What's new

Upgrade coil

JamesGrizz

Hello guys..

this website has been ever so greatful.. as you have kinda guessed I know bugger all about vapes so my question is I have been on 18ml 60PG/40VG freebase liquid which has been hitting the spot very nicely… now the coil I have been using is running at 10w-14w and after a week I felt like 14w just wasn’t hitting the spot anymore so I upgraded the coil to a 0.65 which is 14w-18w obviously this is a stronger coil so it it normal to make me cough slightly when trying w stronger coil because it hold little bit more power when I put it on 14w it’s fine as the weaker coil had a max of 14w but 15+ makes me cough slightly is this normal and safe because I’ve been used to a weaker coil or does this mean 18ml nictone is too strong for me with a stronger coil? When it was suiting me fine on the weaker coil even though after a week I was getting less throat hit so I though upgrading the coil would help that?

A couple of things……
In my experience, the wattage range for coils is somewhat over rated. My coils (Nautilus 1 ohm mesh) are rated at 13-15w but I run them, quite nicely, at no more than 9w
Running a coil at the lower end of the range (or below) will help with coil life.
If you are running your coils at the upper/top end of the range, it could be than the coil had reached end of life and needed replacement.
As I think was mentioned in a previous thread, 18mg is maybe too much for you/your style of vaping? May be a case that running a lower ohm coil
at/towards to top end of its recommended range is just not a good combination for you.
I’d try a weaker juice (12mg) and experiment with the best wattage that suits you - starting low (lower than recommended even) and increasing by 1 watt at a time.
There are no hard & fast rules regarding coil resistance, nic content or wattage - Sadly, you may need to have a period of “playing around” to find what hits your sweet spot.
Good luck ;)

A lower resistance coil tends to be larger than a lower resistance coil so, generally, you need to run it at slightly higher power settings so the coil will heat up - this is because when you increase the amount of metal used to make the coil you need more power to heat it. A larger coil will cover more cotton so more vapour is produced.

At the moment you are using 18mg nicotine and Freebase nic tends to have a fairly strong throat hit - increasing the amount of power and the subsequent increased amount of vapour could be making the throat hit a bit too much and making you cough.

if you want to stick with freebase nicotine you may have to drop to 12mg as this will be less harsh. If you want to stick with a higher nicotine concentration then i recommend you try 20mg nic salt juices as it doesn't have much throat hit and, for many, is a smoother vape.

If you are getting a good vape with your current set up but it gets samey or less satisfying after a week, instead of changing a good set up why not just try a different juice and keep everything else the same? Up grading, if that`s how you see it, to lower resistance without knowing what to expect can lead to disappointment. Many of the posts you will read on this and many other forums are from seasoned veterans who know what to expect when they make a change, that knowledge will come in time and for the most part cant be rushed.
I`ve always said that the only thing that matters in vaping is what comes out of the drip tip and keeps you away from ciggies if that`s a kit that vapes at 1.2 ohms and 9 watts then great, you`ve cracked it.

Experimenting can get very costly in this game and with the best will in the world even the best advice can be very well intentioned but unfathomable without the experience to put it to good use. For instance if someone gets you set up with a lower resistance atty that vapes just how you like it then after a few days you start getting dry hits or it floods or the ohms jump about, how do you deal with that? If after a week you need to clean the coil and change the wick, how?

If you stick with what you say is a satisfying vape but maybe add a juice or 2 for a change and keep researching then maybe when you feel ready to move to lower resistance, higher wattage devices you`ll be better equiped to deal with any of the many little problems that will come up.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do and stay away from the ciggies.

Hi @JamesGrizz, you'll find that using a 0.65 ohm coil will be a bigger coil that needs more power and will therefore produce more vapour. So my advice would be to open up your air flow, more vapour needs more air. You may find a larger drip tip more comfortable for your throat too. More vapour with more heat means more nicotine too so 18mg will probably be too much for you. You may want to consider a 70% vg juice too if its harsh.

These things are tricky. because there is no fixed answer. I've been vaping on 0.65 to 0.7 coils for years at 11w max. It's not just about the resistance, wire size, wire type all play a part.

As @John R Phillips said, that recommended wattage is just that.... a recommendation. (or a maximum)

When I first started vaping I would alter the watts over the day, in the morning I would need to lower or I would cough, then I would turn it up a bit in the evening.

I don't think I would recommend a lower nicotine at the moment, if 18mg was starting 'not to hit the spot' at 14w then lowering it could make that worse.

I don't really know, but I think we all do a certain amount of experimentation at first to find what suits us. I think you just need to do the same and find what works for you.

also throat hit will lessen as you continue to vape and get 'used to it' ... that's pretty normal I think, I don't really get any these days.

It's like when we smoked and your first fag ripped your throat out and made you cough like hell... after a while you are chain vaping marlboros.

If you haven't done it already I would try Nic Salt juice as there is little throat hit regardless of the strength. You will either like it or loath it - personally I can only vape 3mg Freebase nicotine and find anything higher than that will give me throat problems. I can't vape 18mg at all as I find it the throat hit agonising - and I smoked Old Holburn/Samson/Golden Vig unfiltered rollies for 30 years.

If you haven't tried Nic Salt I recommend you pick up a single 10ml bottle to try out. You'll either like it or hate it, but no particular type of nic suits everyone and you will very quickly find out which you prefer, and if the Freebase is irritating your throat, for a few quid.

Back
Top Bottom