What's new

You are invited to offer your thoughts.

What rickster said.. although uk wide isn't necessary. For me i want to feel I'm really making a difference.. not just adding to a bank account.

Right, let me just say that "IF" it goes ahead as i have been asked if i would like to do another charity raffle in 2019... now some of you may not know the work @Rob has put in to previous charity raffles and i have also made a couple of custom one offs just for those occasions, and thats stressfull enough but worth it.
Now as far as i was concerned "it was not broken" then so no need to try and fix it for the next one "IF" it happens....back then it was Myself & @Rob (with help from carol) and sorry but thats the ONLY way i will get involved.

Right, let me just say that "IF" it goes ahead as i have been asked if i would like to do another charity raffle in 2019... now some of you may not know the work @Rob has put in to previous charity raffles and i have also made a couple of custom one offs just for those occasions, and thats stressfull enough but worth it.
Now as far as i was concerned "it was not broken" then so no need to try and fix it for the next one "IF" it happens....back then it was Myself & @Rob (with help from carol) and sorry but thats the ONLY way i will get involved.
Please don't let yourself be the leaf that falls from the tree. You guys keep it altogether.

@Rob you have done a fantastic job for the previous raffles and I'm sure you will try your hardest to keep it up this time, don't let anyones opinions think you missed the mark, these raffles surpassed the expected amount as far as I can remember so job done and then some. +1 from me on the idea of having non vape related items, could potentially bring more prizes in from the people that don't work in the industry or have anything to donate, along with entrants who may be interested in something non vape related. I have recently raffled a couple of my art pieces at the kids school ;) As for a charity maybe set up a vote thread for a few popular ones and see which comes up top, I tend to mainly support Cancer based charities as they are usually closest to my heart!

I think that the simple fact of the matter is that times are hard for a lot of people and there are a lot of fundraisers going on everywhere right now both on and offline.

At work in the last few months we have had a collection for the wife of a colleague who is hoping to be able to get some experimental cancer treatment, a toy collection, Macmillan, Xmas Jumper Day and another that I forget. There are also two guys running the London Marathon who are both good friends who need support for their charities.

There have been charity raffles on UKS, SV, NEV and other groups that I am in and they have all been a bit down on usual totals (maybe one of them has external factors).

Add in the time of year and the fact that there is a bit of a lull in interest/tech in vaping from hobbyists (the 2nd hand market is a perfect example) and it creates a perfect storm for a bit of a slow raffle.

Overall the formula works. It isn’t that anything needs changing, it is just the way it is at the moment.

(Off to buy some tickets).

I think it works as it is. The raffle last year really opened my eyes to what a good bunch of people are on here and encouraged me to stay.

The people that give to these charity things are the type that always will imo. I think for most the prizes are just a bonus rather than an incentive.

Now this has probably been thought of or mentioned but I think the timing is important. Last year I hadn't started to think about Christmas when the raffle ran so managed to contribute more. I know this time round is more a mini one compared to the extravaganzas of the past but i would have liked to have given more.

Damn kids and their need for presents.

Great Point @Gitchy :)

We would be looking around Mid Year I believe for next year's one, so hopefully will avoid anything else. :)

As a fairly new member on the forum, I thought your RNLI idea was a great one. I'm sorry I can't offer much by way of suggestions as to how it could be better, as I wasn't here in the previous years to make any comparison. There are some great thoughts and ideas in the thread, one that caught my eye, was having a vote to choose the next recipient, that way the consensus would be the way to go. I also agree that, although it would be good for the site vendors to donate items, forcing them to do this probably wouldn't work so I wouldn't do that. Giving freely is always better than giving under duress.
As for charities, like everyone else, I hate to hear about children suffering from cancer and leukemia, so any charity that supports these poor kids would get a vote from me.
I also see a lot of 'Veteran' avatars on the forum. Some of our veterans have not had the support from our Government that they should have and are out there on the streets, with nowhere to go and no real help to get out of their poverty and hard times, there are charities out there trying to help.
Finally, I think it's fantastic that a bunch of ex smokers and committed vapers do something like this. It's not what I expected when I joined.
For everyone to get involved and show so much compassion for people less fortunate than themselves, is absolutely brilliant.

You should all be proud.

:yourock:

@MavicP :) Yes the "Veteran" badge gets misconstrued a lot. It actually refers to time served and Posts made on POTV. :)

@MavicP :) Yes the "Veteran" badge gets misconstrued a lot. It actually refers to time served and Posts made on POTV. :)

Yes, I understand that Rob, what I meant was there are one or two forces veterans who use the 'Armed Forces Veteran' crest as their avatar picture.
I wasn't suggesting that we have a whip round for the long term members of POTV....;)

Back
Top Bottom