What's new

Teeth problems when vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Blumsum

Initiate
Hi there around 4 months ago i finally bit the bullet and went to the dentist after years of avoiding the issue. I had 17 fillings and 2 extractions in total. I had just converted from smoking to vaping just before.

Everything healed fine and i was vaping as normal. Now fast forward 4 months and i cant seem to vape at the moment, that being said i went to the dentist today and they drilled out one of my fillings and refilled it, that was only today. But every time i now use my vape even the slightest drag it feels like the vape sending horrific pain all over the left side of my mouth. Upper and lower. The pain only comes when vaping, i can drink cold water and eat hot food and it does not affect my teeth.

I am still addicted to nicotine, so i am quite tempted to buy a packet of cigarettes to see if that causes the same shooting pain that does not subside for a while, but i have really done well to kick the habit and would hate to give in now.

I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced this? I have tried different liquids, but it appears as soon as the vape is inhaled the shooting pain starts.

The reason i went to the dentist today was because this shooting pain had started, but it was about 25% severe as it is today so i wish i never went to the dentist!!

Any advise or tips would be hugely appreciated

Kind regards
Dan

Last edited:
Not sure mate, maybe something to do with the amount of sweetener in the juice you are using? Also the vaping style might have something to do with it? Maybe try a juice that's lower on the sweetener higher nic and try mtl see how you get on perhaps?

Nothing but sympathy for you. Dental pain is brutal.

Get a straw or something and pretend to vape. My guess is that it's airflow triggering an unfixed sensitive spot or even just the physical movement involved.

Either way.. back to the dentist before you buy a packet of fags!

They are better placed to diagnose than we are.

This...
315273_xlarge_1.jpg

Its common for teeth to become very sensitive after dental procedures.
Has happened to me. Hot and cold didn't bother me but sweetener did.
That fixed it.

And don't bite bullets!

Last edited:
I try to go to the dentist 1-2 times a year for a cleaning, mostly whenever I visit Asia.
Not all dentists are the same, some do a crap job and can miss things. I would go to a different dentist for a second opinion.
Did they do x-rays or use any instruments to look for cavities or did they just poke your teeth and drill?

Hi cheers for the replies everyone.

Firstly they used this freezing cold tool to try to ascertain which tooth on the left side was affected and eventually found 1 that was more sensitive than the others on the left side. Then she done an xray, and then decided to re- do the filling.

I'm starting to wonder if this is my wisdom tooth that is causing this problem? The wisdom tooth on the left side has grown substantially in size since the extractions 4 months ago, and the wisdom tooth on the right side is about 25% the size of the left.

But surely the dentist would have noticed if this was a problem?

Edit woke up this morning it's still lingering, like a lion lurking in the shadows stalking some prey. I've got my vape on the lowest watts setting at the moment and taking tiny draws lol, somewhat tempting fate as every time it pulses through my gums/teeth.

Last edited:
Careful with vaping after dental work - I have read on here about something called a 'dry socket'. Don't know much about it other than what I've read on here, have a look on Google, see if it fits.

Careful with vaping after dental work - I have read on here about something called a 'dry socket'. Don't know much about it other than what I've read on here, have a look on Google, see if it fits.
Yeah I think your not supposed to vape after an extraction due to the vacum created.
I'm sure @crustyfolker had an issue.
I find sweet American juices give me toothache.

My teeth are not good, the 70s and 80s drill and fill culture, pre vaping - 28 years of smoking. Gum disease / gums receding is a problem, my dentist says good to vape and not smoke but to remember nicotine and the heat of the vape is compounding the issues. After going vape full time in 2015 my dentist said things would get worse before they got better, she was right, for the following two years i was having extractions, fillings and 3 or 4 visits a year, but for the last 15months only a teeth clean and a crown and post falling out.

My teeth are not good, the 70s and 80s drill and fill culture, pre vaping - 28 years of smoking. Gum disease / gums receding is a problem, my dentist says good to vape and not smoke but to remember nicotine and the heat of the vape is compounding the issues. After going vape full time in 2015 my dentist said things would get worse before they got better, she was right, for the following two years i was having extractions, fillings and 3 or 4 visits a year, but for the last 15months only a teeth clean and a crown and post falling out.

Dry socket is where the pressure of you sucking pulls the clot out of the hole where your tooth used to be and just leaves it gaping. It’s painful. Very much so.

I had an extraction last year and Vapes a few hours after, but I streamlined it (Not seal my mouth around the drip tip and just suck air in as well so as not to create pressure in my mouth).
Not ideal, but I got my nic fix. I wouldn’t however recommend it- quite the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom