What's new

Coil building help

Use steamengine as a guide. Using wire wizard tab you can enter dia, number of wraps & select wire type & gauge. By changing any of those you can see how it affects the final resistance.
Should be used by anybody new to coil building as it allows you to try different scenarios before putting a coil in.

More wraps of the same diameter coil means more resistance, as there’s more metal for the electricity to get through between the posts - you’ll see this if you unwind them. The coils are just a way of adding length to the wire while still fitting it in a small space.

I always use the analogy of a road, since it’s quite simple and works well - longer wire means it will take a car (the electricity) longer to get from a to b, since the wire (the road) is longer. That’s why more coils is bringing the resistance up.

Thicker wire can fit more down it at the same time (like adding an extra lane to the road), so the resistance is lower.

If you add an extra coil (such as by making a parallel build, twisted build or a dual coil setup) you’re giving the electricity twice as much wire that it can go through - so the resistance is halved (I.e. it’s half as difficult for the electricity to get from one end to the other).

I hope that doesn’t sound too simplistic, but it illustrates how resistance is affected by the wire.

Different materials have different resistances, which is why you’d need to do one wrap to get a 0.1 ohm coil out of kanthal - with something like nickel you’d need a dozen or more.

Other materials have other properties, such as being able to use temp control, or heating up quicker than kanthal (which has a pretty slow ramp up time). Kanthal seems to be the standard though, which is why I bought it first too!

I suppose more wire in contact with the cotton would be beneficial, but you’ve got to work with what’s practical and (to an extent) what you’ve got available.

There will be plenty of people who can help with getting big clouds, but my understanding is that it’s a mixture of high airflow, low ohm coils, high VG liquid and a lot of power.

Have a mess about on steam engine, and try a variety of builds - I imagine you’re using something regulated. I use twisted kanthal quite often at about 4 wraps for about 0.3 ohms which seems to work quite nice and not Gunk up too bad, which is a bonus.
Cheers this helped alot.

Back
Top Bottom