area. Years again, of training. I was a very conscious smoker and did my best to avoid non smokers so as to not offend. I would often ask if it were ok if I could smoke, I do now with vaping. It's only polite (in my eyes)

I vape at Bingo, the one hall because mum and I sit the furthest away from every one. Plus the entire work force there knows who I am and we're on friendly terms. It helps that I can cite research names dates and other references with ease. Plus my American friendliness breaks the awkward boundary .. Some people must think its an "american" thing and just leave me to it ;) The other hall, they openly allow vaping and on a big money night when the place is packed,it feels like everyone is there with their cig a likes and egos and me with my biggest mod ever. We are conscious though of the vape and blow it down into our laps out of most likely... courtesy to those around us. I often pass a PoTV card over to someone whos asked me what I am using, or is heading out to the smoke shelter outside.

I have had the odd "Oi ave you got a light?" or the odd thuggish looking kid shouting at me to givem a fag when I wave my PV and say "Sorry mate I don't smoke." There is a bloke who walks up and down my street, big thick guy, thick skull too from the sounds of it and over the course of the last year he has stopped several feet away (afraid of my staffy) to ask if I can lend him a cig. He knows I dont smoke, but I think hes trying to flirt and to his disappointment every time, I am still with out a cig to give him.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, and was always a considerate smoker. My kids didnt know for years, that I smoked, because simply I never took them to work with me or to the pub. I never really thought of the ramifications of vaping in such taboo areas, until you highlighted it. Perhaps I am being a 'little' (Well a lot, I suppose!) over sensitive, and if I look at it the same as smoking, other than weird looks in the street, I should be fine. I think if I am honest, I was testing the boundaries, and with the current project I am looking at, I was seeing how others would respond.

Thanks KMS, for throwing me off my 'soap box' and making me see reason :adminpower::lol1:

:P Oh bollocks :rofl:

It's our nature to test the boundaries! If we don't someone else will and I dont think many people posses the flair you have for writing!

When i first started vaping, I wanted to vape every where because it "wasnt smoking" I didnt think about how it looked to other people, just that I got to do something INSIDE where they were forced by laws to go inside (rebel that I am ;) )

Every one is different though, I know many members who will vape where they want when they want and if are told no, they bugger off and take their custom some place else.

I dont venture to far out with my kit, at work Im ok, as everyone knows what it is, I take it in the car,I know the landlord at the local boozer many a year so he is sound about it, of course I get the odd comment in the pub....but a few wise words beginning with F soon end that...but not risked out and about shopping etc.....I can see me getting pointed out as a smoker....and well my language can be colourful when Im accosted so I play safe and leave it in the car...

But if I want a laugh I vape when putting petrol in the car...........it raises a few eyebrows....:grin2:

PS
The other gag I do is I have one of those slim ecig things that look like a cig...so if im in traffic I puff as much vape as I can...then when some one looks at me..I put the LED end on my tongue and put it down.....thats good for the shock factor....

Last edited:
But if I want a laugh I vape when putting petrol in the car...........it raises a few eyebrows....:grin2:

PS
The other gag I do is I have one of those slim ecig things that look like a cig...so if im in traffic I puff as much vape as I can...then when some one looks at me..I put the LED end on my tongue and put it down.....thats good for the shock factor....

You my friend, are awesome, a legend in the making. Off to get fuel, gotta try this one out!!

I didnt think of the ecigs, I am now gonna get one. :yourock:

Come on, more tips please :lol:

Lol..be prepared for some choice words thrown at you.......enjoy the fun...

It really depends where you are, I think. I've vaped at gigs and although it's never been a problem, had some people a lot younger than I (I'm 58) look at me like I'm about to summon up The Devil himself. Now this might be fair enough at a Justin Bieber concert but at a Metal festival? :flames:

I've been told I can and can't vape in the same pub by different bar staff (policy needed there folks!) but in some others, when I've asked if it's okay, the laid-back affirmative response has indicated "Why are you even bothering to ask? Of course, it's okay!".

It's still a very new thing to many and so will raise eyebrows. For me, life's too short to spend large chunks of it explaining what I'm doing, so I tend to vape where smoking is allowed, with the exceptions mentioned above.

I suppose it's different in the cities, I don't know but it'd be nice to vape somewhere where people are already vaping. I'm sure that time will come but I've not experienced it yet!

I get plenty of strange looks walking around vapeing on my lavatube with vision eternity atty on it, but usually just get people asking me what it is, or more often people that have a vague idea what an ecig is and want to know if they really work.

I make a point of asking in advance if I plan to vape indoors, I was happily vapeing away at the Olympics during the diving event, had a word with head of security as I entered the Olympic park and he gave me the go ahead. Only once have I been victimised for my ecig and that was by two police officers in their car while I was walking home in the pissing rain, first calling it a lethal weapon, then at the end deciding it must be a crack pipe before they fucked off.

Back
Top Bottom