What's new

I just cant get on with the Profile P.S :(

ScottishDuck13

Postman
Hey guys,

I love the Profile series, they are my favourite and go to RDA. The OG was simply mind blowing when I first tried it, I have about 4 of them the 1.5 was decent but the RDTA was the best, have 2 of them, should be more! I do have the Unity and the M but I my unity build were lasting a day before going black burnt and the M I just haven't used enough cause I've been squonking while homeworking the past few years, I tend to use tanks while out and about.

Anyway, I obviously jumped at the P.S but I just cant get it to play ball... I've tried the mesh it came with in Series and Parallel everywhere from 30-80w it goes from too weak to feeling like its going to dry hit at around 65w but still doesn't give me great flavour. I have also tried my go-to Profile mesh of the VandyVape 316l spool cut to size and that is a little better but still severely lacking. It just doesn't give anything like the flavour of the OG and the RDTA, even the 1.5. I've tried different cotton / juices etc as well.

I've got it in Series mode just now at 0.25 ohms from the VV mesh. I will admit, i know what the Series/Parallel does as in doubles/halves the ohms etc but I always forget how that relates to what wattage you should use, like which ones should take more power or be more flavourful etc.

Like if I had the standard 0.3 mesh and used the exact same build/cotton/juice and wattage (say 50w) but literally swapped the pins... at 50w what would the actual vape difference be between the 0.15 and 0.6 ohm builds?

I'm not sure if its something in this area that's the underlying cause of my lack of flavour but I have tried so many different wattages on both pins so I cant think what else to do,...

I really WANT to like it :(

It needs more power in series than parallel I find. Really need to keep the cotton soaked to prevent dry hits. When I got it right it's good otherwise it's as bad as the 1.5. Currently using the Hadron mesh RDSA and sad to say it's better than the PS but still behind the RDTA.

It needs more power in series than parallel I find. Really need to keep the cotton soaked to prevent dry hits. When I got it right it's good otherwise it's as bad as the 1.5. Currently using the Hadron mesh RDSA and sad to say it's better than the PS but still behind the RDTA.

Yeah I've tried soaking it to the point of it starting to overflow out the airholes, it always feels like the other Profiles do when the flavour starts to go dry and you need to re-drip/squonk... but just ALL the time.

I just tried up to 90w on this series build at 0.23 ohms on the VV mesh, still just a pretty bland vape.

That's a tricky question.

Most 'series builds' of regular complex coils are generally regarded as being aimed at 8.4V mech users - as they can provide much higher powered vapes than a single battery 4.2V mech, but you MUST build high enough to avoid overstressing the batteries. There is no question of how much power as the batteries will always give everything they've got, the only control you have is by building to a specific resistance to give the power you want, while sticking to ohms law and staying within the rated Amp draw of the batteries.

With a mesh series build on a regulated mod (or any build) you control how much power you throw at the build, so the question is - how much do you want (obviously you still need to use batteries that are suitably rated for the Amp load). There is no 'correct' wattage to apply to any resistance build on a regulated mod - you select wattage to suit your personal preferences.

As with regular single or double coil RDAs - you may be happy with 40W on a single coil, but run a dual coil RDA with two similar coils to the one used in the single coiler at 80W. Theoretically two similar strips of mesh could take twice the amount of power - but you could find twice the amount of vapour overwhelming, so maybe bumping up the power by 50% instead of 100% over a single strip may be more satisfying.

What I think could be an issue is mesh swills juice - two strips of mesh will be twice as thirsty. Maybe because you have two very large wicks the ends need thinning sufficiently to kedep up with the wicking? Or maybe you need to squonk, leave it for 20 seconds for the wicks to soak up the juice and squonk again as there will be a LOT of cotton in that RDA. With a series mech you have to drip constantly because of how much juice they swill - using dual mesh is probably even thirstier.

Try dripping on it and take a few hits - if you can suddenly get a satisfying vape at approximately double the wattage of a single - it is the wicking/squonking/how much the mesh swills ratio that is out of whack.

But sometimes more isn't always the best. Twice the power twice the vapour is only better if you weren't getting enough from the lower powered vape.

Last edited:
That's a tricky question.

