What's new

Don't think vaping is for me

Vaping is so much more complex than smoking - I don't think that is stated enough. It can be terribly frustrating when you see it working for so many people yet it's not working for you, not to mention the cost of trying to find what works. But you found your way here and that is hopefully the first big step to identifying and fixing your issues at minimal further cost to you.

I'm an IT guy so not normally thrown off by such things, but even I have been muddled by all the technology, terminology and conflicting advice attached to vaping. Until recently I was caught up in the hype (You Tube etc) and was convinced I needed to "sub-ohm" and vape "straight to lung (STL)". No! I was a heavy smoker and I just needed a setup that would replace that addiction and provide the easiest transition from smoking to vaping. The fancy stuff can come later (if and when I want it).

But here's the thing. Equipment and juice issues aside (I'll let the experts here help you with that), I discovered the simplest thing recently that has made a massive difference to my vaping experience and that is "how" I was actually vaping. I was using too high watts and I was sucking way (way) too hard. I hadn't realised this before as the equipment I was using was masking this problem. I have now reduced my watts down to the 9-11 range and I take much longer and very gentle draws into the mouth before quickly inhaling and exhaling. The result is no more coughing, no light head, and a much more mellow yet flavoursome vape. I smoked out of pure need before, but I actually look forward to my next vape now. It's so enjoyable compared to smoking.

Until you find a vendor you can trust (the ones on here are great BTW from my experience so far), just listen to the experts advice on here and I am sure they will get you sorted ASAP. Also, you mentioned in your other thread that your Mrs was vaping without issue. Has she tried your equipment and juice just to see if it seems right to her or have you tried hers? Just a thought.

Good luck - I really hope you stick with it and the guys here will sort you out I'm sure.

p
Hi use MVP 3.0 Pro and Aspire Nautilus Mini BVC smoked for 43 years and yes i would like to stop if i can. Most of my family have died from cancer before the age of 60

Hi mate

I would be willing to bet it's the nautilus coil. Any time I've had bad coughs/tight chest from vaping it's been with an aspire tank (Nautilus and Atlantis).

I would suggest getting something like a subtank mini and staying away from menthol juices. If you don't want to jump in and get the subtank after you've just bought the nautilus, put an EVOD tank (can get them for about £3.50) on the MVP3 and try that.

Don't get me wrong, the nautilus is good but I find it's temperamental. I can go weeks using it and no issues but sometimes I find I get a really bad cough and my chest feels tight. I can't even take a few draws of my atlantis without this happening. I believe it's the material that Aspire use in their products or maybe just with menthol juices - I haven't yet made that connection. I've been vaping for over a year and sometimes can get a bad chest when using aspire products. An issue I don't get with anything else, subtank, TFV4, drippers - RDA's. The standard coils are fine from any manufacturer, except aspire.

I know a few people wont agree but that's just my opinion. If you try something else and it works, you'll see how good vaping really is mate.

Side note, has anyone else experienced this with Aspire products?

If you know someone who mixes their own juice get them to knock up a couple of bottles for you
1 bottle PG + Nic no flavouring the other bottle VG + Nic no flavouring this will let you know where
the problem is. If PG + Nic makes you ill then use VG + Nic if this also makes you ill then im afraid
you are snookered. If on the other hand both of these are fine then its the flavouring that is the problem.
I would use a low strength nic with this trial. Hope this helps.

Side note, has anyone else experienced this with Aspire products?
Not at all, but the one thing that is different with Aspire is that their coils use some kind of ceramic material infused with cotton. I personally love these, but in theory, it may be an issue for some people.

OP, maybe pick up a cheap CE5 clearomizer and try using that for a bit? See what kind of results it gives. Or better yet - pop into a vape shop, ask them to taste different juices on their different setups. Could be a good starting point.

Also, http://www.smokerainbow.com/ - lots of cheap samples.

Vaping is so much more complex than smoking - I don't think that is stated enough. It can be terribly frustrating when you see it working for so many people yet it's not working for you, not to mention the cost of trying to find what works. But you found your way here and that is hopefully the first big step to identifying and fixing your issues at minimal further cost to you.

I'm an IT guy so not normally thrown off by such things, but even I have been muddled by all the technology, terminology and conflicting advice attached to vaping. Until recently I was caught up in the hype (You Tube etc) and was convinced I needed to "sub-ohm" and vape "straight to lung (STL)". No! I was a heavy smoker and I just needed a setup that would replace that addiction and provide the easiest transition from smoking to vaping. The fancy stuff can come later (if and when I want it).

But here's the thing. Equipment and juice issues aside (I'll let the experts here help you with that), I discovered the simplest thing recently that has made a massive difference to my vaping experience and that is "how" I was actually vaping. I was using too high watts and I was sucking way (way) too hard. I hadn't realised this before as the equipment I was using was masking this problem. I have now reduced my watts down to the 9-11 range and I take much longer and very gentle draws into the mouth before quickly inhaling and exhaling. The result is no more coughing, no light head, and a much more mellow yet flavoursome vape. I smoked out of pure need before, but I actually look forward to my next vape now. It's so enjoyable compared to smoking.

Until you find a vendor you can trust (the ones on here are great BTW from my experience so far), just listen to the experts advice on here and I am sure they will get you sorted ASAP. Also, you mentioned in your other thread that your Mrs was vaping without issue. Has she tried your equipment and juice just to see if it seems right to her or have you tried hers? Just a thought.

Good luck - I really hope you stick with it and the guys here will sort you out I'm sure.

Hi the wife did try mine with kindjuice 100%VG and it made her cough too. I am lost to be honest and just thinking about selling my vape stuff and sticking to cigs.

I am fedup of wasting money on equipment and licquids.

If you know someone who mixes their own juice get them to knock up a couple of bottles for you
1 bottle PG + Nic no flavouring the other bottle VG + Nic no flavouring this will let you know where
the problem is. If PG + Nic makes you ill then use VG + Nic if this also makes you ill then im afraid
you are snookered. If on the other hand both of these are fine then its the flavouring that is the problem.
I would use a low strength nic with this trial. Hope this helps.

Hi no i don't know anyone who does.

@olddude what did the doc say when you originally went to see him? chest infection? cold? flu?

Hi i went to docs before i got all this new equiment when i was on the old stuff i had. but they just give me Codeine Linctus Sugar Free 200ml which is the best stuff i have ever used.

Well that idea is dead in the water... Only thing I can think of is find a vape shop and try different PG/VG ratio liquids until you find one your happy with

Back
Top Bottom