What's new

Resistance problem?

MarylinC37

Achiever
Hi Guys. I’m having a problem when I’m trying to use a couple of pre-made coils in my Blotto RTA.

For some reason, on my mod the coil resistance is showing a lower value than stated on the packet of coils. I’m using a couple of 3mm Ni80 fused claptons which are supposed to be 0.34ohm. I cut the legs at 5mm, After fitting them into my Blotto the resistance comes up as .18ohm for single coil and .09ohm for the pair. Both my mods show the same reading. My mods won’t work below 0.1ohm.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong and why the resistance is coming up less than what the packet says they should be?

I had the same problem the first time then I wanted to use a pair of .2ohm framed staples and ended up having to take one out which means, with 3mm coils, there's not enough cotton to wick it well enough.

I have an ohm tester on order but haven't got it yet and seeing as my mod has to fire it I think my mod readings are more important right now.

Sure. They are fused claptons. The spec given on the packet is 2-26/36 Ni80 0.34ohm 3mm ID. They have 5 wraps and I haven't done anything to change them. I used my coily tool to cut the legs at 5mm. They are from the Coilogy selection box.

Thanks for helping.

Ni80 can read low until it is properly bedded in and glowing evenly from the centre outwards with no hot spots.

To bed the coil in, glow it gently, strum your tweezers across it (if they aren't ceramic tweezers don't do this while glowing it!) squeeze it together (unless it's spaced), run a coiling rod up and down the centre, rinse and repeat until it glows evenly.

A solution is to either bed one coil in before installing the second, or to bed the coils in one at a time, taking the 1st one out after getting it glowing properly, putting the other one in, getting that glowing right then re-adding the first one, rather than trying to install and bed in both at the same time.

Ni80 can read low until it is properly bedded in and glowing evenly from the centre outwards with no hot spots.

A solution is to either bed one coil in before installing the second, or to bed the coils in one at a time, taking the 1st one out after getting it glowing properly, putting the other one in, getting that glowing right then re-adding the first one, rather than trying to install and bed in both at the same time.

Thank you. I'll give that a try and let you know how I get on.

Sure. They are fused claptons. The spec given on the packet is 2-26/36 Ni80 0.34ohm 3mm ID. They have 5 wraps and I haven't done anything to change them. I used my coily tool to cut the legs at 5mm. They are from the Coilogy selection box.

Thanks for helping.
Bit of a strange one this. The resistance of a coil that type is coming out at around 0.2ohms per coil but dont hold me to this as I cant calculate the exact resistance of the wrap wire.
If you've trimmed the legs to fit in your atty this will reduce the resistance slightly as the resistance of the coils will be measured using the leg length they came with.

Bit of a strange one this. The resistance of a coil that type is coming out at around 0.2ohms per coil but dont hold me to this as I cant calculate the exact resistance of the wrap wire.
If you've trimmed the legs to fit in your atty this will reduce the resistance slightly as the resistance of the coils will be measured using the leg length they came with.

Yes absolutely. That was why I only trimmed them to 5mm rather than 4 or 4.5 as I've seen on all the build videos.

I think what would have helped the design of the tank is if the leg holes were drilled right through the posts then you just trim the legs in situ flush to the post.

Yes absolutely. That was why I only trimmed them to 5mm rather than 4 or 4.5 as I've seen on all the build videos.

I think what would have helped the design of the tank is if the leg holes were drilled right through the posts then you just trim the legs in situ flush to the post.
Yes that would help.
@speedfreek67 explanation of the resistance would change once they are bedded In sounds feasible so that maybe the answer.

@ speedfreek67

Your answer was spot on. Coils bedding fine and now all wicked up and working perfectly. Resistance now reads 0.17ohm for the pair.

Thank you so so much.

Oh oh oh ~ wow wow wow. The flavour is mind blowing.

Back
Top Bottom