What's new

Just buy your goddamn batteries from a trusted vendor....

Nero

Postman
This is a warning more than anything else, to highlight to new users why you should always buy batteries from trusted sellers, not just some company who looks alright online.

The regulars on here will have heard similar stories a thousand times, but this one's mine straight from the horses mouth, and well they can lump it tbh, if it makes one more person check their shiny new batteries then it was worth posting.

Before it gets too grim and people start pulling their hair out screaming "not another one!!!!!" I didn't melt my trousers or blow half my face off. I was bought some batteries, didn't like the look of them, chucked em on the shelf and went and grabbed some different ones until I had time to sit down and research them, I'm glad I did is as grim as this post gets.

1480598021454.jpg

These were sold with a mechanical mod (noisy cricket 2) struggling to find actual data but likely with a low resistance cut off/short circuit protection of 0.05 ohm in parallel. From a full charge ie 4.2v that would be drawing 84 Amps across the two batteries = 42 Amps each. (There's not a battery on the market right now that will do that within manufacturer tolerances btw, but there's a fair few that would be a hell of a lot better at it than these)

When they first arrived I was slightly wary of them, for a couple of reasons and decided not to use them until I had verified their suitability. Firstly I was dubious about their authenticity as Samsung because of the wrap not being centred around the positive pin, and also being able to read text printed directly on the battery through the wrap. I was also dubious of the specifications as the model number printed on the battery wrap didn't match that on the invoice.

If I had ordered them myself I would have been straight on the phone to the company they came from to check both of these things, unfortunately they were bought for me as a gift and thus probably wouldn't have dealt directly with me anyway, and I didn't want to look like an ungrateful cunt going back to the person who bought it all for me and saying it wasn't good enough.

So they've been on the shelf a few weeks and I finally found some data on them. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0674/3651/files/Samsung_ICR18650-26H.pdf?834

All I can say is thanks to the knowledgeable folks on this and other forums I'd read a few bits and pieces about battery safety prior to recieving them and decided to play it safe and I'm glad I did. As I said, sold with a noisy cricket 2 from a UK based company with a vaping specific website. Not one of our trusted/listed vendors or one that advertises on this site I'm glad to say.

These are basically torch batteries. 5.2Amp safe discharge current, little more than 10% of what the mod they were sold with could ask of them with a very low resistance build on. I'm not even gonna bother with the maths for if I'd used them in series, needless to say I likely wouldn't be writing this with all my fingers or reading the forum with both eyes. Being that we don't discharge them continuously they might be good for a little more than 5.2A possibly even 8 or 10 amp at short pulses, but when the difference is that huge it's just not even worth it.

The instructions for the cricket even say to use high power (25A+) batteries, and yet sellers will sell you this junk with a vape mod at all never mind a mech.

Find some AWT batteries they work well with mechs. high amp drain.

So who was the vendor?

Honestly batteries are so cheap I don't get why people are so keen to save literally a couple of quid. As per your post, for god's sake buy from somewhere reputable. @Ben fogstar is a good place to start. He's on these forums, great vendor, reasonable prices, and will answer any battery questions :)

the chemistry of those batteries give it straight away they are "icr" not suitable for vaping full stop really, as you say ok in a torch, but thats it

mech batteries, you want to stick with trusted brands as well as trusted vendors, in a mech, I wouldn't look further than a samsung 25r or sony vtc5a
(also I stay away from companies that re wrap, that leaves samsung, sony, lg as "my go to")

Ive found most consistency with the LG 3000mah at 20amps picked em from moonvapez

I'll wait for a mod to contact me before I name and shame, they are a company with mixed reviews already on here from the past, and have had no right of reply as I chose not to contact them and just buy myself new batteries elsewhere. The noisy cricket from them is fine & genuine, the batteries are genuine, just not the ones they were sold as. It may be that had it been something I ordered and not a gift I could have dealt directly with them and it was an honest mistake that they picked the wrong batteries and may have resolved it. Though I still don't like the idea that they carry these batteries at all somewhere selling vape gear.