Most 'series builds' of regular complex coils are generally regarded as being aimed at 8.4V mech users - as they can provide much higher powered vapes than a single battery 4.2V mech, but you MUST build high enough to avoid overstressing the batteries. There is no question of how much power as the batteries will always give everything they've got, the only control you have is by building to a specific resistance to give the power you want, while sticking to ohms law and staying within the rated Amp draw of the batteries.

With a mesh series build on a regulated mod (or any build) you control how much power you throw at the build, so the question is - how much do you want (obviously you still need to use batteries that are suitably rated for the Amp load). There is no 'correct' wattage to apply to any resistance build on a regulated mod - you select wattage to suit your personal preferences.

As with regular single or double coil RDAs - you may be happy with 40W on a single coil, but run a dual coil RDA with two similar coils to the one used in the single coiler at 80W. Theoretically two similar strips of mesh could take twice the amount of power - but you could find twice the amount of vapour overwhelming, so maybe bumping up the power by 50% instead of 100% over a single strip may be more satisfying.

What I think could be an issue is mesh swills juice - two strips of mesh will be twice as thirsty. Maybe because you have two very large wicks the ends need thinning sufficiently to kedep up with the wicking? Or maybe you need to squonk, leave it for 20 seconds for the wicks to soak up the juice and squonk again as there will abe a LOT of cotton in that RDA.

Try dripping on it and take a few hits - if you can suddenly get a satisfying vape at approximately double the wattage of a single - it is the wicking/squonking/how much the mesh swills ration that is out of whack.

But sometimes more isn't always the best. Twice the power twice the vapour is only better if you weren't getting enough from the lower powered vape.

Nice reply thanks :) however, the 'recommended' wattage on the dual builds for that mesh is 30-40w... I got zero from that, no flavour and it had as much vapor as from a rubbish pen style vape. So I slowly bumped it up 5w at a time until I got to around 80w when it felt like it was going to dry hit and no point did I get 'great flavour'. So I tried swapping the pins to go into the opposite mode of whichever I tried first and repeated the above wattage trial and noticed no difference at all. I then tried that for a few days, tried different juice, cotton etc. Then Eventually rebuilt with the VV SS mesh and repeated all of the above again. This one has marginally more flavour but still nowhere near what I've had from any mesh RDA/RTA or anything in the past. I'm definitely doing something wrong I just cant figure out what.

The squonking on this literally pours over all the mesh and cotton and it is soaked so its not that.

I've tried in TC mode as well on the VV mesh. I'm using it on the Topside Dual Carbon . To be honest the mod is the only thing I haven't changed but I cant see it being that?

Nice reply thanks :) however, the 'recommended' wattage on the dual builds for that mesh is 30-40w... I got zero from that, no flavour and it had as much vapor as from a rubbish pen style vape. So I slowly bumped it up 5w at a time until I got to around 80w when it felt like it was going to dry hit and no point did I get 'great flavour'. So I tried swapping the pins to go into the opposite mode of whichever I tried first and repeated the above wattage trial and noticed no difference at all. I then tried that for a few days, tried different juice, cotton etc. Then Eventually rebuilt with the VV SS mesh and repeated all of the above again. This one has marginally more flavour but still nowhere near what I've had from any mesh RDA/RTA or anything in the past. I'm definitely doing something wrong I just cant figure out what.

The squonking on this literally pours over all the mesh and cotton and it is soaked so its not that.

I've tried in TC mode as well on the VV mesh. I'm using it on the Topside Dual Carbon . To be honest the mod is the only thing I haven't changed but I cant see it being that?

What makes me cynical about the Profile PS is the orientation of the Mesh with regard to the airflow. A single mesh tank will have air directed at both sides, with the PS the mesh on each side resembles two hills with a valley running through the centre - as the air hits one side of each mesh I wonder if the sheltered valley area in the middle can get a little toasty, giving reduced flavour and the 'is it going to dry hit' feeling?

I don't have this RDA so I', just speculating here - no facts just guesswork..

I've just skimmed the Devil Vapour's review - he didn't go much over the 60W level, so the 'series/parallel' build deck label is irrelevant as the performance was identical regardless of which pin was used to raise/lower the resistance, he claimed it was an identical vape at 60 Watts regardless of which mode it was vaped in. Which makes sense I suppose - 60 Watts is 60 Watts regardless of how the board juggles the Volt/Amp output to achieve it.

Maybe, instead of progressively bumping up the power - sticking to the middle/recommended wattage range and progressively reducing the airflow from fully open may bump up the flavour a bit.

