What's new

Parliament Petition: Don’t ban flavoured e-liquids for e-cigarettes

In one of the numerous goverment responses, the only reference is to smokers wishing to quit, there is no mention of hobbyist vapers like me, I feel unrepresented, I`ve done the hard bit, packed in smoking, yet the collateral damage i.e. the flavours ban is going to affect me and just about every other forum member.

In one of the numerous goverment responses, the only reference is to smokers wishing to quit, there is no mention of hobbyist vapers like me, I feel unrepresented, I`ve done the hard bit, packed in smoking, yet the collateral damage i.e. the flavours ban is going to affect me and just about every other forum member.
The government are shortsighted and narrow minded. They continue to only focus on youth vaping and taxation. They don't understand that someone actually likes or enjoys vaping, it's only seen as a cessation tool and they still say it's a gateway for youths to start smoking or moving onto other forms of drug.

The government are shortsighted and narrow minded. They continue to only focus on youth vaping and taxation. They don't understand that someone actually likes or enjoys vaping, it's only seen as a cessation tool and they still say it's a gateway for youths to start smoking or moving onto other forms of drug.
IME youth has always found ways to access whatever vices are in fashion,if there are any problems with youth turning to vaping it is a problem of the goverments` own making in that they didn`t keep on top of trading standards whose job it should be to to police sales and supply to underage persons.

IME youth has always found ways to access whatever vices are in fashion,if there are any problems with youth turning to vaping it is a problem of the goverments` own making in that they didn`t keep on top of trading standards whose job it should be to to police sales and supply to underage persons.
Exactly.

Finally got a reply from my MP that failed to specifically address any of the points I made when I wrote to her. I also I never mentioned the WHO so basically it's a cut and paste job of the party line for such replies. I wrote back with a polite thank you and advised her I won't be voting for her at the GE.

"Thank you for contacting me about the regulation of vaping and e-cigarettes.

While e-cigarettes are not risk-free, the Government supports the use of e-cigarettes as a means to stop adults smoking and contributing towards the goal of creating the first smokefree generation.

Some of the highest success rates of those trying to stop smoking are among adults using an e-cigarette, with evidence suggesting that an additional 70,000 people stop every year as a result of using these devices. An estimated 2.4 million vapers are former smokers, and the Government's Swap to Stop Scheme aims to provide almost one in five of all adult smokers in England with a vape kit alongside behavioural support to help them quit the habit.

However, it is deeply worrying that the number of children using vapes has tripled in the past three years, with 20.5 per cent of children having tried vaping in 2023. The advice from the Chief Medical Officer is clear: young people and those who have never smoked should not vape. As my colleague Andrea Leadsom - the Minister for Public Health has stated - it is completely unacceptable when businesses knowingly and deliberately encourage children to use a product that was designed for adults to quit smoking.

Responding to the rise in the number of children vaping, the Government has proposed banning disposable vapes, new powers to restrict flavours specifically marketed at children and changing how vapes are displayed in shops. In addition, Trading Standards Officers will be able to levy "on the spot" fines to tackle underage tobacco and vapes sales.

However, there is insufficient evidence to justify the prohibition of e-cigarettes for all, with the risk to the health of bystanders from e-cigarette vapour being low. In addition, there is no evidence of comparable harm from exposure to e-cigarettes compared to tobacco, so they are not covered by the legislation banning smoking in enclosed public spaces.

These measures will be supported by greater enforcement activity by Trading Standards, HMRC and Border Force. We must take every step to stop the proliferation of illicit vaping products in our communities, often imported from countries such as China and breaching UK regulations on product size and nicotine strength and sold to children. A new “illicit vapes enforcement squad” – led by Trading Standards – has been established to enforce the rules on vaping and tackle illicit vapes and underage sales, with the power to remove illegal products from shops and at our borders.

I note your concerns about the World Health Organisation's proposals around vaping for the Conference of the Parties Tenth Meeting (COP10). However, the UK remains committed to the convention as a world leader in tobacco control. This is compatible with the position that my colleague Andrea Leadsom set out during a recent debate, that as a sovereign nation, it is not within the WHO’s remit to intervene in our internal affairs. The Government has regularly set out its position on vaping at the Conference of the Parties to the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Led by the civil servant Dr Jeanelle de Gruchy, during the Conference in February 2024, the delegation will not agree to any decisions which would impact on the UK's ability to make regulated vapes available for adult smokers who wish to quit smoking.

In addition, I want to be clear that the UK has no plans to implement further restrictions on advertising and sponsorship, particularly in light of the COP’s desire to see further restrictions implemented. The UK will also be pushing for assessor contributions to remain at the same level as now. As with previous events at the Conference of the Parties, the Government will use the opportunity in 2024 to speak about the UK’s progress on the implementation of tobacco control policies. This will include the role of nicotine replacement therapy and vapes in supporting people to quit all forms of tobacco. Once the Conference has taken place, my colleague Andrea Leadsom has committed to provide a statement to Parliament, which will update MPs on the proceedings and key outcomes.

I am confident that the actions being taken by the Government will help prevent children from vaping, whilst ensuring that adult smokers are able to continue accessing a product that can help them quit.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me."

I missed this apparent rebellion in the news last week, but it may have the effect of hastening legislation.

Rishi Sunak braced for major rebellion over smoking ban in just days with 70 MPs to revolt
Exclusive: The Government is bringing forward its flagship smoking ban policy next week -but the expected Tory rebellion will only add to Rishi Sunak's woes.

The Express understands that Downing Street is looking to bring its flagship anti-smoking legislation before Parliament next week, in a rush to disprove allegations that the Government isn’t working hard enough.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the haunted twiglet weighs in.

moggie.jpeg

^^ At least he didn't trot out the party line but as he says it'll pass as Labour support it and it's why the new vape tax is coming.

Couldnt even get that right. they are not planning to ban smoking but disposables, then juice flavours.

Back
Top Bottom