What's new

UK to raise smoking age from 18, by one year, every year.

i don’t think class a drugs should be illegal. .

Think of the children ffs...... with a free for all, the labs would be working overtime to zombify the world with a single drop....nae cunt would be working, you would crash the world economy faster than yer pal ...found Mary:)

Err.. right...

surely if the rationale is that drugs are antisocial and their use and distribution should be criminalised, then a reasonable criteria for deciding the harshness of the sentence for those selling them is the amount of harm caused to the end user?

Think of the children ffs...... with a free for all, the labs would be working overtime to zombify the world with a single drop....nae cunt would be working, you would crash the world economy faster than yer pal ...found Mary:)

they should be legal, that doesnae mean there would be a drugs section in tesco between the freezer isle and the wine and spirits :)

Last edited:
surely if the rationale is that drugs are antisocial and their use and distribution should be criminalised, then a reasonable criteria for deciding the harshness of the sentence for those selling them is the amount of harm caused to the end user?
Well, that is a whole debate in itself... (and always ongoing)

But for example, smoking is quite different from opioids in respect to being a high potential of a progressive disease over several decades, but can't really overdose, whereas opioids have a high rate of fatal overdoses (amongst other negative aspects).

Nicotine also doesn't affect your day to day functioning and have antisocial aspects in the way that opioids do.. and doesn't have the potential that you could end up selling your granny for a hit of smack...

Well, that is a whole debate in itself... (and always ongoing)

But for example, smoking is quite different from opioids in respect to being a high potential of a progressive disease over several decades, but can't really overdose, whereas opioids have a high rate of fatal overdoses (amongst other negative aspects).

Nicotine also doesn't affect your day to day functioning and have antisocial aspects in the way that opioids do.. and doesn't have the potential that you could end up selling your granny for a hit of smack...

you make this point yourself though, much of the more negative end of the stigma around and effects of opiates comes from the criminalisation of users. criminalising it creates crime in order for people to feed habits. ODs arise because of the variable quality and strength of gear purchased from dealers. legalised drugs distributed in a controlled way in a safe environment would significantly reduce or even end much of this stuff. i think it’s also common knowledge that there are many functional opiate users in the upper echelons of society, the medical profession etc. it doesn’t have a significant effect on their ability to function because they have the means to avoid the negative implications of having to navigate the lower end of the “underworld” and the risks inherent in this.

smoking is very significantly worse from a health perspective, i do t think there is any doubt about it.

they should be legal, that doesnae mean there would be a drugs section in tesco between the freezer isle and the wine and spirits :)
Surely they`d keep them by the tills with the other goodies :)

you make this point yourself though, much of the more negative end of the stigma around and effects of opiates comes from the criminalisation of users. criminalising it creates crime in order for people to feed habits.
Yes, hence the debate...
ODs arise because of the variable quality and strength of gear purchased from dealers.
They can also arise from user error.. and when a user's tolerance has lowered...
.. there can be a number of factors at play that causes an overdose.. and it's not hard to do...
smoking is very significantly worse from a health perspective, i do t think there is any doubt about it.
Both bad.. you're comparing 2 evils...

you make this point yourself though, much of the more negative end of the stigma around and effects of opiates comes from the criminalisation of users. criminalising it creates crime in order for people to feed habits. ODs arise because of the variable quality and strength of gear purchased from dealers. legalised drugs distributed in a controlled way in a safe environment would significantly reduce or even end much of this stuff. i think it’s also common knowledge that there are many functional opiate users in the upper echelons of society, the medical profession etc. it doesn’t have a significant effect on their ability to function because they have the means to avoid the negative implications of having to navigate the lower end of the “underworld” and the risks inherent in this.

I'm always very uncertain on drug questions, but what you say is objectively true. I read Sir Arthur Doyle and it's always felt strange that both Morphine and Cocaine were legal and Holmes sees fit to use them on occasion.

A quick look online suggests that until 1916 drug use was hardly controlled at all and the 'dangerous drugs act' of 1920 was when it all really kicked in. It would certainly be interesting to go back and see what things were like.

They can also arise from user error.. and when a user's tolerance has lowered...
.. there can be a number of factors at play that causes an overdose.. and it's not hard to do...

aye this is true, and also made worse by criminality.

Both bad.. you're comparing 2 evils...

maybe so, i wouldn’t say evil, but smoking is surely the worse. there isn’t really any smoking that is not harmful.

Back
Top Bottom