What's new

Is vaping something non smokers should not do?

Vaping may have started out as a smoking cessation tool and still is.....but is that really all it is today, I think not

I think absolutely not too, it's more like a 'legal high' these days for a lot of people.... either kids blasting for a buzz or middle age women having a bit of fun on a hen night. No wonder all the cloud comp snap-back dudes have stopped vaping now, it's lost all it's edgy cool. 😂

I can only speak for what I see around me but I don't think there are many adult non-smokers starting a vaping habit. Most are teenage kids the others are what you might call 'occasional social vapers' ... middle aged women out on the lash for someone's birthday (they'll probably do sour shots as well as enjoy a fruity ice dispoable or two) ... and whatever the male equivalent of that is.
That's what I thought, I took it from the point of an adult as I'm not sure teens would be researching on a forum, they just go for it.

And taking @Rickster's point, vaping is the new digital smoking so of course I'd have been there as a teenager too. You have to look 25 nowadays to buy fags, I used to buy them in my school uniform with my dinner money.

If a non smoker asked my opinion on taking up vaping I`d advise them to get a decent second hand camera or a decent pair of walking boots, vaping is a money pit and going to get more expensive once you add in the shinyitis factor and coming tax.

I wouldn't advise anyone who doesn't smoke to take up vaping but it's up to them.
Absolutely, 'should' has no place in this, same as "Should people play tennis".

The question I guess is "Should people tell other people what they 'should' do", and I'd say no. Laws are formulated to tell us what we must not do, and legal contracts and social agreements made between people must be honoured if civilised society is going to work, those are the 'should's (and should-not's) that shou... err.. ought to be observed; but aside from that, 'should' is a non-thing and pretty much nobody else's business other than those you love and who love you.

Sadly though we live in a world where other people's business, even that of total strangers that never come within 100 miles of them is a favourite (and often, highly lucrative) hobby for many who would do the world a big favour by taking up train spotting or philately instead.

Last edited:
The more vaping is seen as 'recreational' rather than 'smoking cessation' the more I think we'll be in trouble.
I'd suggest that, in a perhaps conspiratorial-sounding tinfoil-hat way, this is what the omnipresent, scary "THEY" want us to be doing, i.e. bickering between ourselves about very specific issues like this and trying our best not to be noticed in case the things we enjoy are the next to be banned or taxed to the hilt.

What I reckon we really need to do is brush all this political chaff aside and get down to the nitty gritty of asserting that the government are temporarily appointed by the people to work on their behalf to enforce a framework of basic legislation on the absolutes (murder, theft, physical violence etc), raise reasonable taxes to pay for things that are best done on a national level and then bl**dy well keep their noses out of what private individuals want to do with the time and money they have, let alone what they say or think.

Fair enough if a political party electioneers on a ticket of "We want to tell you how to live, what you're allowed to say or even hold as an opinion and whether you're allowed to do things we suddenly decide might not be healthy" then let them campaign openly on that basis and see if they get elected.

I moved away from the first world specifically to get away from the gradually encroaching tentacles of the UK establishment and the burgeoning class of self-appointed moral arbiters (well, the cost of living and the weather were also factors...), I ended up spending a couple of years back there from 2017 and couldn't believe how much worse it had got.

The question I guess is "Should people tell other people what they 'should' do", and I'd say no.

it could also be “should people have an opinion aboht what they think other people should do”, to which the answer is probably “yes, if they want to”.

Is it? News to me. Dr Paul Newhouse gave his non smoking Alzheimer patients nicotine injections and patches, and none had withdrawal symptoms.

Actually I have long wondered if it's addicitive properties are over stated. To me it feels like the breathing and ritualistic aspects of smoking are as much a part of the addiction as nicotine itself. (Probably why vaping is such a good way of quitting, compared to patches and gums).

A case in point - when I started vaping, I vaped with 0mg nic. I didn't notice any significant withdrawl from cigarettes/nicotine. I only moved onto nic liquid because after 6 months of that, I tried one of my mate's vapes and... oh the throat hit was amazing... this is what my vape has been missing... and I stuck with it. But that doesn't take away from the fact that I went from smoking 30 a day for 20 years to 0 nic for 6 months, without the withdrawl.

However:

My tolerance of minor stimulants is pretty high I think. I am the kind of person who can have a coffee before bed and still nod straight off to sleep. But I am in the minority - most people are a lot more sensitive. I have friends who can't drink coffee after lunchtime because they won't be able to sleep that night.

Also, depsite the existance of studies like the one you mention, there are literally thousands of others, equally well regarded, that show how addictive it can be.

So in summary, I think it's fair to say that - yes, it is. But it's complicated.

Also, despite the existence of studies like the one you mention, there are literally thousands of others, equally well regarded, that show how addictive it can be.
All the papers i have seen, are associated with tobacco use. Remember, its legal for 12yo to buy patches. ;)

All the papers i have seen, are associated with tobacco use. Remember, its legal for 12yo to buy patches. ;)
Are you saying that nicotine, when not consumed via smoking tobacco, is not addictive?

Back
Top Bottom