What makes me cynical about the Profile PS is the orientation of the Mesh with regard to the airflow. A single mesh tank will have air directed at both sides, with the PS the mesh on each side resembles two hills with a valley running through the centre - as the air hits one side of each mesh I wonder if the sheltered valley area in the middle can get a little toasty, giving reduced flavour and the 'is it going to dry hit' feeling?

This ^^^ was my first thought when I saw the images of this RDA and made me very sceptical. So what I did try yesterday with this in mind - lets see how well I can explain this to be visualised haha - was to shorten the length of the VV mesh strips. So instead of them curving up in a big semi circle with the inner sides facing the centre being essentially invisible to the airflows I cut them shorter so they had less of a curve. So imagine the mesh curve being like ( instead of C ... if that makes sense? Didn't seem to make any difference.

I will also admit that I never really change the airflow. 99% of the time I have every single vape device fully open, only ever tried closing off briefly to test. I did try it earlier closing the top row at 80w and it made a slight difference. I wouldn't think its the drastic change I'm looking for but will give it a shot and see what happens.

Picture might show better what I mean, although hard to get a side on view of the mesh angle/curve with all that cotton in the way!

ProfilePS.JPG

I get what you mean about using slightly shorter strips, but I have noticed (with regular coil RDAs) is that coil position is essential - with side airflow if you can see the coil through the airflow generally it works well, if you can see the bottom of the coil sometimes it's slightly better as the air gets pulled in and subsequently up to the drip tip, if you can see the top of the coil but not the bottom the flavour can suffer as the bottom of the coil gets nothing.

In a single mesh tank, the mesh is fixed - both sides will get directly hit, and as the air gets pulled upwards it will naturally flow up the sides of the mesh. I'm not convinced that will happen with that layout - and the RDA is 28mm wide, the air has a long way to travel sideways to hit the centre of the tank - and as the air is being pulled upwards towards the drip tip I doubt much of it that gets to the centre to cool things down.

If you look at the Steamcrave Series mesh deck the mesh is in the 'right' orientation and has no overheating/dry hit problems or adverse comments about flavour, even at silly wattages as the airflow works as it should.

I have noticed that, although the Profile PS is now only 6 months old, I can't remember anyone mentioning it again within a month of being released - although the earlier single coil versions are still firm favourites with the mesh fans.

I hope tinkering with the airflow helps, but sorry mate - I think you may have bought a lemon.

I get what you mean about using slightly shorter strips, but I have noticed (with regular coil RDAs) is that coil position is essential - with side airflow if you can see the coil through the airflow generally it works well, if you can see the bottom of the coil sometimes it's slightly better as the air gets pulled in and subsequently up to the drip tip, if you can see the top of the coil but not the bottom the flavour can suffer as the bottom of the coil gets nothing.

In a single mesh tank, the mesh is fixed - both sides will get directly hit, and as the air gets pulled upwards it will naturally flow up the sides of the mesh. I'm not convinced that will happen with that layout - and the RDA is 28mm wide, the air has a long way to travel sideways to hit the centre of the tank - and as the air is being pulled upwards towards the drip tip I doubt much of it that gets to the centre to cool things down.

If you look at the Steamcrave Series mesh deck the mesh is in the 'right' orientation and has no overheating/dry hit problems or adverse comments about flavour, even at silly wattages as the airflow works as it should.

I have noticed that, although the Profile PS is now only 6 months old, I can't remember anyone mentioning it again within a month of being released - although the earlier single coil versions are still firm favourites with the mesh fans.

I hope tinkering with the airflow helps, but sorry mate - I think you may have bought a lemon.

Haha Im thinking the same thing, Imn giving it another few days before selling on or more likely just dumping it in my big box of old hardware. You are right though, me trying to clever will be too low (height wise) for the airflow to properly hit it... But then making them bigger i feel like you say the middle wont get cooled. ill maybe try 2 more builds... 1 with the full size strip of VV 316l mesh and another with a different one of the old OG mesh strips, got loads of them in various little tubs, maybe the 316L NexMesh. But then that'll be it!

I was just asking the question on here cause Id been reading some old threads from @nwhornet and others where they seemed to love it... and I was hoping for something to come up I hadnt thought of or someone pointing out I had overlooked something stupid haha!

Back
Top Bottom