I'll wait for a mod to contact me before I name and shame, they are a company with mixed reviews already on here from the past, and have had no right of reply as I chose not to contact them and just buy myself new batteries elsewhere. The noisy cricket from them is fine & genuine, the batteries are genuine, just not the ones they were sold as. It may be that had it been something I ordered and not a gift I could have dealt directly with them and it was an honest mistake that they picked the wrong batteries and may have resolved it. Though I still don't like the idea that they carry these batteries at all somewhere selling vape gear.
Theres a vendor review section where u can write about ur experience there is a disclaimer there that you have to include before you post aswell

This is a warning more than anything else, to highlight to new users why you should always buy batteries from trusted sellers, not just some company who looks alright online.

The regulars on here will have heard similar stories a thousand times, but this one's mine straight from the horses mouth, and well they can lump it tbh, if it makes one more person check their shiny new batteries then it was worth posting.

Before it gets too grim and people start pulling their hair out screaming "not another one!!!!!" I didn't melt my trousers or blow half my face off. I was bought some batteries, didn't like the look of them, chucked em on the shelf and went and grabbed some different ones until I had time to sit down and research them, I'm glad I did is as grim as this post gets.

View attachment 111580

These were sold with a mechanical mod (noisy cricket 2) struggling to find actual data but likely with a low resistance cut off/short circuit protection of 0.05 ohm in parallel. From a full charge ie 4.2v that would be drawing 84 Amps across the two batteries = 42 Amps each. (There's not a battery on the market right now that will do that within manufacturer tolerances btw, but there's a fair few that would be a hell of a lot better at it than these)

When they first arrived I was slightly wary of them, for a couple of reasons and decided not to use them until I had verified their suitability. Firstly I was dubious about their authenticity as Samsung because of the wrap not being centred around the positive pin, and also being able to read text printed directly on the battery through the wrap. I was also dubious of the specifications as the model number printed on the battery wrap didn't match that on the invoice.

If I had ordered them myself I would have been straight on the phone to the company they came from to check both of these things, unfortunately they were bought for me as a gift and thus probably wouldn't have dealt directly with me anyway, and I didn't want to look like an ungrateful cunt going back to the person who bought it all for me and saying it wasn't good enough.

So they've been on the shelf a few weeks and I finally found some data on them. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0674/3651/files/Samsung_ICR18650-26H.pdf?834

All I can say is thanks to the knowledgeable folks on this and other forums I'd read a few bits and pieces about battery safety prior to recieving them and decided to play it safe and I'm glad I did. As I said, sold with a noisy cricket 2 from a UK based company with a vaping specific website. Not one of our trusted/listed vendors or one that advertises on this site I'm glad to say.

These are basically torch batteries. 5.2Amp safe discharge current, little more than 10% of what the mod they were sold with could ask of them with a very low resistance build on. I'm not even gonna bother with the maths for if I'd used them in series, needless to say I likely wouldn't be writing this with all my fingers or reading the forum with both eyes. Being that we don't discharge them continuously they might be good for a little more than 5.2A possibly even 8 or 10 amp at short pulses, but when the difference is that huge it's just not even worth it.

The instructions for the cricket even say to use high power (25A+) batteries, and yet sellers will sell you this junk with a vape mod at all never mind a mech.
I have a feeling that the batteries you have aren't in fact the ones stated on the wrap.....I only say that as I ordered some rewrap from fasttech last year that have that very same printed on the wraps....

And you mentioning that the wrap looked a bit wonky got me thinking....

I'll check the wraps when I get in

If as you say you got them from a "Trusted" vendor we need to know who?

I can't believe their still vendors out there trying the trick of selling batteries that are made for laptop, flashlight etc when so much info out there with battery safety etc! We personally only buy Samsung 25Rs as they seem to be the best all round battery IMO.

Back
Top Bottom