What's new

Dotshell new user and help

W30RTY

Postman
Hi all I’ve recently bought a Dotshell for my Dotmod V2, I was just wondering if anyone has some good wicking guides for MTL on this rebuildable I’m a bit of a newbie- also I have noticed that when I put my airflow control ring on and it is fully threaded in the airflow holes land at the sides? Has anybody encountered this before?

Image for reference

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
This is my first wick, seem to not be getting much flavour, am I using too much? 0.9 using 1.5mm Mtl insert

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Yeah all the dotshells have their air holes off centre. Not ideal but it doesn't effect the airflow. Hard to tell from your photo if you have to much cotton in there.
Less is more with these. If memory serves you were having the same issue with the BP tank?
Do you have any other devices that you know perform well that you can test your eliquid with?
Can't imagine you've not got your wicking right at least once in the bp or dotshell so, process of illumination maybe the eliquid you are using is a bit gash.

Yeah all the dotshells have their air holes off centre. Not ideal but it doesn't effect the airflow. Hard to tell from your photo if you have to much cotton in there.
Less is more with these. If memory serves you were having the same issue with the BP tank?
Do you have any other devices that you know perform well that you can test your eliquid with?
Can't imagine you've not got your wicking right at least once in the bp or dotshell so, process of illumination maybe the eliquid you are using is a bit gash.

hi Mitch thanks for your response, yes that’s correct, I’ve been struggling with the BP Pioneer so I’ve purchased the Dotshell as the wicking seemed to be a lot more straight forward, I’m using Maldon vapes Black Bess which is a quality liquid- have tried this with the standard dotmod coils and it’s decent. It’s 10mg nic salt variety. My current set up is the 1.5mm airflow hole 0.9 ss 316 standard coil around 13-14w

Oh I’ve also used multiple different juices now so I think it’s definitely more on the wicking side that I’m struggling with, I’m pretty new to rebuilding and I have always struggled but I really want to get good at it and be able to do it correctly

OK so you've verified your eliquid is good, your tank is capable of producing good levels of flavour. So possible issues:
1: You are not getting the wicking right
2: the cotton you are using is rubbish
3: the wattage you are using is to low or high to create the flavour you're looking for.

From what I recall you are using bp mods cotton which have not tried but it would have to be pretty bad in order to mute flavour to the point you can't taste anything.
If your looking to extract the most flavour from you're eliquid I would suggest Fuzz cotton (Yorkshire vaper). Some cotton can take a bit of time to break in before you get the full flavour come through. We are talking minutes with Fuzz. Cotton bacon takes a good few hours for me at least.
Just a recommendation but I don't think that's the answer to solve your problem completely.
I would guess that you need to keep practicing your wicking & experimenting with wattage to get the flavour you expect from you're eliquid.
Only other advice I can give you with wicking the dotshell is that you'd be very surprised how little cotton you can get away with using. There have been times I've wicked my dotshell with so little cotton I pretty much expected it to flood. Just couldn't be bothered to re-wick it so chanced it. Hasn't flooded to date & flavour is on point.

Cotton looks a wee tad tight...you may be strangling the wick, also I see you have coil legs down, try coil legs up...worth a try

Experiment with coil height, I find atmizoo tanks work a bit better with it raised a couple of mm.

Many thanks for all your comments there, I’ll keep these in mind and have a play about tonight- maybe I’m not giving my cotton enough time to wick in as usually after leaving it for 5 mins and have 10-15 puffs and it’s not great i disassemble and start again

Back
Top Bottom