What's new

Panorama On Teenage Vaping

i think because it isn’t the simple equation you think it is. less kids have been smoking since before kids started vaping, and the kids of ten years ago are no longer kids.
I don't know what you mean by that, but on this page from ASH (from June 2023) -
https://ash.org.uk/resources/view/use-of-e-cigarettes-among-young-people-in-great-britain
You can check the full report -
https://ash.org.uk/uploads/Use-of-vapes-among-young-people-GB-2023.pdf
Current use of cigarettes and e-cigarettes over time, GB youth (11-17), 2013-2023
In 2013 - 6% smoked, and is now 3.6% in 2023
In 2013 - 0.8% vaped, and is now 7.6% in 2023
Therefore smoking down, but vaping up.
And also with the aspect -
Current use of e-cigarettes among 11-17 year olds is considerably higher among current smokers (57%) than former smokers (42%) or never smokers (2.3%).

They present the statistics in such a way to show that most 18 year old smokers started off vaping.

What they don't mention is that most 14 year old vapers would have been smoking had vaping not existed, and the number of 18 year old smokers has gone down, as you pointed out.

I mentioned on here a few years back that it made sense, statistically, to issue all 13 year olds with vape kits. Smoking would die out in a generation.

That post drew some lols - even on here people couldn't get their heads round the idea of doing something because it was logical without letting emotions get in the way. We have no chance with the general public.

I don't know what you mean by that, but on this page from ASH (from June 2023) -
https://ash.org.uk/resources/view/use-of-e-cigarettes-among-young-people-in-great-britain
You can check the full report -
https://ash.org.uk/uploads/Use-of-vapes-among-young-people-GB-2023.pdf
Current use of cigarettes and e-cigarettes over time, GB youth (11-17), 2013-2023
In 2013 - 6% smoked, and is now 3.6% in 2023
In 2013 - 0.8% vaped, and is now 7.6% in 2023
Therefore smoking down, but vaping up.
And also with the aspect -
Current use of e-cigarettes among 11-17 year olds is considerably higher among current smokers (57%) than former smokers (42%) or never smokers (2.3%).

what i mean is that smoking among children and young people has been steadily declining for decades. the prevalence of vaping among them in the last few years has nothing, or very little, to do with declining of child smokers.

I mentioned on here a few years back that it made sense, statistically, to issue all 13 year olds with vape kits. Smoking would die out in a generation.

That post drew some lols - even on here people couldn't get their heads round the idea of doing something because it was logical without letting emotions get in the way. We have no chance with the general public.

that’s prob because it’s not logical, though :)

do you not remember debates on here years ago about this stuff when the antis were on about marketing to kids, way before disposables were a thing? this stuff is no new. they just have more ammunition now so there are articles on the bbc etc.
I detest the BBC

but I also detest disposables

Im so confused right now - im having an existential crisis.

so

vaping is bad however

"It is estimated that each year around 207,000 children in the UK start smoking.1 Among adult smokers, about two-thirds report that they took up smoking before the age of 18 and over 80% before the age of 20.2 The 2011 General Lifestyle Survey of adult smokers revealed that almost two-fifths (40%) had started smoking regularly before the age of 16.3

The annual Government survey of smoking among secondary school pupils in England defines regular smoking as smoking at least one cigarette per week. However, most pupils smoke considerably more than this, and in 2018 pupils classified as regular smokers smoked a mean (average) of 24.7 cigarettes a week. Occasional smokers, which includes young people who describe themselves as non-smokers but smoke more than one cigarette per week, consume on average 4.3 cigarettes a week.4"

so over 80% of people took up smoking over 18

we now have vaping like it or not china one of the world's worst countries with smoking and smoking-related deaths has, in fact, stumbled upon a product that has cured the problem of smoking that they don't sell fully in their own country. that is the disposable.

let's not mess about, getting anyone who is say in their 50s a lifelong smoker off cigarettes, Giving them a simple device that they don't even have to light needs not to worry about it burning the house down has no nasty smells like a sour ashtray is a no brainer.

but the problem is the kids using them and in fact, that is a problem, so, we could ban them we could hide them away, we could make them prescriptions but this won't help the smokers.

It seems ironic that a product that's deemed as a cure for smoking is looking at being banned but the product it has been used to replace, to aid people who quit using it. Are still available in corner shops, in supermarkets, in garage forecourts

i would have banned cigarettes to start

edit i will correct this in fact

china has the highest rates of smokers in the world 1 in 3 smoke, the highest rates of death, and the highest rates of death from secondhand smoke....ouch

Last edited:
What they don't mention is that most 14 year old vapers would have been smoking had vaping not existed...
Precisely.. it's extremely obvious, and anyone that says otherwise is either ignorant or in denial...
what i mean is that smoking among children and young people has been steadily declining for decades. the prevalence of vaping among them in the last few years has nothing, or very little, to do with declining of child smokers.
Of course it has...
Are you seriously trying to suggest that a far safer (and more pleasurable in many opinions) form of taking nicotine hasn't massively impacted numbers of people smoking (in all age groups)?

So Leia starting smoking when she was 12 and gave up when switching to vaping at 14 and has been vaping for 3 years. Amusingly little is made of that she was breaking the law by smoking and is now by vaping or that the overall consensus health wise is she is better off vaping than smoking.

Back
Top Bottom