What's new

RBA vs pre-built - Please explain

Reti

Postman
Hey guys,

So what's the deal with RBA vaping? Is the difference really worth it to go from prebuilt all in one tanks to RBA's?
What kind of thing can you change and by how much just from using different materials and different shaped coils that you make yourself? Is the difference that noticeable?

Surely the companies that sell ready made coils/atomizers for your tank have many years experience and know what it is that makes the perfect coil and you can't beat that by making your own?

I've heard the flavour is more intense, and I suppose that would make sense for the ones with dual coils.

One thing that confuses me is I've heard some you have to drip the liquid on your cotton, vape and then drip some more rather than filling a tank? From the positioning of the coils sat at the bottom in the photos I've seen, I don't get how that can create vapour if that same tank is filled with eliquid. A normal atomizer makes sense with the way it's set up with a kind of tube of cotton surrounded by coil with space in the middle for the vapour to come up. But the RBA looks like the coil wrapped around cotton in a horizontal position at the bottom. I can't see how that works.

Obviously I have zero experience with RBA's but it's making me curious what it's like. How does it work and is it that different?

Thanks

I assume you mean stock coils and not pre-made coils you can buy to use in rbas as opposed to making your own coils for them. In my experience the big difference between a stock coil tank and an rba is the flavour is more pronounced on the latter and you can tailor your vape using different types of coils plus TC if that's your thing. Coil costs are also much lower with rbas.

The dripping of juice you mention refers to a dripper (rda) which don't use a tank to contain juice though you can spuonk with them. I've not used one as couldn't be bothered with that but many love them.

One major pro with RBAs is it extends the life of the tank as, with stock coilers, once the stock coils stop being manufactured the tank is essentially a paperweight. A few manufacturers do continue to make compatible coils for years (Aspire Nautilus for example) but for many the coil supplied can dry up pretty quickly shortly after the tank is removed from sale.

i haven't used stock coil tanks for over 5 years now, but it used to be that many of the old roundwire stock coils didn't give great flavour - in many cases a well built RBA was a vast improvement, but this isn't necessarily the case since Mesh stock coils became the norm. However, as I haven't used stock coils for ages I can't say for certain.

Cost difference is a major pro for RBAs - a spool of decent wire and a pack of cotton will cost less than a pack of coils and will last for years - you'll probably have to buy a pack of coils once a month.

When the cotton gets manky in an RBA you can change it in minutes - i had a tendency to try to get the longest possible life from my coils so would carry on vaping them until the bitter end so the last half of the total amount of juice i put through it didn't taste as good as the first half. Admittedly I'm a cheap bastard, but in retrospect it was a waste of good juice. I didn't do this with RBAs as the cost of a cotton change is practically zero.

The only stock coil tanks I've kept have RBA heads, The rest I've given away if stock coils were available or binned if sourcing coils was a pain..

One problem that I have with RBAs is - RTAs tend to be better. It takes exactly the same skills and tools to build an RTA as it does an RBA so if you're thinking of buying an RBA head maybe look into RTAs, but RBA or RTA I think it is definitely worth trying out. even if you find stock coils preferable it is useful to have a back up if you run out/your local shop runs out of coils.

edit...

I assumed you were asking about an RBA head to use in a stock coil tank.

Rebuildables where you have to drip - RDAs - are pretty much all I use at home as I find the flavour better and am willing to put up with the hassle of dripping, but I wouldn't consider taking one with me when I'm outdoors as regular dripping and carrying a bottle of juice with me is too much of a hassle. At home I find RDAs worth the extra work of dripping - unless I'm watching a movie or doing something that requires paying attention - then I'll go for an RTA.

Last edited:
The best analogy I read on here was making your own coils was like making bread. It's the same thing as you can buy in shops but it just tastes that bit better.

As Crispy says, the cost is a massive difference and I think manufacturers try to get a coil to last, sacrificing some flavour. I much prefer the vape on an rta and if set up correctly there is definitely more flavour and nuance to your juice. But it needs to be set up right and that can take some practice, certainly to get it repeatable. Patience is definitely required to build your own but I personally think it's worth it. But then some people don't care and just want a coil that you can pop in and works.

The other aspect I like is not having to worry about buggering up a stock coil with a strong flavoured juice or using the correct wattage all the time. I'm another tight bastard and I hated worrying about extending coil life and getting the most out of a pricy coil. Now I just change cotton and go again. Easy!

RDA = Rebuildable Dripping Atomiser, no tank, easy access to coil and cotton to drip on liquid
upload_2023-10-26_15-48-25.png

RTA = Rebuildable Tank Atomiser - liquid kept in tank, feeds through to keep cotton saturated, coil and cotton hidden away
upload_2023-10-26_15-49-17.png

RDTA = Rebuildable Dripping Tank Atomiser - a mash up of the 2 above. A tank that feeds the cotton/coil, but also easy access if you want to drip on it
upload_2023-10-26_15-51-3.png

Main benefits of these compared to stock coils, pretty much as described above. Cheap to run, customisable, no worries about stock coil availability, generally better flavour and and nicer vape.

Downsides are that it's a learning curve (though not a big one tbf) and it's a bit of a PITA to keep recoiling and wicking. I like mine fresh, I rarely put more than a tankful through before chaging the coil, so that's 10m out of my day gone every day.

I`d say versatility is the biggest difference, with a stock coiler once you`ve put the coil in you only have af and wattage to make your vape, with a RTA or RDA or RDA bf you can make or choose a lighter or heavier mass coil, vary your wicking or even delve into the black art of temperature controlled vaping, but it does take on being more of a hobby, so if you enjoy plug and play vaping and it keeps you off cigs it`s all good.

i prefer rebuildables because they just work better. they are better thought out, and it’s just a better package as a whole. very smooth and quiet airflow, adjust it to what’s perfect for you with various pins, much cheaper as @Crispycritters says.

i’ve not used a stock coil tank that’s anywhere near as nice to puff as my favourite rebuildables.

Rebuildables are economical and once you have found that perfect build you are set. Never again will you get a duff coil. Yes, in the beginning you'll get a few hiccups but we all do. Leaking, dry hits and the occasional burned finger when you accidentally press fire whilst still touching the coil but it's well worth it. Watch loads of YouTube tutorials and we are all here to help.

I used to build my own, and didn't think there was much difference between a good built coil, and a stock coil. The only difference was cost. Then stock coils started using mesh, and their flavour was better than a round wire hand built coil in my opinion.
I prefer to use mesh stock coils now, but haven't used a hand built coil since mesh became available for them.

Back
Top Bottom