What's new

Switching from Mech to Box Mod. Need Help.

brightonguy

Hello all,

TL;DR? Scroll to the section where I marked it TL;DR towards the end of this post.

I will try to keep this as short as possible. I first started vaping in 2009, thanks to Totally Wicked. My first purchase was a Tornado E-NIC, which was a decent kit for me and served its purpose for months. Thanks to this kit, I got hooked up to electronic cigarettes so quickly. I became an enthusiast of electronic cigarettes in my community in Brighton and converted countless tobacco smokers. I was learning all about the different parts and technologies (which weren't too many) and really becoming an expert at things. In the meantime, I upgraded my kit to 510 TITAN E-NI (aka Screwdriver) and I was really happy with that too. Depending on my mood and where I am going, I was switching between the two kits I had. I started collecting tons of different liquids and bought far too many bottles than one can ever consume in their lifetime. Made a little cupboard in my room and neatly organised all the kits and bits and pieces I had. I guess I was carried away by the world of electronic cigarettes a little too much.

Anyway, as I mentioned, back then everything was simple in terms of the terminology used in different parts that makes an electronic cigarette. There was the battery, the atomiser, PG/VG ratio, refillable cartridges and I guess that was about it. Oh and the tweezers we used to take the cotton out of the cartridges, soak them in water overnight and put them back inside the cartridge. This was my daily routine for a while.

After about a year, a friend of mine visited me from Luxembourg. She did not know that I stopped smoking tobacco and switched to electronic cigarettes so she brought a few cartons of cigarettes from Europe where it was considerably cheaper than they were in the UK. When I saw the cartons, I didn't know what to say but I thought, "Well, I will smoke these cigarettes and then move back to electronic cigarettes." One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in my life. That was the last day I smoked electronic cigarettes and gone back to smoking tobacco. Back then, I was already a heavy smoker, smoking at least a pack a day. Fast forward 6 years, up until a month ago, I was smoking over two packs a day... Of course I ended up throwing £400 worth of liquid and equipment away due to moving abroad.

Last week, I don't know what happened but I made an impulse purchase of Odyssey 18650 kit with 18mg tobacco flavour e-liquid. After all these years when I visited the Totally Wicked website, I was surprised with the products I saw as none of them looked familiar. There were tons of new terminology, mods that look like matchboxes, tons more new terminology, watts, volts, ohms, oh my god! I really struggled to understand the products and it wasn't an easy decision to choose a mod. In the end, I looked at the page which said Kits over £50 and chose the one that looked the most decent and familiar: Odyssey 18650 kit. When I was in this page, I learned more terms such as mechanical mods and cloud chasers. I really didn't know what to do. I didn't intend to switch back to electronic cigarettes but I wanted to know what is going on with my beloved electronic cigarettes.

The order arrived. Very decent looking product, same distinct smell of e-liquid (probably the only thing that didn't change over the years). After trying to figure out the assembly of the kit and forgetting to prime the atomiser (I don't think we used the term priming the atomiser back in the days), I started smoking immediately and got hit by a terrible taste and burnt feeling. I am 90% sure it is because I didn't prime the atomiser.

After a day of heavy vaping and getting hit by the dry and burnt feeling more often than I would have liked, I decided to prime the atomiser and fixed things massively.

The following hours, I realised how much more brands and products are available. The sheer amount of websites and resources regarding electronic cigarettes are far too much that I actually struggle to find a distinct resource to help me understand all of these new terminology.

I have decided to order some liquids from the US as they were having some crazy sales pre-8 August. I ordered some from Black Note, Crescent City Clouds and Alchemyst. I like them all so far.

[TL;DR] I have also the following order on their way, which is the main reason of this post:
  • WISMEC Reuleaux RX200S 200W TC Box Mod
  • Smok TF-T4 0.46ohm Coil Head for TFV4 / TFV4 Mini
  • SMOK TFV4 RTA
  • WISMEC Reuleaux RX2 / 3 150W / 200W TC Box Mod
  • Eleaf EC Head Replacement Coil Head 0.3ohm for iJust 2 Atomizer Melo Atomizer Cotton Coil Head
  • Eleaf EC Head Replacement Coil Head 0.5ohm for iJust 2 Atomizer Melo Atomizer Cotton Coil Head
  • Nitecore NL189 18650 3400mAh 3.7V 12.6Wh Rechargeable Li-on Battery
  • Nitecore D4 Digicharger
My questions are:
  1. For the love of God, can one of you point me to a direction where I can learn more about box modes? You know, their settings and what these mods can and cannot do?
  2. I massively struggle to understand different types of coils that are on sale. There seems to be far too many different types of coils and I really don't know which one is compatible with which.
  3. The same applies to tanks. People seem to mix and match the mod and the coil and the tank and something called a dripper which I am not sure exactly what it does or do I need it or is it compatible with every tank.

I don't think I am super new to the world of electronic cigarettes but I think I have a lot to catch up and I am looking to get help some help from you helpful bunch.

All the best.

I've learned a lot from youtubers reviews to be fair mate. Have a look at GrimmGreen, RIPtrippers or Vaping Bogan. If they have reviewed the items you have on order between the three of them you'll know everything you'll ever need to know about the equipment.

Just a warning, Vaping Bogan is definitely NSFW as he swears quite frequently. He is my favourite reviewer out of the 3 though tbf.

@brightonguy i thort you were going to keep it short ;) only jokeing iv only been vapeing a few months and learning all the time iv spent hours reading on this forum load of info and loads of ppl that help and give advice o and take the piss all good fun keep comeing back on here have a read ask a question or ten you will soon pick it up again :2thumbsup:

Welcome back to the wonderful world of ecigarettes! :D

With all the choice available now, it's a good start to work out what it is you want out of your kit - all those different choices have evolved to meet various particular needs, so it makes much more sense to start by working out what your needs are. Do you like a tight draw, or loose and airy? Are you wanting MTL (mouth to lung, similar to the way people smoke cigarettes) or DTL (direct to lung, as it says)? Do you want clouds of vapour or intense flavour (you can have some of both, but not both extremes)?

Some people (I'm one of them) have stuck with low ohm builds and MTL vaping with a fairly tight draw aimed at getting the maximum flavour, but not too bothered about producing much in the way of cloudage. Others are enjoying sub ohm builds at high wattages and producing lots of vapour, and a good number of those are getting their flavour by using drippers (no tank - just literally drip the juice onto your coil and vape until it needs more juice dripped).

There's lots of info on here, and plenty of help if you need it - you only have to ask. Enjoy! :D

Back
Top Bottom