What's new

UK to raise smoking age from 18, by one year, every year.

Never gonna work. what a waste of time, effort and money.

I didn't stop smoking for some idealogical claptrap and I do miss the taste of a nice tobacco, I quit for my health but I support anyone who wants to smoke as it's their free choice. All this nanny state stuff pisses me off and is just another means of exerting control over free will.

Other problems with raising legal age of buying cigarettes each year...

It creates a situation in 10 years whereby people will have to prove they are 28 rather than 27 to buy tobacco. Implementing that (and then higher ages) in a retail setting would be extremely difficult and onerous. Of course, all the usual comparisons about military service and other age of majority thresholds will be brought into play.

It is directed at the adolescent population who have an extremely low rate of smoking as it is (presently 1% of 11-15 year olds), for which smoking is increasingly a thing of the past -
https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-inf...021/part-1-smoking-prevalence-and-consumption
Those few who still want to smoke will smoke whatever the government says about age restrictions.

Won't work as they will still get them from somewhere so another government load of shite

Has anyone worked out that anyone born one year after this came into being would never be old enough to buy a packet of fags?

but what about folk with a birthday two weeks after the escalator date? they’ll be in the weird situation of being able to buy fags most of the year, but having to quit for the fortnight before their birthday. maybe they’ve not thought this through.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom