What's new

UK to raise smoking age from 18, by one year, every year.

This is where it all gets a bit complicated for me, forgive me if I'm not understanding the concept of 'decriminalisation' but wouldn't that just lead to the wild west of drug sales and distribution? Kind of like how vaping was in the early days, mixing in kitchen sinks and dirty conditions and what would essentially be a legal black market? Wouldn't you have to go 'fully legal' so the quality, strength etc of the drugs could be controlled, tested etc. Otherwise it seems to me that most of the downsides would still be present... if not worse, drugs being cut with god knows what, etc. ... and that wouldn't be criminal?

I don't really understand how that would work.

well vapes were legal at that time though, no? everything is legal unless it’s illegal.

i think all of this should be legal but heavily regulated. decriminalisation generally applies to end users. so laws are still in place but there are not criminal sanctions for your average bod. a blind eye may be turned to the situations in which he finds the thing he wants etc.

well vapes were legal at that time though, no? everything is legal unless it’s illegal.

i think all of this should be legal but heavily regulated. decriminalisation generally applies to end users. so laws are still in place but there are not criminal sanctions for your average bod. a blind eye may be turned to the situations in which he finds the thing he wants etc.

right, yeah... that's what I'm getting it.

I don't think decriminalization is the way to go, it won't stop drug smuggling (by dodgy as fuck smugglers) bad drugs in circulation, dodgy as fuck dealers... all the things that make me the most concerned. I don't think turning a blind eye is the best way forward, it would seem to just encourage 'the bad stuff'

Just make it legal and stop fucking around.... or don't and crack down properly. I don't think decriminalisation is a good compromise really. ... although, I might be persuaded, maybe I don't understand what the aim is.

right, yeah... that's what I'm getting it.

I don't think decriminalization is the way to go, it won't stop drug smuggling (by dodgy as fuck smugglers) bad drugs in circulation, dodgy as fuck dealers... all the things that make me the most concerned. I don't think turning a blind eye is the best way forward, it would seem to just encourage 'the bad stuff'

Just make it legal and stop fucking around.... or don't and crack down properly. I don't think decriminalisation is a good compromise really. ... although, I might be persuaded, maybe I don't understand what the aim is.

you could be right. i suppose it maybe depends on the detail.

this safe consumption room thing that’s likely to happen here soon seems like a kind of de facto decriminalisation. as a thing in itself i think it will help to reduce harm but you are right in that it still leaves the illicit supply chain. but seems a positive step, at least.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politic...nsumption-room-could-be-approved-within-weeks

I couldn` t agree with or condone any form of acceptance of so called recreational narcotics, laws exist because human nature cant be trusted, without sanction the drugs trade would spiral out of control, it`s already bad enough with folk willing to murder, rob and prostitute themselves in pursuit of their next fix, once hooked there are no depths to which some of these (unfortunate?) people wont sink.

I couldn` t agree with or condone any form of acceptance of so called recreational narcotics, laws exist because human nature cant be trusted, without sanction the drugs trade would spiral out of control, it`s already bad enough with folk willing to murder, rob and prostitute themselves in pursuit of their next fix, once hooked there are no depths to which some of these (unfortunate?) people wont sink.

and yet here you are contributing to a discussion on a forum for recreational nicotine users.

although maybe you are right, imagine the drug problem spiralling out of control. it’s lucky we have laws preventing that from happening and keeping drug production and distribution in responsible hands. aye.

Yes I am, and the next time I come to in a puddle of my own piss or consider robbing my 90 year old neighbour for for my next bottle of juice I`ll consider turning myself in.

Are there any safe hands when it comes to something as reprehensible and demeaning as hard drug use?

EDIT we`re derailing this thread, why not start your own?

Last edited:
Are there any safe hands when it comes to something as reprehensible and demeaning as hard drug use?

EDIT we`re derailing this thread, why not start your own?
The government is doing quite well with alcohol.

Human nature can't be trusted, yet the people who make the laws are humans and often very flawed humans. ... and I really don't trust them. If you don't think all the toffs are snorting lines of coke at parties, then I think you are being a little naive.

It's very complicated, those folk you see on skid row... It's never clear if they are crack addicts because of their situation or they are in that situation because they are crack addicts. I think it's often the former, so the drug addiction is a symptom of their situation, rather than the cause.

Honestly I think the law makers just think it's too bigger problem to even start trying to deal with. I also think there's a pretty good argument to say that some of the main reasons people end up that way and in those situation is the direct consequence of the actions of those people with the power to make laws.

I'm not sure, it's a massive subject because nothing exists in a vacuum. The 'drug problem' is so intertwined with everything else.

Back
Top Bottom