What's new

Wires and coils

Insky

Hello lads, im new to this site and even though i have been vaping for a while only recently started to get interessed in rebuilding. I currently have a Drop Dead RDA and a Hellvape Passage RDA, my mods are a VandyVape Swell and a Aegis Solo.
So major problem so far in rebuilding is the wires. I got a KA1 Flat Clapton 26ga*18ga+32ga and a N80 QuadCore Fused Clapton 28ga*4+36ga. Honestly i like both the flavour and the clouds,with the KA1 wire i get a pretty decent flavour but the lowest build i could do was around 0.3ohms on a dual coil buil. With the N80 my problem is dry burning and coil starting to open, managed to get a 0.18ohm on a dual coil build but still had some problems. I did all the low wattage dry burn for the N80 but still didnt work out well, besides i got 0.18 with 5 wraps, tried 6 wraps it was pretty big and my mod detected as 0.11ohms.

Can all you veterans please give me some insite on good wires to use with good flavour and good could production?

Welcome to POTV @Insky

Ni80 heats up faster than Kanthal, so you are better off with less wraps or space them slightly, the Drop Dead has longer wicking so often doesn't keep up.

0.18 ohms Ni80 is a decent setup for dual coil so try and aim for that with your 5 wraps but space them slightly, also make sure your wick isn't too tight.

But if you're still having problems go back to the 0.3 ohms Kanthal as you were happy with that.

Sorry I didn't actually answer your end question, the wires you have sound ideal for an RDA, I use the same spec Ni80 quite a lot in my builds, you could always try single coiling them aiming for 0.3 ohms.

Here's a build showing the spacing in the Drop RDA that came out at 0.16 ohms

Drop-Ni80.jpg

Sorry I didn't actually answer your end question, the wires you have sound ideal for an RDA, I use the same spec Ni80 quite a lot in my builds, you could always try single coiling them aiming for 0.3 ohms.

Here's a build showing the spacing in the Drop RDA that came out at 0.16 ohms

View attachment 199410

Thank you for you help, and that pic really helped alot, even though i like the KA1 build i get alot more flavour from the NI80 the only thing i noticed is that it gets very very warm, for example if i puff 4/5 times in a minute the tank gets very warm and it takes almost 10m until it cooldowns properly. I did a 5 wrap build on the Hellvape Passage with 0.18ohms and a 4 wrap build on the DropDead with 0.11ohms but the Dropdead build if i go over 90W the vapor its so hot it makes me cough while in the Passage i can go to 120w but then the tank gets very warm really fast, im not chain vaping and my puffs are usually 2~3 seconds at most.

I havent tried spacing the coil but i will try it today and see if that works out well. See in this photo is those black lines in the coil normal?

Attachments

• 20190830_152843.jpg
    20190830_152843.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 207
Thank you for you help, and that pic really helped alot, even though i like the KA1 build i get alot more flavour from the NI80 the only thing i noticed is that it gets very very warm, for example if i puff 4/5 times in a minute the tank gets very warm and it takes almost 10m until it cooldowns properly. I did a 5 wrap build on the Hellvape Passage with 0.18ohms and a 4 wrap build on the DropDead with 0.11ohms but the Dropdead build if i go over 90W the vapor its so hot it makes me cough while in the Passage i can go to 120w but then the tank gets very warm really fast, im not chain vaping and my puffs are usually 2~3 seconds at most.

I havent tried spacing the coil but i will try it today and see if that works out well. See in this photo is those black lines in the coil normal?

Actually that build looks spot on as it is slightly spaced but your wattage sounds way too high, try my OCD magic number 66.6 Watts, close your airlfow a third and go from there.

The Drop Dead does get hot as the coil is closer to your mouth, it also struggles to keep up with wicking on Ni80 coils especially at such a low Ohms, add an extra wrap but my advice is drop the drop dead and get a Drop Solo - far better flavour and a lower coil.

The most success I have had with the Drop Dead is in TC mode with SS316L coils, no dry hits or burnt wick.

Your coils look fine, darkening is normal after dry burning & vaping.

Sorry on closer look (100% zoom) at your photo it does need spacing a little, you can do it to the ones you have fitted, use ceramic tweezers and stretch it from the centre outwards, you will likely need to wick it again.

Sorry on closer look (100% zoom) at your photo it does need spacing a little, you can do it to the ones you have fitted, use ceramic tweezers and stretch it from the centre outwards, you will likely need to wick it again.

I have to try and space it a bit then. Just one question you said to start with 66.6 watts, that's on the Drop Dead with 0.11 build? Isn't that a bit low for it ? I also bought some 316SS just to try some builds, can I use it in Power Mode without any concerns our would I be better using it in TC?

At the moment I'm using my Hellvape Passage, working good so far 0.15ohm with 110w that photo I upload it's actually from the Passage, will try and space it to see if it works better. Thanks for the tips mate

Sorry that was a bit vague, I was referring to a 0.18 build, 66.6 watts It's a starting point, work your way up, but ideally you would be better raising the ohms to 0.15 +

I don't own a Hellvape Passage but it looks a lower height build than the Drop Dead so won't get as hot, I would try the same coil but single coil it so should be over 0.22 ohms, I did it on the Drop and it worked a charm.

SS316L can be used in power mode but it's slower to heat up, especially chunky coils, to get the best out of it TC mode is ideal with preheat higher.

Give the single spaced coil a try first, you might just prefer it as I did. (I used a framed staple clapton but your flat claptons will be fine)

DropDrop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom