What's new

photo's too large?

tic-tac-toe-too-tiny.gif

You're still not getting it.

Think of the site server as a storage box. It only has a limited amount of space. You can fit in masses of tiny little pictures that take up hardly any space or your can fill your storage up with a few huge copies and your storage space will run out in no time.

That's why it's a problem when you get so many large picture files keep being uploaded and the site will then try to limit how big files are allowed to be.

It's also the reason why the site now needs to be purged because so much of the server space has got filled up with files which are massively larger than they need to be.

Over the last few years they have built up and take up far too much space on the server.

Ok, if you want to change the discussion from DPI, that's fine. I run my own server (24TB of storage), so I am well aware of how that works as well...

Ok, if you want to change the discussion from DPI, that's fine. I run my own server (24TB of storage), so I am well aware of how that works as well...

The topic is written in the thread title and I haven't changed anything.

Everything I've talked about has been about discussing the reasons why a lot of the uploaded files are too large and the reason why that matters on the site.

People post straight from their phones, it's not so much an issue on a pc or laptop. These days most phones have decent photo editing software though.

I'm on Android phone set to save the photo as jpeg. But to be honest it's set to 6MP and photos often are a smidge over 2MB in size.

Okay everyone, I’ve tried to wade through all of this, and compiled the suggestions I’ve managed to glean from the posts.:22:

Here’s a list:
  1. Resizing Your Photographs (iow taking a jpeg etc and making it smaller than 1mb)
    1. Crop or resize the photograph yourself
    2. Reduce megapixels on your phone
    3. Photoresizer app
    4. GIMP
    5. Stackexchange
    6. Windows Power Toys Resizer
  2. Uploading Your Photographs (sites that allow free uploading of photos, and the post link is then copied onto the forum)
    1. Photobucket
    2. Imgur
    3. Postimage.org

If I’ve misunderstood, or you have further suggestions, feel free to copy this, correct or add to it, and help all of us out :2thumbsup:

Perhaps we can pin this afterwards :hmm:

Last edited:
Oooh, someone edited the title of this thread.
Well done whoever it was - it was starting to grate on me ;)
Yes, I changed it :18:

The grammar can truly be atrocious on the forum, Commas and periods help us understand the gist of a statement or opinion…yes, I’m talking to you @vapesmarter :18::18::18:

Stephen Fry rang me up personally to complain :23:

giphy.gif

Edit: Apologies for the ranting, it was a bit off topic :17:

Last edited:
:10:
Yes, I changed it :18:

The grammar can truly be atrocious on the forum, Commas and periods help us understand the gist of a statement or opinion…yes, I’m talking to you @vapesmarter :18::18::18:

Stephen Fry rang me up personally to complain :23:

giphy.gif

Edit: Apologies for the ranting, it was a bit off topic :17:

feel free to edit my post with the appropriate grammar and punctuation.:10:

When using Windows the windows power toys resizer is by far the quickest and easiest way to resize photos , just right click and resize is in the context menu

Back
Top Bottom